Any tips for selling an iPad on Craigslist?

BigB

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I have never sold anything on Craigslist before, but I've done eBay a bunch of times.

Should I keep the box sealed? Or post pictures of the actual device? I was thinking of keeping it sealed until the buyer has paid, then we can open it together before they leave so they can verify their purchase.

Should I post pictures of the recipt? (with my personal info edited out of course)

Should I have buyers come to my house? Or meet them in a public place? I feel like I could better avoid being robbed at my house, but I'm not thrilled about strangers knowing where I live and deciding to rob my house.

Thanks!

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It's true, it is safer to meet in a neutral well-traveled public place. That's said, it is a complete hassle to go meet someone in a location far from your home, especially if the buyer flakes and says they are running late or want to reschedule (which happens 50% of the time in my experience).

I have thought through why it is worrisome to have the buyer come to your house, and I have decided that the fear is not that well-founded. The buyer doesn't gain anything from knowing that you in particular live at this particular house. Your house is not any different from your neighbors, etc. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can do the transaction at the front door, or in some other place just outside of the house. Even if they come inside the front door, you don't have to give them a tour of the rest of the house.

I would say it helps to have someone else home with you. Only accept cash because checks can go bad or not go through and even cashier's checks can be faked. and I wouldn't allow them to open the seal on the box. What if they change their mind and now you are left with an opened box that is worth less to the next buyer?

I would be interested in hearing other people's opinions about letting someone come to the house, I just don't think that much is gained from "casing" the house if you don't let them in the front door.

frkm0005

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Meet at a public place like inside a place. If you can bring a friend for backup.

Via Tapatalk

I fully agree. Also, you are going to get scam offers left, right and centre. Don't settle for anything but face to face for cash. And don't settle for anything less than what you want for it. I've met soooo many low ballers it's pathetic. They're so brave now that they agree on your price but when you meet them they try to offer you less and say that's all they came with. I can't stand them!!

BigB

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. The house feels safer from a backup prospective. My wife would be there, my two large dogs would be there, etc. but at the same time, my place is rather small and I can't hide the fact that I have a big tv, surround sound, Xbox, etc. in the living room. Having them stay outside might be a good option.

There is a Starbucks close by that also might work as a meeting place. I could take my wife with me. My concern there is having someone try to grab the iPad and run.

As far as opening the box goes, I was thinking I will tell them that once I have the money in hand, the box is theirs to open if they wish, and if it contains anything other than a working iPad, I will give the money back on the spot and return the iPad to apple.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I sell on CL all of the time, have been for many many years. I have learned one important thing and that is to have the buyer come to YOU. Too many times I have been stood up, or met up with a potential buyer all to have him/her lowball me or claim that they "only brought (insert low amount of money here) with me"

I havent had any dangerous issues arrive thank goodness. Public places are good. One story I have, I met a buyer at my local Starbucks once and the manager called the police on us. The police showed up and questioned us and searched us. The manager reported that we were dealing drugs. Pathetic.

kiwiruss

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Like others say.
- meet in public well lit place, I use McDonald's parking lots.
- cash only
- do not give out personnel info like full ame and address.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
For peace of mind, I rather eBay it than C'list simply because of ecosystems which is fraud prohibitive plus I always cover my expenses i.e. eBay fees. The one time I attempted C'list, I was stood up.

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. The house feels safer from a backup prospective. My wife would be there, my two large dogs would be there, etc. but at the same time, my place is rather small and I can't hide the fact that I have a big tv, surround sound, Xbox, etc. in the living room. Having them stay outside might be a good option.

There is a Starbucks close by that also might work as a meeting place. I could take my wife with me. My concern there is having someone try to grab the iPad and run.

As far as opening the box goes, I was thinking I will tell them that once I have the money in hand, the box is theirs to open if they wish, and if it contains anything other than a working iPad, I will give the money back on the spot and return the iPad to apple.

I completely believe in not having them meet at your home ever, unless its the home itself your selling. Its doesn't matter if theres someone there with you , its just not great for the buyer or seller to give out addresses. With that said i sold my iPad 2 within 18 hours after i put it on craigslist. The best way to do it is:
1.Meet at a close location so you don't waste gas for one, and two so they'll be other people there. Starbucks like your saying is great, thats where I've always met.
2. take pictures of any damage of the product and have a description posted of the condition on craigslist with pictures. And unless its new sealed in box, you need to have pictures up of the product on craigslist.
3. don't over price it because you'll get no response. If it an iPad 2 and you don't at least a hundred dollars off for it being used, you most likely won't get a response. I personally recommend go a hundred dollars under new buying from store price and then 25 dollars off that, because you get replies like crazy because its not a normal asking price so people think it looks so much cheaper.
4. when you meet them, they'll want to see it taken out and made sure it works and everything so do it for them and show it works and the damage (if there is any). and that it is in fact the iPad you said it was. because who wouldn't want to make sure of this before they bought an iPad?
5. and most important step, ONLY meet up at the place you want and for cash only. You get so many offers to ship it off or scams and an exchange for places to meet, if they are really wanting to buy it they'll come to you and they'll bring cash. you'll get tons of offers that aren't your conditions so just ignore them. I personally enjoy telling them off :p

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
and as far as them robbing you when they get to the meeting place, if its inside a public (not in parking lots) very VERY few people are going to run by in a public store and try to steal something. so don't worry about that.

BigB

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to use the Starbucks that's down the street and keep the box sealed.

I'm also having my dad ask around at his work. He works with a bunch of well paid law enforcement guys who are too busy to wait in line on Friday. The perfect customer.

emoose

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Tips I have done in the past:

1. Bring counterfeit detection pen. They are sold at office supply stores for around $3 bucks. They will tell you if the bills you are paid in are real. I always check them in front of the buyer. I apologise for having to do so but point out that I have had issues in the past ( I havn't but it makes it easy to excuse)

2. I use a google voice number created especially for the transaction. That way after the sale I can't be harassed if the sale goes bad somehow. I don't want to give out my home number or cell number as they are a pain to change.

3. I have always brought physical backup and never needed it.

4. Meet in a very public place. I use McDonalds as they are readily available and usually have a cop or two nearby.

Despite my paranoia it can be quite unnerving meeting a stranger for a high dollar cash transaction. I have had nothing but pleasant transactions but don't feel the need to take stupid risks with my property or life. I am not a reseller but frequently trade up for the latest and greatest

nancypinder

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
It is better make a website . it will provide more faith between you and your customers. But if want to sell craiglist then you have to advertise online as well. By tweeting your listing and posting on facebook will help you to reach more people.

RC46

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
My advise is don't do it.

I would never sell anything on Craig's List it is just too dangerous. That being said, I buy stuff there all the time.

Ebay is for seller's and Craig's List is for buyers.

BigB

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
My concern with eBay Isn't the fee's it's how easy it is for a buyer to make a claim against you and get their money back leaving the seller screwed.

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
My advise is don't do it.

I would never sell anything on Craig's List it is just too dangerous. That being said, I buy stuff there all the time.

Ebay is for seller's and Craig's List is for buyers.

I would honestly say its the exact opposite of this

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I sell on CL all of the time, have been for many many years. I have learned one important thing and that is to have the buyer come to YOU. Too many times I have been stood up, or met up with a potential buyer all to have him/her lowball me or claim that they "only brought (insert low amount of money here) with me"

I havent had any dangerous issues arrive thank goodness. Public places are good. One story I have, I met a buyer at my local Starbucks once and the manager called the police on us. The police showed up and questioned us and searched us. The manager reported that we were dealing drugs. Pathetic.

I did that once, brought less than I should have. Went to buy it and realized I was $5 short and couldn't figure out where it had gone. Guy was nice and let me go after I offered to go to the bank for it.

My experience as a buyer and seller, is the house is the safest. As a seller, close your curtains to hide your stuff and meet him outside. Ask to show the money and then if he asks to see it working then you remove it to prove it works. As a buyer I like to go to people homes because it's easy to not get lost and search for them and usually (I buy a lot of movies/DVD sets) they say if their is a problem to come back (never had one yet) so its nice knowin I'm not getting scratched up stuff and they will just bail.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal