Will you upgrade to the iPad 3 or is the OG iPad still good enough for you?

Calcifer2

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I will only upgrade to an iPad 3 if it has a significant feature upgrade. To me that would be a retina-like screen, light as an iPad 2 and more memory (more than iPad 2 to be a bit more future proof)

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Nope. I'm OG, it's iPad all the way for me.
I see the iPad like a computer- use it until a) it doesn't work anymore or b) it becomes too slow or unstable to the point where it is no longer productive to use it.

But to tell you the truth, I'm wondering if I even will replace it. My macbook pro rocks and my iPhone rocks. The iPad was a luxury buy.

HailApple

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I have both the iPad and iPad2. Both 32GB and 3G. For having the iPad2 about six months now, here are my thoughts:
1. WEIGHT -- iP1 is obviously heavier, however, I do feel safe throwing it around. Unlike iP2, which always requires my delicate touch. Probably iP1 is bulkier and doesn't have a camera at the back
2. BATTERY -- Both are upgraded to iOS4.3x, but iP2 needs charging every 2 days while iP1 still can survive for at least 3-4 days. I use iP2 in daytime in my office together with Macs, iP1 at home mainly for browsing and movies and tv. I suppose iP1 really have good battery capacity
3. WEB & DOC -- I see different things on the same site with both of them. Eg.. this site streamingtvforipad dot com, I use it almost every night lately for tv shows. in iP1, I can see the screenshot in the video before I play, but not in iP2. In my office, when opening the same Excel using the iPad Numbers, in iP1 the grid view is always organized, but iP2 always seems to have a problem with Excel converted viewing
4. CAMERA -- iP1 doesn't have a camera, so this is not comparable. However, the iP2 I'm holding is actually my third iP2 due to a faulty rear camera. Apple exchanged twice for me. I don't use the camera now except for app development when comes to augmented reality. The quality of the photos are grainy. It looks good when you took it and view in the iPad, but absolutely disgusting in iPhotos. I now use my Blackberry more often to take photos when needed.
5. SYNCING -- though I use the iP2 for work, both my iPads have all the same apps installed, and are synced daily. When there is an update for some apps installed, they will be updating the apps automatically in the iPads when you connect them to the iTunes. iP2 always takes 5 to 10 minutes longer to complete. This I'm frustrated because I thought a newer generation hardware is supposedly more advanced, in this case, speed. But it isn't.
6. 3G Reception -- both are using Vodafone supplied by my company. But for way too many times, iP2 seems to have better signal strength then iP1 while in the same location. This is more obvious either in Underground or a remote golf course.

To sum it up, I'm not so hype about iP2 but since both are company issued, I obviously took the better one back home for personal pleasure. iPad3 will definitely outbeat iP2 by far to get me consider buying it for myself. But I can say this, the screen size of iPad is really perfect for both work and pleasure. So they get headaches minus one.

Singlestick

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Whether I would upgrade from my iPad original recipe to an iPad3 would entirely depend on any new feature set. I don't have a strong need for a camera, so I skipped the iPad2. If the original iPad could not be updated to the latest OS when the iPad3 comes out, then I might be more likely to make the jump, all other things being equal.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Like I mentioned in another post, my iPad 1 does so much still and is still such an awesome, amazing, magical device that I don't see the need or want to upgrade. Now, that said Apple is ofter really good at giving us reasons to want to upgrade! So for me it will depend on what the iPad 3 has to offer. If it is speed, better cameras and something like Siri then I will pass.

No matter what, I am very interested in seeing what Apple offers in the iPad 3. I always said that the iPad was one of those Apple products that they just got right on the first release. It is a fantastic device.

isrararrafi

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
i have the og ipad and probably will skip ipad 3. I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade until ipad becomes an extremely independent device like apple is heading towards with their ios 5.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
i have the og ipad and probably will skip ipad 3. I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade until ipad becomes an extremely independent device like apple is heading towards with their ios 5.

I believe that is exactly where the iPad is heading. I will become more and more like a computer a d less like a perriferal device. Can't wait to see what's in store!