iPad 3 this October *Updated - DELAYED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The reason the next iPhone is coming in October is solely based on Verizon getting the iPhone 4 so late. When they got the iPhone they asked for an iPad with their 3G connectivity. Now enter a half baked iPad 2. The iPad 2 as we know it is thanks to Verizon. I can tell you that is 100% fact.

This the reason I didn't get the iPad 2. Didn't want half baked. And it was obvious why iPhone 5 was pushed back. Dam big red

thekarens

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The reason the next iPhone is coming in October is solely based on Verizon getting the iPhone 4 so late. When they got the iPhone they asked for an iPad with their 3G connectivity. Now enter a half baked iPad 2. The iPad 2 as we know it is thanks to Verizon. I can tell you that is 100% fact.

Do you think apple will offer an iphone on Sprint and T-Mo this fall as well?

I don't think you can call the ipad 2 half baked. Half baked implies there are serious flaws, like the playbook. Ipad 2 works well, just doesn't have some of the features we'd like to see.

It also seems highly unlikely apple was pushed around by verizon. Apple is never pushed around by anyone.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Do you think apple will offer an iphone on Sprint and T-Mo this fall as well?

I don't think you can call the ipad 2 half baked. Half baked implies there are serious flaws, like the playbook. Ipad 2 works well, just doesn't have some of the features we'd like to see.

It also seems highly unlikely apple was pushed around by verizon. Apple is never pushed around by anyone.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

I have no idea about a "regular" iPhone on T-Mobile or Sprint. (Hint Hint) When I say half baked I mean the hardware is not exactly what Apple had planned. I wouldn't consider the Playbook half baked but rather FLAWED. I never said pushed but Apple had to do something for Verizon once the iPhone 4 was released on their network. Perhaps some clause in the contract. All I know is if Verizon was not involved so late we would have seen the next iPhone by now and possibly the real next generation of iPad. And the white iPhone was ready before it's release but was held even further to fill "the gap" but that's a whole other story.

That's all I really have to say about all of this so I'll leave it at that.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Noting but a my own gut feeling here but since its been almost 4 months since the iPad 2 release & Apple still can't keep them on shelves it makes me believe that Apple is purposefully holding back on production as to not flood the market. They produce just enough to make supply slightly restrained to not so much that people are going to get to frustrated and buy something else.

I truly believe since the iPhone 4 is over a year old now that production has to be slowing down on those and even if they are making the iPhone 5/4s that didn't keep the original iPad from being readily available by now.

Add that all up and to me it smells like a fall launch of an iPad 3 this year. I bet all the people saying there won't be an iPad 3 this year were the same people saying that Apple was going to release a new iPhone at WWDC they past summer. Plus I can't dismiss Jeremy's contacts he's usually spot on!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm just saying. And I've known what's happening with the iPad 3 since the day iPad 2 was released. You can take it or leave it - but there are certain things I will not say unless I know you personally. Here or on Twitter I may drop pieces but I will never spell it out for you. There are a few reasons why stories do not get posted on the front page and mainly it's out of respect for the source of my information as it's a personal friend. And this person knows my relation to this site. To back up my source I will tell you I knew about the release date of the original iPad a year in advance as well as the iPhone 4. I even posted the dates (very quietly) here in this very forum well before they were announced by Apple. And with pretty much anything in this industry things often change but from what I've been hearing first hand from someone close to the 3rd generation iPad, it will be this year (2011).
I understand where you are coming from in not wanting to reveal your source of information, However, if true, this makes me wonder why Steve ever said; "2011 year of the iPad 2". Apple being his company, you would think he would have known ahead of time that the iPad 3 was to follow 6 or 7 months later and not make a statement as bold as that.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
From what I know about the 3rd generation, yes. Very much so. And people in Cupertino say the 3rd is the true iPad upgrade.

Thanks, I get what you meant now. I think it was already a given, though, that the only real upgrade from the iPad 1 was that the iPad 2 was lighter, had a camera and a slightly faster processor.... I would like to see a Retina display on the iPad 3, and a flash for the camera. :)

Lee10

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ipad3

Hopefully new Ipad3 having more latest features with high pixel camera. I'm curious to see what other new hardware features it will have besides the new screen. :cool:

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I think iOS 5, iPhone 5, and iPad 3 will be released together.

but that might be crazy.

This is exactly what im predicting but Apple always seem to surprise, so just holding my breath until the next event. Hopefully its three big hits as above!

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Well after having ipad 2 for nearly a week I have to say it's one of the best purchases I ever made. i will, however, still get a gen 3. Nothing to do with having to have the latest, it's all about the screen.

The screen ipad 2 has is good, but nowhere near the definition of iphone 4. If ipad 3 screen has that kind of viewing comfort then it's a given for me.

If anyone is looking to buy an ipad and isn't too bothered about retina display, then go ahead and get an ipad 2. I fully recommend it........... and I'm mainly anti-apple!!

My laptop has been but in a case, only to be used for serious application use and my cd player has been archived! I've just stumbled across the Alesis IO dock which, coupled with apple tv, pretty much wraps up my needs. All good!

Jmsully

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
What if on september 1st ( or wheneve Apple has the iPod event) they have the 'one more thing' and release the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I know about the 3rd generation, yes. Very much so. And people in Cupertino say the 3rd is the true iPad upgrade.

I get what your saying about the iPad 2 - had mine for a few days now... But with that same logic, I'd say iPad 2 is what iPad 1 should have been in 2010 and what we *should* have had as gen 2 is a retina iPad 2 aka iPad 3

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well after having ipad 2 for nearly a week I have to say it's one of the best purchases I ever made. i will, however, still get a gen 3. Nothing to do with having to have the latest, it's all about the screen.

The screen ipad 2 has is good, but nowhere near the definition of iphone 4. If ipad 3 screen has that kind of viewing comfort then it's a given for me.

If anyone is looking to buy an ipad and isn't too bothered about retina display, then go ahead and get an ipad 2. I fully recommend it........... and I'm mainly anti-apple!!

My laptop has been but in a case, only to be used for serious application use and my cd player has been archived! I've just stumbled across the Alesis IO dock which, coupled with apple tv, pretty much wraps up my needs. All good!

I'm in the same boat as you... Have had my iPad 2 for a bit less than a week... And I REALLY want a retina display iPad... As a standalone, ipad 2 display isnt bad.... But switching between it and an iPhone 4, I gotta say it makes the iPad display look like ****... Can see the individual pixels and it drives me nuts! ;) As soon as iPad 3 gets released, even if sooner rather than later, I'm buying one the day of release... This 132 ppi or whatnot is just not cutting it these days...

Plus even with the A5 in the iPad 2 I still find the iPhone 4 snappier... iPad 3 w/ retina and A6 processor would be the cat's meow...

Gym

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
This could be the opportunity to perhaps create a tiered iPad offering, ala iMac vs Mac Pro. With iPad there's more scope to create a higher end offering, unlike iPhone, where talk of a cut-down, mass-market product just doesn't seem to fit Apple's MO. There could be the mass-market iPad, ie: what we have now, and an upscale, hi-res version at greater cost.

One things for sure, it's an exciting time to be a geek ;)

Singlestick

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
This could be the opportunity to perhaps create a tiered iPad offering, ala iMac vs Mac Pro. With iPad there's more scope to create a higher end offering, unlike iPhone, where talk of a cut-down, mass-market product just doesn't seem to fit Apple's MO. There could be the mass-market iPad, ie: what we have now, and an upscale, hi-res version at greater cost.

One things for sure, it's an exciting time to be a geek ;)

The iPad is already pretty expensive. Among their other problems, competitors are already having problems coming up with tablets that match the ipad's price with a similar build and feature set. A "higher end" iPad would be the kiss of death for the product and might stall tablet development in general. You would end up with a boutique or niche product with limited growth potential.

The challenge is for Apple to find a way to improve the product and keep it within reasonable range of its current pricing. Along these lines, many analysts think that a retina display iPad would add significantly to its cost. And while such a display would be really "cool," I am not sure that it would be a huge increase in screen quality relative to cost.

And while stuff like retina display and a 5mp camera might show up the iPad, this stuff does little more than add old stuff that already exists on the iPhone. The next iPad needs to have new features and capabilities that exploit the capabilities of IOS5 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW