A5x vs A5

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Is this new chip going to be any faster for anything that doesn't tax the GPU, such as midi/music apps? I was really hoping for a bump to quad core CPU and doubling the RAM.

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, allegedly it has a bump to 1gig of RAM... ALLEGEDLY.

Past that, I imagine the A5X is about the same architecture and clock speed as before. Such a bump to the CPU really wasn't needed. Like they said in the keynote, the bump in power they needed was too power the retina display, hence the "quad core graphics".

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, allegedly it has a bump to 1gig of RAM... ALLEGEDLY.

Past that, I imagine the A5X is about the same architecture and clock speed as before. Such a bump to the CPU really wasn't needed. Like they said in the keynote, the bump in power they needed was too power the retina display, hence the "quad core graphics".

I agree. The bump in GPU power was needed to drive the new screen... but I don't see the need for the additional CPU power... the iPad2 processor was plenty fast... and while I haven't seen proof of the additional RAM, I have read the same rumors about the 1GB of RAM in the 'New' iPad.

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The bump in GPU power was needed to drive the new screen... but I don't see the need for the additional CPU power... the iPad2 processor was plenty fast...

Sure, and who needs more than 64kb of RAM, right? :) When it comes to the music stuff (esp the sample playback instruments and multi track recorders), you can always use more horsepower.

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
The new iPad is listed as having 1GB ram on the Apple site. I'd say that was confirmation enough. It's double what the iPad 2 had.

Oh, it does say that on the main site? I didn't see it... Will have to check again.

It would make sense, though. I don't care how much GPU power it would have, no way would it run stably on 512mb. Well this is good news, all the more reason for me to throw down some cash on one!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR