I wonder how long before Verizon plugs the AT&T sim loophole....

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
As we all have figured out now, an AT&T micro sim in a Verizon iPad will yield AT&T data. This is amazing for me because I live in a Verizon extended network area. I bet you're wondering why I bought a Verizon iPad then, well a local carrier here (Appalachian Wireless) signed LTE in Rural America with Verizon and expect to begin deploying LTE here in Q3 2012. So, by then I should be able to use LTE with that agreement stating that they'll each be able to use each others network. AT&T is slow at everything, we just got 3G here a year ago. So I was so excited when I heard this news.

So now, my worry, Apple or Verizon will plug this loop hole. I'm thinking of not even updating my iPad anymore in fear of it being plugged. What do you guys think?

Matsudaira

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
What loophole? Apple sells the two devices unlocked to work with networks around the globe. The only difference between the Verizon and AT&T models are the LTE bands. Outside of that, they are completely identical. This information is laid out on the Apple website.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
As we all have figured out now, an AT&T micro sim in a Verizon iPad will yield AT&T data. This is amazing for me because I live in a Verizon extended network area. I bet you're wondering why I bought a Verizon iPad then, well a local carrier here (Appalachian Wireless) signed LTE in Rural America with Verizon and expect to begin deploying LTE here in Q3 2012. So, by then I should be able to use LTE with that agreement stating that they'll each be able to use each others network. AT&T is slow at everything, we just got 3G here a year ago. So I was so excited when I heard this news.

So now, my worry, Apple or Verizon will plug this loop hole. I'm thinking of not even updating my iPad anymore in fear of it being plugged. What do you guys think?

I bought a Verizon ipad too for much the same reason except I'm in etown with Bluegrass Cellular who was the first to sign onto that LTE rural program with Verizon. Right now it roams on extended 3G. But I work in Louisville which is LTE. It had to be a post paid plan.

I haven't seen much news of when Bluegrass's LTE will launch. I know they're listing and hiring positions that have to do with LTE since last year. I would say soon though.

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Verizon ipad too for much the same reason except I'm in etown with Bluegrass Cellular who was the first to sign onto that LTE rural program with Verizon. Right now it roams on extended 3G. But I work in Louisville which is LTE. It had to be a post paid plan.

I haven't seen much news of when Bluegrass's LTE will launch. I know they're listing and hiring positions that have to do with LTE since last year. I would say soon though.

You had to have a post-paid to be able to roam or what? I'm HOPING that this iPad will roam on the LTE network the way it should..

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You had to have a post-paid to be able to roam or what? I'm HOPING that this iPad will roam on the LTE network the way it should..

Yep, i signed up first pre paid via the ipad. Got no service in extended area. Spent most of day troubleshooting but still didn't work. The email i received said as well at the bottom "Coverage is NOT available in the Extended 1X/3G Data Coverage Areas or, outside of the United States. "

Took a few calls to stores to finally get someone who knew about this. He simply said I needed a post paid plan. Prepay won't let you data roam.

So, a trip to verizon, a new sim card, and i had to pay extra to activate device. Same priced plans though. I don't plan on deactivating, so stopping and starting and paying activation fees doesn't matter to me.

This did do the trick though. Was roaming off of Bluegrass later that day with 3G.

Will this roam off of LTE when Bluegrass launches? I'd hope so.. That's the whole purpose of their rural program to benefit each other's customers and gets Bluegrass launched faster by using verizon's spectrum. Plus i don't think I'm going to see LTE from AT&T down here anytime soon if at all.

Under the agreement, Verizon Wireless will lease to Bluegrass Cellular its 700 MHz upper C block wireless spectrum in the Bluegrass Cellular service areas where Verizon Wireless has not constructed a network. Using the leased spectrum, Bluegrass Cellular will construct and operate a 4G LTE network in central Kentucky serving Bluegrass Cellular customers, Verizon Wireless customers and customers of other LTE in Rural America participants. In addition, Bluegrass Cellular customers will have access to Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network throughout the United States.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73