So, no multitasking gestures for the original ipad when updating to ios5?

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I was looking forward to multitouch gestures for the ipad1 during this iOS 5 update but from what I have read this doesn't seem to be the case. Can anyone confirm the lack of multitouch gestures when updated to iOS 5? Is Xcode the only way to get it?

isrararrafi

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
nope...nothing in settings...there are gestures under accessibility but that seems to be a different thing.

are ppl in ipad 2 got the gestures?? if not, then maybe they will include it in 5.0.1

bluebomberx

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
It appears they took the gestures out of the original iPad. And it sucks, because I've been using them since they were made available in xcode. Now I have to re-learn how to run my iPad the old way.

FrDakota

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It appears they took the gestures out of the original iPad. And it sucks, because I've been using them since they were made available in xcode. Now I have to re-learn how to run my iPad the old way.

I spent the day to have different things working.

Gestures and playing the soundtrack of a video while the screen is locked.

I got gestures with RedSnow, unfortunately doing a jailbreak screwed up Mail that kept crashing.

Another thing I have discovered, I can't put a 700 MB concert video (Film) and classify it as Video clip, it will be visible as a video clip but will not play. :confused:

The same if I try to classify that video as a Podcast, it simply disappears (unlike with 4.3.3) with no way to recover it's space other than restoring. :mad:

The non playable audio from Films en TV Series while screen is locked (and off) dates from iOS 4.2, that's why my iPhone is still in iOS 4.1.

Finally I restored my iPad to 4.3.3 and got my gestures back.

dbeard100

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Multitouch gestures

My main reason for getting excited about iOS 5 over the last few months was multitouch gestures, removing the need to thrash the home button. To my disgust I quickly found that my iPad 1 was not supported. The only reason that I can see for Apple not allowing it is a marketing one - another "incentive" for users to upgrade to an iPad 2. Instead they have achieved the opposite with me - after 18 months my iPad hopefully has a lot of life yet, and I won't upgrade (hopefully to an iPad 4 or 5) until the technology advances to a stage where I have no other choice. Instead I have now joined the ranks of the jail breakers - the process was relatively simple and well worth doing. The multi-touch gestures are very very useful !

Crisdean

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Well might be a reason behind it. My friend is using a 3G and iOS4.3 ran like a dog on his phone. Not worth mentioning some games which I could play without any issues 3GS. So it might be not as optimised or would make the iPad laggy. That's what I prefer to think.

isrararrafi

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
u know, before their site was saying multitasking gestures for ipad (which ofcourse means both 1 and 2) but i just checked now (1st time after the ios5 released) they changed it to multitasking gestures for ipad 2.

Thats just pathetic by them...thanks a LOT! They are just trying their best to convert the OG ipad owners switch to 2 or 3 quickly by giving us less and less features. :mad:

it was my most awaited feature.

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree, and it worked fine on the iPad 1, now I can't even activate it through xcode. I almost never used my home button from the time these were available till now, and now thats my only choice :/

FrDakota

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree, and it worked fine on the iPad 1, now I can't even activate it through xcode. I almost never used my home button from the time these were available till now, and now thats my only choice :/

Well that's logical the gestures configuration is stored in the SpringBoard.app in a .plist which is not saved on the iTunes backup, nor accessible for editing via some phone applications on Windows and OS X and not the same than the XCode one.

But at last the the latest Redsn0w I could finally put back the gestures to the iPad 1 with no full jailbreak and all Apple apps work. (The problem for them was that the jailbreak move files around, thing that I dislike)

With the latest RedSn0w Beta there is now a checkbox (unchecked by default) to "Move applications" by the jailbreak, if you don't Cydia will do it for you later. (with the same problem for Apple apps like mail and Safari)

I simply launched RedSn0w beta with installation of Cydia unchecked (since I 'm not interested in it and I didn't want to have it's white icon cluttering my springboard) and " Enable multitask gestures " checked.

After the jailbreak everything was working O.K then I rebooted the iPad to check if nothing would break.

Everything still worked as it should. (Simply by not moving applications)

That's a good thing for all those who want to get the gestures back without doing a full jailbreak and risking problems if the device had to be restarted.

Enjoying again the gestures. :D

Update:

Since my method of bringing gestures to the iPad 1 under iOS 5, there's been a news about it on OSX Daily that someone from ModMyi has modified RedSn0w 0.9.9b5 to only do the gesture patching without really jailbreaking. (Removing the Jailbreak part in fact)

A tool I wanted to ask for, but since they brought jailbreak without moving files around, I served my purpose alas with some files modified.

iPad 1 Gestures and Display Mirroring Without Jailbreak

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR