This is the new iPad I'm getting and why

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
People keep asking me which new iPad I'm getting, and while I answered in my Editor's Desk column on Friday, not everyone seems to have seen it (shame on you!) and many of those who did also want to know why.

Here's it is: 64GB Black LTE

tl;dr version: Go big or go Kindle.

Longer version:

I'm getting 64GB because apps are getting bigger. Infinity Blade is already over 1GB in size. 1080p movies aren't proportionately bigger than 720p movies thanks to the H.264 profile Apple's using, but they're pretty damn big. I don't want to have to worry about having to worry about the size.

I just want to be able to store stuff. The extra $200 is worth the lower stress level and fewer management headaches.

I'm getting black because I have a white iPad 2 and switching colors every generation helps me tell them apart. And we also desperately need some non-white stuff for iMore.com hero photos!

I'm going LTE because I want to be able to do stuff fast when I'm out and about. I'm in Canada, which means the same LTE model that works on AT&T in the U.S. works on all three major carriers here -- Telus, Bell, and Rogers. Simon Sage says Telus has the best plan right now but I'm waiting to hear about tethering.

So that's it. That'll be my new iPad and that's why.

Marc Edwards

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've gone for 32GB Black LTE. I'm currently using about half of my iPad 2's 32GB, and there's some video I can delete. Seems like I should be able to easily fit my life into 32GB on a new iPad, with a tiny bit of management.

You're right though... 1080p video an Retina apps are going to be huge.

I'm getting black because I have a white iPad 2 and switching colors every generation helps me tell them apart. And we also desperately need some non-white stuff for iMore.com hero photos!

The white photos match the site so well. I like the alternating colours though.

I'm going LTE because I want to be able to do stuff fast when I'm out and about. I'm in Canada, which means the same LTE model that works on AT&T in the U.S. works on all three major carriers here -- Telus, Bell, and Rogers. Simon Sage says Telus has the best plan right now but I'm waiting to hear about tethering.

Lucky you! :) In Australia it looks like DC-HSDPA will be the quickest we'll get. Not as nice as LTE, but it should still be nice and snappy. Also worth noting that Telstra's 3G/4G network is actually really decent. They invested a fortune in their infrastructure, and it (unusually) shows.

bdegrande

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Same model, 64GB LTE, for many of the same reasons as Rene - I have over 20GB of apps, for example, and apps will be getting much larger with the higher screen resolution. In my case tehre are a couple of other factors. I don't have an iPhone, so my iPad will be my only 3G/LTE device. Also, I am sticking with AT&T as 1)I can transfer my unlimited plan 2)They haven't throttles iPad users yet (when they do I will use my MiFi instead) and 3)They throttle LTE at 5GB rather than 3GB.

My only regret is that Apple didn't make a 128GB model. I guess I won't carry a season or two of Buffy around any more, I will rely on streaming.

I am upgrading from a first gen iPad, so it is a no-brainer to upgrade.

Marc Edwards

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My only regret is that Apple didn't make a 128GB model.

They're running out of things to improve, and it's been a while since 64GB was the top model, so maybe next year for 128GB?

I am upgrading from a first gen iPad, so it is a no-brainer to upgrade.

That's going to feel like such an awesome upgrade. (Not sure about you, but I still love the look of the iPad 1. I prefer it to the iPad 2.)

chrisjohnson83

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm buying black 16 gig as for music I only stream it from rdio and tunein radio so no music is needed to store! For movies I use Netflix! And mostly use iPad for MLB.tv and browsing so 16 gig makes the most sense! Can't wait

tamaram200

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
It another 32G white for me. This time with LTE. Everywhere doesn't have wifi like people think. And sometime it is nice to have your own network connection.

I am upgrading because I want to. No husband means no rules. I love love love my IPad 2 but it nice to that crazy girl with all the new Apple Gear.

I did not get it engraved because it might belong to someone else in a year or so. You know how Apple is with the upgrades.

Speaking of upgrades I am going to put my IPad 2 on the board at school and see I can let it for a good price. With the new low price on the 2's all the resellers want to give you less than nothing for them.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Black - Never been a fan of white gadgets.

32GB - Ideally would've preferred a 64GB, but I'll put up with a little management to save a few bucks.

Wifi - Don't want to pay for the extra data plan. In a pinch, I can use the mobile hot spot from my Bold 9900.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I went really simple with my reasoning on buying my first iPad:

- 16GB - I do have some videos, but not enough to fill it. And even with apps, I don't think it's going to be full.

- Wi-Fi - Everywhere I go, I will have either access to Wi-Fi or my iPhone 4's Personal Hotspot. I know it's not 4G, but at the 130$ difference, I would yet prioritize the capacity over LTE.

- White - Because I have a black iPhone 4

alexberry

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered my first iPad last week, with delivery on Friday. Very excited (for a 40-year old!)

I went with a 64Gb, black, wifi-only, for the following reasons:

- 64Gb as I like to know I've got plenty of space to spare. I don't want to have to worry about it. I use iTunes Match (infuriating experience at times), but I anticipate films, apps and photos taking up quite a lot of space.

- Black, because the black border provides a better contrast to the screen. That's why most TVs have a black border these days. I also think the black looks marginally more 'male professional' and won't cause quite the same stir in a board meeting.

- Wifi-only. There's no LTE in the UK, so no advantage there. I have the 3G access provided by my iPhone 4, although my O2 simplicity doesn't allow me to switch on Personal Hotspot, in the end I think my iPad will be a largely domestic / office device where wifi is readily available. If I need portable data access, I'll invest in a Three MiFi device...

I also ordered a dark blue leather smart-cover. Goes with the male-professional aesthetic mentioned previously ;)

And I'm also upgrading my AppleTV 2 gen to the new 3rd gen AppleTV... Why have a 1080p plasma sitting at home if you can't get the full potential out of it?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Same as Rene but Verizon version. With an ATT iphone and Verizon ipad i should have data when i want it. ATT has been very bad for me since Nov. But it's mainly to do things fast when i need to..like logmein. Not to stream HD video which would eat the cap in an hour. There's calculators on Verizon saying streaming HD video is 2gb per hour. Though i doubt there will be many 1080p streaming options.

So 64gb to hold retina optimized video, comics, books, apps, etc all of which may increase in size.

Black, because white is too distracting on the bezel.

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I go with 32GB black WiFi only.

Why?

32GB - i puchased the iPad2 when the price dropped just for trial so i can figure out which iPad suites me best. I got the 16GB and it was half used (7GB) for 4-5 music videos (720p), a movie(720p), no musics, 20-30 photos(DSLR), 10 keynotes files, 3 pages files, and 2 pages of homescreen with full apps each (no games). From that trial, i decided to go with 32GB cause i know that 16 isnt going to be big enough for me. And also, the size of apps that are doubling due to retina display, so i wont risk it. But i was thinking of 64 but i dont want to go too big either. So i stay with 32GB :)

WiFi only - i go to my campus with a blazzing internet speed. There is where i spend most of time from morning to 9PM. Although my house has a slow internet speed, i dont find it troublesome for not being able to connect to the internet for the rest of the night, as i would be going back to the campus the next morning.

Black - the iPad 2 i tried was white in color. I do like it and i have no complain about it. However, after i read few articles on "which color" to get, a lot of people say black is much better for a big screen device especially for watching movies and editing photos (which i do a lot). went to the apple store and compared them. It is pretty noticable the difference between black and white when it comes to movies and photos. Black, somehow is nicer to use for movies and photos, so i chosed black instead.

Really can't wait! :D

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I go with 32GB black WiFi only.
And also, the size of apps that are doubling due to retina display, so i wont risk it. But i was thinking of 64 but i dont want to go too big either. So i stay with 32GB :)

Size of apps doubling? Try up to 5X larger..

New iPad apps up to five times larger than their predecessors | The Verge

This will impact ipad & ipad 2 users as well as they have to use the same apps.

The moral of the story is, don't rely on past experience. The retina display changes things.

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
White 64gb wifi only.

White - because it's different.
64gb - because HD, retina apps and iMatched songs all need more space. I use the djay app a lot, so I do need to carry lots of music with me.
wifi only - because I rarely ever use 3G on my iPad 1, and north Louisiana doesn't have LTE anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjsavage

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
White 32GB Wi-Fi

I currently have the 16GB iPhone 4s and have about 5 GB remaining. I wont be having any music on my iPad just mainly movies and apps. I dont need all movies on device just ones may watch so I can manage that.

Went with White because wanted something different and like the look of the white,

Dont wan't another data plan for LTE will mainly be on Wifi. Have tethering on jailbroken phone if really need it.

Cant wait for Friday!!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My 4S is 64 GB but I dont need that much space on iPad.

I went with Black 32GB LTE At&t. Reason I only need 32 is I use my 4S as my iPod and I dont use my iPad for music. Just apps, pics and maybe keep 4 monies at a time on there.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting a white 32gb wifi only. Reason is that the 4G/LTE is not compatible with any network in Australia and I don't really need the 3G/4G feature. Can't wait to get it.

Magically transferred through space and time to the internut on my LifeProof'd iPhone using Tapatalk.