So who's not in a hurry...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The original iPad and the iPad 2 are far from "fuzzy screen"s... sure, it's not retina... but way more than adequate.... and not everyone is flush with cash to keep buying new toys...

Sorry dude, but buying an ipad 2 right now is kinda dumb. It's one thing to keep one of the two and simply not be interested. But spending 399 to get a half baked experience when you're 80% there seems silly. Couldn't recommend it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry dude, but buying an ipad 2 right now is kinda dumb. It's one thing to keep one of the two and simply not be interested. But spending 399 to get a half baked experience when you're 80% there seems silly. Couldn't recommend it.

Sorry, but I highly disagree with you here. There is nothing wrong with someone wanting to save a few bucks and going with a cheaper model. The iPad 2 while not having a retina display is still a very good choice, IMO. Not everyone wants or has a need to have the latest and greatest. It's all based on a persons needs... Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Reactions: baseballbert

GPD1739A

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a first generation iPad 64GB/3G, and will be getting a 3rd gen unit - but I didn't preorder and I won't be standing in line today to get one. (I bought my 1st gen about 6 months before the release of the iPad 2.)

The big thing I want is the retina display - there are times where I'm doing some serious reading, and after a couple of hours I've noticed that I seem to get a mild headache. Not saying that it's entirely the fault of the 1st gen iPad - but having the retina display certainly can't hurt.

I have an iPhone 4 (not 4S), and the retina display on the phone has provided a crisp enough experience that I truly believe the reaction of most people that see the 3rd gen iPad is going to be something on the order of "oh, WOW". I'll probably stop by a store to look a the 3rd gen iPad before I purchase it - but I'll make sure to leave my credit cards at home when I do.

Otherwise, it'll probably come home with me that day.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Sorry, but I highly disagree with you here. There is nothing wrong with someone wanting to save a few bucks and going with a cheaper model. The iPad 2 while not having a retina display is still a very good choice, IMO. Not everyone wants or has a need to have the latest and greatest. It's all based on a persons needs... Just my 2 cents.

Apps will be made optimized for the new resolution. Sorry, i have to highly disagree with you. It's not a matter of money. If you got 399 to burn, then it's only an extra hundred to get the full experience ipad.

But if a person only needs a half baked experience, then by all means..

It's not a "good" choice at that price.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apps will be made optimized for the new resolution. Sorry, i have to highly disagree with you. It's not a matter of money. If you got 399 to burn, then it's only an extra hundred to get the full experience ipad.

But if a person only needs a half baked experience, then by all means..

It's not a "good" choice at that price.

Actually, I have read many reviews and the iPad 2 is certainly not "half baked". If you would like to continue with this false belief by all means go right ahead. In these bad economical times $100 savings is just that. IMO, again, the iPad 2 is still an excellent choice for someone that would rather spend $100 on something else... Not going to debate this any further, you and I simply will not agree on this which is fine. People don't have to agree with each other all the time. :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Actually, I have read many reviews and the iPad 2 is certainly not "half baked". If you would like to continue with this false belief by all means go right ahead. In these bad economical times $100 savings is just that. IMO, again, the iPad 2 is still an excellent choice for someone that would rather spend $100 on something else... Not going to debate this any further, you and I simply will not agree on this which is fine. People don't have to agree with each other all the time. :)

You're correct, we don't have to agree. It's not a "bad" economy right now IMO which is quickly getting overused. Stocks have regained back and then some of what was lost back during the recent recession. If you can't go an extra hundred, then that person has other problems and probably shouldn't even be buying one period.

I'm glad you've read many reviews of the ipad 2. That was year ago when there wasn't a third gen ipad just a 100 more at DOUBLE the resolution. You can't ignore that moving forward, apps as well as the whole ipad experience will be to accommodate the new ipad. And that retina screen just doesn't get enough attention. You won't find another screen of that quality on the market that's remotely this affordable. I very much doubt most people have even seen a screen of this quality. I haven't. Even reviewers have minimized this aspect a bit by referring to it as "retina", same as iphone, when in fact it's not even remotely on par with what they did with the iphone. So in a sense, you jump from a very ordinary screen to one of the best ones in existence. That's pretty good mileage for an extra hundred.

Again, i think its worthwhile to keep the ipad 2 if you already have it. But i wouldn't recommend buying it right now for 399 unless it's for a specific purpose, a kid for example. Even then i'd rather try to find it for 349 or less which is refurb price at apple.com.

Anyways, thanks for the response. Whether we agree or disagree, i respect your point of view.

Last edited:

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The lines weren't crazy for this release out here in this part of Japan... local Softbank branches and Wal-Mart equivalents still have plenty in stock (Saturday here). On base was pretty much the same, although our supplies trickle in throughout the week. The big push went for the iPad 2 last year, it seems - even then they didn't sell out. The original iPads, either.

I got to play with one for awhile yesterday... nice screen. Really nice screen. But the iPad 2's screen isn't horrible, as some would have you believe. It's interesting: the BX still has many of the various capacity iPad 2s in stock, all at a $120 markdown. More options are always welcome. I still have my 32GB wifi 2... I'll give it a week or two and see how I feel. No rush. The whole "no SD/micro-SD expansion" thing is still irritating me. Exponentially increased app/media size, coupled with these outlandish data prices from carriers... something's going to have to give.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The lines weren't crazy for this release out here in this part of Japan... local Softbank branches and Wal-Mart equivalents still have plenty in stock (Saturday here). On base was pretty much the same, although our supplies trickle in throughout the week. The big push went for the iPad 2 last year, it seems - even then they didn't sell out. The original iPads, either.

I got to play with one for awhile yesterday... nice screen. Really nice screen. But the iPad 2's screen isn't horrible, as some would have you believe. It's interesting: the BX still has many of the various capacity iPad 2s in stock, all at a $120 markdown. More options are always welcome. I still have my 32GB wifi 2... I'll give it a week or two and see how I feel. No rush. The whole "no SD/micro-SD expansion" thing is still irritating me. Exponentially increased app/media size, coupled with these outlandish data prices from carriers... something's going to have to give.

I drove past a Best Buy this morning at about 8:15 am... there were only 7-8 people in line... and they weren't open yet. They normally open at 9:00 am, and apparently didn't open early for this event. No clue what the Apple stores saw, but demand at "third party" retailers appears to not be a huge issue... but fear not, Apple will still make a ton of cash today...

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not in any type of rush to grab the new iPad. I'm happy with what I've got for now. I'll probably just get the next model whenever that hits.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Another good reason to wait is that even though Apple porducts are top notch, they usually seem to have a glitch or two when they first come out (antennas, batteries, heating, Special feature failure, etc). I a month or two all the giltches will be identified, a solution found for the problem and all will be fine and dandy in Cupertino!!! That will be the best earliest time to invest....

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Another good reason to wait is that even though Apple porducts are top notch, they usually seem to have a glitch or two when they first come out (antennas, batteries, heating, Special feature failure, etc). I a month or two all the giltches will be identified, a solution found for the problem and all will be fine and dandy in Cupertino!!! That will be the best earliest time to invest....

I totally disagree with the premise. IF the issue can be fixed by software, it will be and everyone will get the "fix". If it turns out to be a hardware/design thing, the time to identify the problem, engineer the fix and retool the manufacturing/production line would be 6-months at a minimum... Not many people will wait that long IF they are going to purchase the device at all...

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I drove past a Best Buy this morning at about 8:15 am... there were only 7-8 people in line... and they weren't open yet. They normally open at 9:00 am, and apparently didn't open early for this event. No clue what the Apple stores saw, but demand at "third party" retailers appears to not be a huge issue... but fear not, Apple will still make a ton of cash today...
If I knew 20 people that were intent on getting this new model, literally all of them preordered. I won't knock people for choosing to stand in long lines for "the experience" or whatever, but... no. No way in hell. Personally, I'm thinking many others went that route - especially with the same-day delivery.

Could be that some of these estimates on demand were overhyped as well. I don't doubt it. This thing will sell like crazy, but I doubt it mirrors the record-setting pace of the 4S. IMO, you have a better chance of hitting those numbers with a phone, regardless of its physical similarities to previous models, than with a $600-800+ tablet that "looks" just like the last one. That screen though... damn. I agree with another reviewer - shouldn't have even looked at it.

I'm glad that it still appears to be easy enough for people to get one at retail price... The ones running to eBAY to try to turn a quick profit annoy me.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If I knew 20 people that were intent on getting this new model, literally all of them preordered. I won't knock people for choosing to stand in long lines for "the experience" or whatever, but... no. No way in hell. Personally, I'm thinking many others went that route - especially with the same-day delivery.

Could be that some of these estimates on demand were overhyped as well. I don't doubt it. This thing will sell like crazy, but I doubt it mirrors the record-setting pace of the 4S. IMO, you have a better chance of hitting those numbers with a phone, regardless of its physical similarities to previous models, than with a $600-800+ tablet that "looks" just like the last one. That screen though... damn. I agree with another reviewer - shouldn't have even looked at it.

I'm glad that it still appears to be easy enough for people to get one at retail price... The ones running to eBAY to try to turn a quick profit annoy me.

I just re-read my post, and while it sounds like I was downplaying the demand, I did not intend to. There could be any number of reasons why the lines were short at that Best Buy. Apple has done a yeoman's job of getting the pre-order/purchase for delivery process ironed out... and, as you say, no doubt they will sell a ton of them before it's all done...

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a 32gb new iPad, but once I saw what they were going for on ebay ($700-$1000!), I put it up for sale.

I got a brand new 64gb iPad 2 for the same price and will come away with a nice little "iBonus" and 2x as much storage.

I did check out the new ones, the display is pretty nice, I will admit that. But it isn't like the 2 is a the old school monochrome Macintosh with black and green screen and totally sucks now.

A month ago, the 2's were the best tablets on the planet, and they are still pretty darn good!

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I, too am perfectly content with my iPad 2. Although I wouldn't mind looking at one to see how different the Retina display is, I will hold out for the iPad 4 (or 4th gen, as Apple will probably see it). Plus my heart (and money) right now is set on the new iPhone. :D

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, I went out and got a 16GB iPad 2 a week or so ago ONLY for the sole purpose that my kids can have one without resorting to mine much.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Although I wasn't in a hurry. After seeing the new iPad in person at AT&T I ended up walking out with one. They got 2 shipments in during the day so they had some in stock when I got there at 7pm last night.

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk.

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
i have a macbook and just dont think i would use an ipad that much? i have my iphone as well....
You bring up an interesting point, and I don't think it stops at just MacBooks or iPhones. Definitely something to consider before spending that kind of money on a rather limited device. Short answer - yes, I use mine a lot. When I travel I bring both, though throughout the day I'll have one or the other with me, mission-dependent. I think a lot of people forget what Steve Jobs himself said was the very reason for an iPad even existing: apps, watching movies, reading emails, surfing the web, books/magazines, and games. That's basically its strong points - media consumption. So if you find yourself doing MOSTLY THIS on a laptop of any kind, the iPad is probably a good fit, as it can serve as a more personal and efficient means to accomplish these. I use mine all the time for these reasons. And yes, it offers a "better" and more intimate experience doing any of these than on a computer (with a far superior battery), while being more capable than a phone with regards to screen size. But it will never be as portable and communication-friendly as your phone; NEVER as powerful as your laptop. Think of all the times you've been out and seen others (or you yourself) with power chords stretched out, hunting for sockets at an airport or school... just to be on Facebook or look at YouTube, etc. An iPad works brilliantly here. Need to do some extensive document working, spreadsheets, graphical work with precision, or anything else that needs a bit of muscle behind it? Bring the MacBook.

I'm all for people finding new ways to use their products and justifying their purchases, but let's be real... the iPad is not, nor was it ever intended to be, a replacement for a MacBook. The iPad does what it does well. Whether that's worth $500-800+ is up to the individual. The whole "it's just a big iPod Touch" thing, yelled by blindly-loyal fans and bitter haters alike, has had people rushing since the original iPad to find other uses for them, resulting in expensive peripherals and dozens of apps, turning the iPad into a similarly-priced (and woefully underpowered) version of a MacBook Air - the product Apple has to fill the niche I think some erroneously try to fit tablets of any kind in. Those people are often unimpressed with iPads. Those who use them a bit more realistically are often highly satisfied.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh