New to Apple, and the iPad2

JDGAFFLIN

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
So, like the thread title says, I'm new to the platform. Truth be told, Im a bit of an Android enthusiast. But I won this iPad 2 from the fine folks at Stitcher, so I figured I'd give it a shot and see what happens...

My initial thoughts are, what this thing is lacking in customization options, it more than makes up for by it's polish. It's smooth, man. Buttery almost in comparison to my Acer Iconia A100.

I'm not so sure on the forum factor, in terms of carrying it around. I like the 7" forum factor of the A100 when I'm out and about. But the hardware here is just stunning. Apple needs to make a 7" version. That would be terrific.

So, I'm gonna do some research on the site..( which seems great, thus far). If there's any must have apps, or you have any tips you can offer, please feel free.

Thanks!

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Learn the multi-touch gestures... I had my iPad 2 for almost two months and didn't know that I could use 4-5 fingers and move up to show the taskbar, or use 4-5 fingers to go left or right to switch through your apps.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
And dont forget about pinching all fingers together to minimize an app! I Hardly ever use the home button anymore...

yeah, i'd def move up to iOS5. Tabbed browsing is nice, as well as iMessage can be useful. iMessage was a little bit difficult to set up (since I also have an iPhone - it was sending messages to both), but it is nice to not have to pick up the phone to send quick texts to other iPhone users. I haven't really figured out the benefit (to me) of iCloud (also iOS5) but it is nice to have OTA updates.

I was a big Palm guy (Pre, Pixi, Pre2) who had bought an original iPad when it went on clearance. I liked it so much, I am selling my Touchpad and original iPad to pay for my new iPad 2!

JDGAFFLIN

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have both a Pre and a Pixi as well. webOS was just soooo fun to use.

But this thing is so smooth. I can't get over the hardware...

pinkvikchick

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I'm from Blackberry and the customization is awesome, so kinda disapointed about customizing anything but wallpaper on my iPad. But, seriously...Apple is amazeballs, and there is a reason people spend money on this bramd!

ddthld

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm new too to the iPad2. I love it smoothness and email too. The kids love the games. I also like the Android phones for mobile communication and Google Maps. I also think...at least for me...that 3.7" to 4" is the perfect screen size and the iPhone just seems a tad small. The resolution almost makes up it though, as does the smoothness. I also would love to see Apple do a 7"ish size tablet with built in GPS and that would be the new in car entertainment.

My biggest problem is do I switch to an iPhone also? or do I stay multi-platform? The new Windows phones seem nice and with Windows 8 some really nice tablets should be coming in the future!

Choices...they are good, but damn if they aren't overwhelming!

jackitoday

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I too am new to Apple products. I had a launch day pre and loved it, went to android -- evo, evo3d, nexusS and just sold my Samsung Galaxy 7 in tablet. When Sprint went iphone, I jumped to the new iPhone 4s and just love it. Now I know why so many people love iphones. Boss just bought a new Samsung 10.1 tab and loves it -- but I think I'm buying the iPad2 this week. Taking my Christmas bonus and the money I got for my tab and heading to the iPad2. I'm 98% sure that's my final decision -- I don't see myself going back to Android.

I live in the boonies where the only internet connection is what I get from my nexus cell phone with the hotspot turned on. I'll be able to use that signal on the ipad, right? I'm getting the wifi 16mg model as that's what the budget will bear.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2