iPad 3 this October *Updated - DELAYED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gym

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
The iPad is already pretty expensive. Among their other problems, competitors are already having problems coming up with tablets that match the ipad's price with a similar build and feature set.

You seem to debunk your own argument there. Competitors are struggling to match the current iPad on price so I don't think the iPad is expensive at all by way of comparison.

I believe there's a willingness in the market to pay for a higher-res, higher powered iPad and perhaps some other new features. Having said that, 'new features' these days seem to be increasingly reliant on Apps rather than hardware. Smaller, thinner, faster can only entice people so much.

Singlestick

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
You seem to debunk your own argument there. Competitors are struggling to match the current iPad on price so I don't think the iPad is expensive at all by way of comparison.

I believe there's a willingness in the market to pay for a higher-res, higher powered iPad and perhaps some other new features. Having said that, 'new features' these days seem to be increasingly reliant on Apps rather than hardware. Smaller, thinner, faster can only entice people so much.

Competitors are struggling to match the current iPad on price, and are not selling anything. Some are even pulling out of the market altogether. These companies would be on an even faster rocketship to oblivion if they tried to push a "premium" tablet. On the other hand, ebook readers, which are cheaper than the iPad, are selling better than all tablets, according to a recent PEW study. This suggests that there is some price sensitivity with respect to what people are willing to pay for a new device.

Higher res and higher powered, unless there is some new feature, service or amazing app that provides a customer benefit starts pushing the iPad into the realm of a techno geek piece of frivolity. Similarly, segmenting the iPad into "cheaper" and "high end" dilutes the overall perception of the value of the product to no obvious benefit.

erawsd

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree that an iPad 3 seems unlikely.

Such a quick refresh and releasing it along side the new iPhone feels very uncharacteristic of the company. If this were Motorola or Samsung then I wouldn't give it a second thought.

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
If they put a tiered product structure in, they'd have to offer ipad 2 at a heavily reduced price, which I doubt they could do if they don't want to operate at a loss with it. Other option would be to increase the price of ipad 3, which would price them out of the market. If they were to offer ipad 3 as a pro version, removing 3G from ipad 2 could be viable. But then they'd end up with a bastardized product

I don't see how they're going to manage it without offending someone. Only option I can think would give them a win win is to postpone the launch of ipad 3 and iphone 5 untill next year. This would give ipad 2 a reasonable life cycle and they could take iphone 4 off of the shelves, then launch iphone 4s in september with IOS 5 to keep the interest going.

Easiest way to describe difference betweeb ipad 2 vs iphone 4 dislpay is bitmap vs vector, but it is still a great piece of kit which I would be lost without. I now stream all content from itunes server in my loft (attic for our American friends).

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Do you really think it will come this year? If it that happens, it kind of disobeys Apple's annual update routine.

That's already happened with no iPhone being released in the summer... And that doesn't mean a thing. Apple does not have to follow any rules of when they can or can't release a product.

tengence

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
iphone 5

So from what you know, is it going to be worth upgrading from a 4 or should one just wait until the next version? Also if you have an ipad2 should you bother selling the current one to get the newer one? Are they going to be LTE compatible at all do you know by any chance?

Singlestick

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
So from what you know, is it going to be worth upgrading from a 4 or should one just wait until the next version? Also if you have an ipad2 should you bother selling the current one to get the newer one? Are they going to be LTE compatible at all do you know by any chance?

No one knows the answer to these questions about when a new iPad will be released or what it might support. There won't even be any good rumors until the press and others get back from the Fourth of July holiday.

Some people who sold their old iPad apparently got a good deal when the iPad2 was announced. If the demand for the iPad continues to be strong, this might be something to consider.

erawsd

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That's already happened with no iPhone being released in the summer... And that doesn't mean a thing. Apple does not have to follow any rules of when they can or can't release a product.

Apple pushes back annual refreshes all the time though, some things are nearly two years old before it gets a proper update. However, there is no history of them updating products in half the time nor are they known to launch two major products at once.

Of course they don't have to follow any rules, they could have released an iPad 3 on March 12th if they wanted. They didn't because its not how they've ever done business, which is what makes an iPad 3 hard to believe. If there is something new my guess is that it'll be a "nano" or "pro" iPad -- not a true refresh.

oNly1pHone

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Simply can't see Apple releasing another new iPad so soon after the last one was released. The non tech geeks that make up the vast majority of all of the sales out there just end up getting turned off if new products are released one after the other! I can see Apple waiting out the usual full product cycle! I have no way of knowing this but it just seems like the smart thing to do!!

jacmeister68

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Hi Jeremy, yes do agree with you that Apple does not have to follow any rules, they have the market power to release products whenever they see fit.

However, they must remember why people like myself have always used their products. One is the overall quality of product but also you could always count on not getting shafted by endless releases of new products. They have always been timely. People have only just bought the ipad2 to be told that 2011 was the year of the ipad2 only for a version 3 to be announced in October.

We do not want them turning into Microsoft which is what is happening with their dominance and funnily enough Microsoft are now trying to be Apple.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or should not do. Can't do that. This thread isn't about the next iPhone but if I were in your position I'd hold off a few months regardless of the update. October is not that far off.

No one knows the answer to these questions about when a new iPad will be released or what it might support.

So not true...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This will be the last time I post in this thread - I spoke to "Cupertino" again today and verified that OCTOBER is the month the next iPad that's considered a true iPad upgrade... is scheduled to be released.

So you guys/gals take it however you want it and if it makes you feel better, I've seen a early version of it, high res screen and all.

Last edited:

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Like the iPhone, I'm glad I waited. I was going to get the original iPhone when it was released, but waited til iPhone 4. Now I was going to buy the iPad 2, but now I'm glad I waited. Going to try to buy the iPad 3, but that's if it's not outrageously priced.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This will be the last time I post in this thread - I spoke to "Cupertino" again today and verified that OCTOBER is the month the next iPad that's considered a true iPad upgrade... is scheduled to be released.

So you guys/gals take it however you want it and if it makes you feel better, I've seen a early version of it, high res screen and all.

Quoted for truth. :D

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

See now you went and got greedy - I might have started to believe until you said you've seen it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2