just got a call from apple, light leak ipad 2

Swarm

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
so aparently apple is calling customers that reported light leakage on their ipad 2's, they just offered to send me a new "light leak free" unit. it would seem that all of this talk on the internet has finally recieved a response from apple and they are actually doing something about it. any one else getting calls from apple about this? I have had 4 units replaced so far and the one i currently have(has 3 or 4 spots on it)has been the best out of the 4. apple contacted me out of the blue, i had not started a case with them or complained about my current unit at all, i seemed like they knew it was an issue. the rep on the phone said it is a widespread manufacturing problem and they just now are getting it fixed. i will update as soon as i recieve the new unit. any one else have a similar experiance? disuss...

Swarm

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
so the new one is better, its not perfect but its much better. at this point im satisfied with it. out of the 5 i have had this one is way better quality. supposedly the screens on the newer batches are made by samsung which(if you are up to date on tech) is the best led lcd manufacturer in the world period. anyways, let me know if any of you guys are having issues with yours and i will be happy to help you get it fixed now that i have been through the process so many times.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
so the new one is better, its not perfect but its much better. at this point im satisfied with it. out of the 5 i have had this one is way better quality. supposedly the screens on the newer batches are made by samsung which(if you are up to date on tech) is the best led lcd manufacturer in the world period. anyways, let me know if any of you guys are having issues with yours and i will be happy to help you get it fixed now that i have been through the process so many times.

you went through 5? Geez. Glad I just stuck with my 1st gen. Glad you got a good one though. I would be frusterated

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I checked mine and there is a little light leak on the bottom in landscape mode. I only notice it when watching video though. But I will have to take it to Apple for an unrelated issue: The gap between the glass and back case is coming up in a small spot on the top... :/

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
My white iPad 2 that I got a week after launch has the light leak but its only noticeable in certain apps. Doesn't really bother me so I've kept this unit it for the time being..

Supra1jz

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
all i did was go to the apple store and show them my ipad2 and they tokk it to the back and then came back and told me that i will be getting a new ipad2 so you can just take it to the apple store..

Rusher6guns

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
after reading this post I went into a dark room and noticed that I have the "light leakage" aswell but not that bad...anyone know if this will get worse over time? Right now it's livable but if it will worsen over time then I should nip it in the bud........

PsYcHoNeWb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure if mine has a light leak last night. After playing some Plants v. Zombies last night before bed, my room was dark and the only bright light was my iPad 2 and TV all the way across the room. When I went to turn it off I saw that on the bottom by the home button there where 2 spots where white light is but only very little. I played games with it, watched HBO GO, NetFlix, and Movies on it and haven't noticed it. I only notice this when I turn the device on or off. Is this a light leakage and should I bring it back to apple?

Edit: Just got off the phone with apple support and they told me to just go to the apple store and have the genius bar look at it. They made me an appointment on the phone.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I am not sure if mine has a light leak last night. After playing some Plants v. Zombies last night before bed, my room was dark and the only bright light was my iPad 2 and TV all the way across the room. When I went to turn it off I saw that on the bottom by the home button there where 2 spots where white light is but only very little. I played games with it, watched HBO GO, NetFlix, and Movies on it and haven't noticed it. I only notice this when I turn the device on or off. Is this a light leakage and should I bring it back to apple?

Edit: Just got off the phone with apple support and they told me to just go to the apple store and have the genius bar look at it. They made me an appointment on the phone.

Chances are if they deem it to be "reasonable" they will not do anything about it. I was told by several higher up tech people that Apple is claiming that a certain amount of light leak is "normal".

PsYcHoNeWb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Chances are if they deem it to be "reasonable" they will not do anything about it. I was told by several higher up tech people that Apple is claiming that a certain amount of light leak is "normal".

I just got back from the store and they told me that there was a good amount of light leakage and they would replace it. However, Apple now is only doing 1 replacement for the light leakage problem and after that they will issue you a refund for the device.

I purchased mine on Amazon (since they had a deal where I could pay it off over 6 months with no interest) so they will take 3-5 days to get one in stock. If you bought one from the Apple store, you get one on the spot. They also DO NOT guarantee that the replacement will be better or worse than the original one.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I just got back from the store and they told me that there was a good amount of light leakage and they would replace it. However, Apple now is only doing 1 replacement for the light leakage problem and after that they will issue you a refund for the device.

I purchased mine on Amazon (since they had a deal where I could pay it off over 6 months with no interest) so they will take 3-5 days to get one in stock. If you bought one from the Apple store, you get one on the spot. They also DO NOT guarantee that the replacement will be better or worse than the original one.

Yup, that's the thing you are more than likely to get one worse than your current one sadly.

PsYcHoNeWb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I actually got the replacement iPad today and there is still some light leakage. No big deal however since you can only see it when you turn the device on and off. Better than before.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone received a replacement that leaks worse than their original? My theory is that more recent production should be better than early release product.

PsYcHoNeWb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone received a replacement that leaks worse than their original? My theory is that more recent production should be better than early release product.

There certainly is a good chance that you will get one that is worse. For example, if you returned one that had just a minor light leak in one spot and then go the same replacement that I did it would probably be worse lol. I honestly don't care about it, by the time it starts to annoy me the iPad 3 will already be out :rolleyes: