Printing from iPad?

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Another noob iPad question. I know there's probably a program to install on my iPad 1 to sync with a printer, I'm assuming via Bluetooth. My question is-what program, and do I need a special printer or retrofit my existing printer with some type of receiver?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Another noob iPad question. I know there's probably a program to install on my iPad 1 to sync with a printer, I'm assuming via Bluetooth. My question is-what program, and do I need a special printer or retrofit my existing printer with some type of receiver?

Your iPad can detect wireless printer by it self no app needed if you have a older printer like non wireless and it's hooked to a computer you can share it on your network but also need to install a app called air print activator it runs it the background and worked flawless for me with a laser printer I had

Reactions: aaronkwok

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there any reason I couldn't hook my iPad up to my printer via USB if I could install the printer's drivers on the iPad? Or would I even need to do that?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So if I get the app on my ipad1. When I want to print something, where is the print button? Thx

Not a app on the iPad it's built in when viewing a email press the icon in upper corner looks like a arrow jumping out of a box and press print it will find any printers on your wireless network that are AirPrint capable.

Reactions: pilsbury

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Is there any reason I couldn't hook my iPad up to my printer via USB if I could install the printer's drivers on the iPad? Or would I even need to do that?

You can't there is no port or adapter for that
iPads do not operate like a laptop or computer In that aspect
You won't need to load anything on the iPad once you have the actually printer set up it will print
What is your setup ? Printer attached to computer ?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a HP Photosmart D110 for $79 and it handles AirPrint wonderfully. It also has that ePrint so you can print by sending the printer an email from anywhere. Good stuff! And very affordable.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You can't there is no port or adapter for that
iPads do not operate like a laptop or computer In that aspect
You won't need to load anything on the iPad once you have the actually printer set up it will print
What is your setup ? Printer attached to computer ?

Yes, my desktop is connected to my printer, a Canon PIXMA MP 490.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a HP Photosmart D110 for $79 and it handles AirPrint wonderfully. It also has that ePrint so you can print by sending the printer an email from anywhere. Good stuff! And very affordable.

Hmmm. Very interesting. If I can rig this up to a printer, my Dell laptop will be about obsolete. Thanks.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
One final question. The iPad 1 has air print capabilities already built into it, correct? What steps are taken when you get ready to print something? I'm asking because there are no visible print options in the settings. Also, I'll be able to print from my i4, correct?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
One final question. The iPad 1 has air print capabilities already built into it, correct? What steps are taken when you get ready to print something? I'm asking because there are no visible print options in the settings. Also, I'll be able to print from my i4, correct?

There is no steps just press print and how many copy's .. Your iPhone works the same way.
If you do get the photo smart printer or similar above the is a Hp print app for using the built in scanner and printing pictures from your iPad or phone and it has more setting like paper size etc .
Using a computer with a printer .. The printer does bot have to be on that list above that's what the AirPrint app you install on your computer does .. I have had both setups I now have a photo smart printer as well really easy to use and no cords so you can put the printer anywhere you want

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I've been checking, and found the HP PS D110 new for $75 shipped on eBay. Probably go that route. Again, thanks for your help!

Dean211284

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Not a app on the iPad it's built in when viewing a email press the icon in upper corner looks like a arrow jumping out of a box and press print it will find any printers on your wireless network that are AirPrint capable.
Ipad1 ? Or 2 only. And can it only print emails/documents. Not say, a webpage or a picture I created inside an app?

Ask4Jay

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
@Dean211284 Let me tell you my setup. iPod touch ->older Brother printer via ePrint Free. Maybe it'll help. Documents and web pages I copy, and in ePrint paste them into a new Note - and print.
There is no formatting, such as on an invoice with columns, etc. But at least you'll have the info in print. My own text notes and emails are OK.

Via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

Reactions: Dean211284

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ipad1 ? Or 2 only. And can it only print emails/documents. Not say, a webpage or a picture I created inside an app?

If the app supports printing then you can print if not you can prob copy and past to a email then print from that most of the time there is always a work around to do what you want

Paddy

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Theresia is an otter solution for this problem: the app PrinterShare. It works with any printer connected to a Mac or PC.
You have to install a little piece of software on yor desktop as well. More info at THE App store or on the website.