iPad 3 owners / previous iPad 2 owners: is new iPad worth $100 more than iPad 2?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You seem determined at least.

I was determined to find a reason to upgrade to the new iPad and after playing with it for a while and comparing it side by side with the iPad 2 and alongside total strangers, 'I' couldn't find a reason to upgrade. the 2 families that were present asked for my opinion and I gave it. I asked them what their opinions were and it mirrored mine. No one in those families had ever purchased or owned an iPad, at least that's what they told me. It's not as if they were reading forum posts or reviews of some sort. They were physically and visually comparing the two devices just like I was. After some time and after talking to a Best Buy rep who told them exactly what i had already told them, they opted to purchase the iPad 2. I have yet to read anything that disses the new iPad, but I have read where some of us with iPad 2's do not consider it a viable upgrade and I've read where some owners of iPad 2's considered it a worthy upgrade. To each his or her own. I will stick with my iPad 2 and I am determined to enjoy it as long as I have it. ;)

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How anyone can say the display compared to the old display is not a huge improvement is beyond me. :confused:

The display of the new iPad is absolutely gorgeous. No doubt about it. Yet, the display of my iPad 2, although not a retina display, is still remarkably bright and I can see words and images without difficulty. It's not a 3.5 inch display like on the iPhone. Therefore, if anyone says that they have trouble reading on the displays of the original iPad or the iPad 2, then their device is either turned off, their display is nonfunctioning, they're legally or completely blind or their eyes are closed. ;)

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The display of the new iPad is absolutely gorgeous. No doubt about it. Yet, the display of my iPad 2, although not a retina display, is still remarkably bright and I can see words and images without difficulty. It's not a 3.5 inch display like on the iPhone. Therefore, if anyone says that they have trouble reading on the displays of the original iPad or the iPad 2, then their device is either turned off, their display is nonfunctioning, they're legally or completely blind or their eyes are closed. ;)

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

It does appear blurry compared to the retina display. I can pick out the individual pixels on the older devices very easily. It's like going from a 3GS to 4. Painful to look at the older screen once you are used to the high resolution of the new display. But that alone doesn't make the original iPad or 2 poor devices.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped... Painful to look at the older screen once you are used to the high resolution of the new display. ...(snipped)
That's the point! The display of the first two iPads is more than adequate as well as the specs of the iPad 2 and that is what a lot of people are witnessing when comparing to the new iPad or while considering an upgrade to the new iPad. My opinion in regard to upgrading from an iPad 2 is from a practical standpoint and not from a technical one.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
new iPad Display Technology Shoot-Out

Apple has taken the very good display on the iPad 2 and dramatically improved two of its major weak points: sharpness and color saturation ? they are now state-of-the-art. Our lab tests and visual tests agree with Apple?s claim that the new iPad has ?the best display ever on a mobile device? so we have awarded the new iPad the Best Mobile Display Award in DisplayMate?s Best Video Hardware Guide. But there?s more?the new iPad?s picture quality, color accuracy, and gray scale are not only much better than any other Tablet or Smartphone, it?s also much better than most HDTVs, laptops, and monitors. In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor.

Viewing Tests: What makes the new iPad really shine is its very accurate colors and picture quality. It?s most likely better and more accurate than any display you own (unless it?s a calibrated professional display). In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor. See our detailed measurements.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
That's the point! The display of the first two iPads is more than adequate as well as the specs of the iPad 2 and that is what a lot of people are witnessing when comparing to the new iPad or while considering an upgrade to the new iPad. My opinion in regard to upgrading from an iPad 2 is from a practical standpoint and not from a technical one.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Besides screen having 4 times the pixels, me getting 30-40 Mbps download and 10-20 Mbps upload is huge if you want to use one with network. Camera is now usuable. Some people say it not a much of a upgrade. That can be said with any version. Going from the 1 to the iPad 2 gave a crappy 2 MP camera, thinner, and more RAM. Its all just opinion.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Besides screen having 4 times the pixels, me getting 30-40 Mbps download and 10-20 Mbps upload is huge if you want to use one with network. Camera is now usuable. Some people say it not a much of a upgrade. That can be said with any version. Going from the 1 to the iPad 2 gave a crappy 2 MP camera, thinner, and more RAM. Its all just opinion.

Well stated...;)

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I completely disagree. As I was setting my new iPad 3 next to the iPad 2, I could tell right away which one is the new one. And I do think the screen alone is worth the upgrade, especially since you will get a pretty good value out of the iPad 2 if you sell it used. As someone said, it's like going from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4. Huge difference.

Again, for me The wow factor wasn't there. Is the new display nice? Sure. Is the display worth me jumping for? No, and I went to best buy, fully, intending on purchasing the new iPad. My iPad 2 display and hardware is fine for now. If I felt my ipad ran slow or even looked blurry then, i would have swithed in a heartbeat. The fact is, its fine, and I use it more than my MacBook Pro.

When I feel my iPad 2 has become dated, I will glady upgrade. However, that time has not come yet, for me.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It does appear blurry compared to the retina display. I can pick out the individual pixels on the older devices very easily. It's like going from a 3GS to 4. Painful to look at the older screen once you are used to the high resolution of the new display. But that alone doesn't make the original iPad or 2 poor devices.

You must be staring awfully hard.

spark032207#WN

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

I guess it depends on what you're doing, but it is very very easy to detect the pixels on the iPad 2 especially when you're reading texts. I have a bad eyesight and I could still see them right away.

I totally understand why you wouldn't upgrade from iPad 2, though. What I don't understand is why you would buy the iPad 2 new. To each his own, I guess.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you're doing, but it is very very easy to detect the pixels on the iPad 2 especially when you're reading texts. I have a bad eyesight and I could still see them right away.

I totally understand why you wouldn't upgrade from iPad 2, though. What I don't understand is why you would buy the iPad 2 new. To each his own, I guess.

I wouldn't buy the iPad2 new at this point. If I were going to purchase an iPad today, it would be the new one without question.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)

When the iPad and iPad 2 was first introduced and sold, people had nothing but praise for them. Despite the lack of a retina display, the previous iPads sold exceptionally well, especially the iPad 2. Still, there are a great deal of people who have yet to own an iPad of any kind and thus, they will view the iPad 2 in the manner we did when we first purchased ours. They are not going to care about the retina display of the latest and greatest with the economy being like it is and especially when the display of the iPad 2 looks gorgeous in their eyes. To them, the iPad 2 will look stunning and exceed their expectations as well as cost $100 less. In my opinion, the $100 reduction may cause some people to not buy used. Anyway, that is my opinion on why some people will opt to buy the iPad 2 brand new.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It's like going from a SD to HD television... You don't realize what you're missing until you see it, then when you do, there's no going back :D

Wario954

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I went to Best Buy as well to check out the new iPad and, i was impressed, just not enough to replace my ipad 2. the main different i noticed was text. text on the 3gs that was unreadable became clear as day on the iphone 4. i cant say the same for ipad 2 going to new ipad. i think if you're a big gamer than the upgrade might be justified. to me LTE is more of a reason to upgrade and if it was in my area i probably would have bought it.

I see a lot of you are really big on the display. is there an app or website i can go to that you feel will give me a better representation the new ipad?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Not at all. Some people pay more attention to detail than others. I can't even count how many times I've looked at someones phone and told them they have a dead pixel. They had no idea, until I pointed it out at least...

iltimo

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are not in a hurry and you have the $100 to spare then i suggest that you should go for the new iPad since you can really get better functions with the camera, display, reactivity and all. Although if you are not very particular with such functions then generally it will have the same feel at first especially if you have tried using iPad 2 but then apple technology is very fast changing o i guess its really better if you get the new one cause there are some applications that may be better off on new iPad and there will be some apps that will only be working with new versions in no time.

You will appreciate the new iPad more especially if your the video type of person since they have improved on that field from the old version.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR