Considering iPad 2 but own iPhone and MacBook

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been considering an iPad 2 ever since it came out I read the reviews and have used one in person a few times. I am on the fence however because I currently have an iPhone 4 and I bought MacBook Pro last year. I feel like if I were to buy the iPad 2 it would be causing me to "waste" my other Apple products since I suppose I don't need an iPad. Just really want one as I believe it would be a lot more convenient when relaxing on the couch or traveling to use compared to my MacBook and the larger screen is more enjoyable compared to my iPhone. I also have a separate laptop for work so it isn't like I use the Macbook for that. Is anyone else in the same boat or have you been in the past? What did you decide on in terms of the multiple devices with the iPad and if you had to do it again would you make the same decision? Just curious to see what others in my situation did and how that is working out.

PsYcHoNeWb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been considering an iPad 2 ever since it came out I read the reviews and have used one in person a few times. I am on the fence however because I currently have an iPhone 4 and I bought MacBook Pro last year. I feel like if I were to buy the iPad 2 it would be causing me to "waste" my other Apple products since I suppose I don't need an iPad. Just really want one as I believe it would be a lot more convenient when relaxing on the couch or traveling to use compared to my MacBook and the larger screen is more enjoyable compared to my iPhone. I also have a separate laptop for work so it isn't like I use the Macbook for that. Is anyone else in the same boat or have you been in the past? What did you decide on in terms of the multiple devices with the iPad and if you had to do it again would you make the same decision? Just curious to see what others in my situation did and how that is working out.

I am in the same boat as you, and I have a 32gb iPad from Verizon. I have a $5,000 gaming computer, a $1,000 ASUS Laptop, and an iPhone 4 and I LOVE my iPad 2. Its great because its light, easy to carry around and you can do almost anything you need to while on the go. For example, I bring mine with me to work (office manager at an outpatient physical therapy rehad center) and when its slow I usually use it play some casual games like Cut the Rope and Plants v. Zombies while checking Email and such. I also love the fact that at night when in bed, I can bring my iPad over, browse the web, play some games, and look at apps while watching some TV. I was always an anti-tablet person since the first iPad and now I fully understand what they are for... portable entertainment. Yes you can buy a thin/light laptop for that purpose but if you want something that is easy to carry around, allow to check email, surf the web, and play games all without wires/keyboard/mice the iPad is truly great. Yes if you have all the gadgets like that, it is pricey but hey its a toy right? When are "real" toys not expensive ;)

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat and have exactly that and have been pondering since the iPad 1. Maybe I'll break when iPad 3 appears

KangTsui

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to skip the iPad and wait for the iPad 3, and hopes of better cameras. The wife loves her iPad 1, and there isn't a reason to upgrade for us, at least not yet.

-Kang

Banned for life from Crackberry! woo hoo!!!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If you travel (flying) a lot, you'll soon tire of the MBP's weight... iPad (assuming you don't need to run specific Mac apps) is so much nicer to travel with.

I own both an iP4 and MBP as well, but recently got an iPad 2 and frankly kicking myself for not getting one sooner!

natefish

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you need the iPad. Maybe not the big kahuna, but at least the base model if you want to have something just for convenience and leisure. Plus, when iOS 5 comes out, there will be some great added Airplay features added to the iPad 2 that will let it basically become a gaming system if you have an Apple TV (And with a MBP and iPhone already, you should totally have an Apple TV). Good luck. Wish I had your problem!

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I have the same dilemma. iPhone and MacBook but want an iPad. Don't have a good reason to get one however. I'm just waiting for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zlively

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I have all 3, IPA MBP and Ipad2....For me the fact that you dont have to boot up the Ipad2 for a quick e-mail check or to check the internet for something real quick is a plus. Not to mention protability...Love it.

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
@VZiPhoneFinally: I'm not in the same boat as you, as I (unfortunately) don't have a MacBook of any sort... However, as some people here have mentioned, the iPad's ability to allow you to access your e-Mail, quickly search something up on the Internet and as you mentioned, easily relax on the couch should be a tide-turner in your decision to get an iPad (2).

If you have the money to spare, I would definitely consider (and probably end up buying) an iPad (2).

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to have a Macbook but can't afford it :-(

But I _do_ have an iPhone and an iPad, and use them both concurrently when I'm home. I can check e-mail, use the Visual Timer, text on the phone, watch radar, while playing WWF, reading Flipbook, or watching TDF videos on the iPad, while sitting out at my water garden in the evening!

My laptop is my main PC, and I have a netbook, one of Dell's 9" minis, that pretty much just sits there now...

LOVE the iPad. I can just toss it in my purse and take it anywhere.

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone 4, and iPad 1. My iPad use has gone down since I picked up the iPhone, and overall my iPad use varies over time. I don't know why, but sometimes I get all jazzed on the iPad and other times it just gets used to stream music/Pandora to the Apple TV. My wife uses the iPad far more. It is her preferred home internet, Facebook, email, and gaming platform.

I did one iPad experiment where it was the only computing device I used for almost a month. I went to Australia on a work trip and only brought the iPad. I did bring the small Apple wireless keyboard. It worked OK, but I would have been better off with the MacBook Pro. I could make do, but the little things added up. For example, I couldn't get files from others via USB key and projecting anything other than keynote was a pain. Battery life was sweet, and I loved it on the long plane rides.

Interesting device the iPad. It is the most intriguing mobile technology I have ever used. I just haven't settled in on how it fits my needs. In time as tablets mature, I have no doubt I will ditch a traditional laptop. In the meantime, the iPad is like a sex buddy. We get together occasionally for some fun, but most of the time we do our own thing. :D

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Listening to all you guys makes me think they should make a ipad pro. its like an ipad, with the capabilities of a macbook :O

HAHAH Not too sure what'd be in it, but the idea of it DOES seem to be cool.

Though, the iPad was supposed to be the bridge between the iPhone/iPod touch and the MacBook line, so the fact that it has less functionality than an MacBook is a given and (in my opinion) should be considered it's (unique) 'characteristics'.

The thought of a 'pro' iPad does have me curious!!

wsm23#IM

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I do not have a MBP, but I can tell you from expierence that I use my Ipad 2 every night. Like others have said above, it is by far the best option for size and portability. I would suggest to everyone too go and pick one up. :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods