iPad 2 charging from USB with iOS5

TiggerSwindon

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Did I miss something previously or does the iPad2 now charge (slowly) from a normal USB port since iOS5 upgrade.

My iPad2 never used to charge when connected to the PC to sync and the display always stated 'Not Charging' next to the battery icon.

Since the update to iOS5 on a couple of occasions I could have sworn it was not fully charged when I put it in the cradle to sync but an hour or so later when I picked it up to use the charge was 100%

This morning I made a note of the charge when I put it in the cradle, 56%, I left it for 2 hours and now the charge shows 76% even though the display shows 'Not Charging'.

There have been no changes to my PC, the cradle has always been connected to the same port on the back of the PC, not through a hub.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I going mad

PS the charge has now reached 77% since I started typing this!!

Reactions: Bnoble

Pocobear

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
It has always charged from the USB port, just slowly. The USB ports puts out about 1/2 amp of current @ 5vdc, and the iPad charger puts out 2.1amps of current @ 5vdc. So the USB port puts out about 1/4 the amount of current as the iPad charger, but it's still changing your iPad. The best part is that it doesn't take 4 times as long, only about 1.5 to 2 times longer.

Reactions: Bnoble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2