Is lack of Flash a big deal?

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering getting an iPad I to use with my Android Thunderbolt's hotspot.

I really liked the iPad but I didn't get to play woth one for more than a week.

Is the lack of Flash really noticeable and a deal breaker? I like having Flash on my phone but I'm not sure how many sites I visit actually need it.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
No, not so big deal, now there are many sites are supporting HTML 5, on iPad you nearly can visit most sites via safari, , eg. you can watch YouTube videis via YouTube app~

Reactions: Chrisy

Jordanvandyke

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I never run accross problems even on the iphone with not having flash with safari.... i would say go for it. (root of course on that thunderbolt so u dont pay the tethering fee haha)

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering getting an iPad I to use with my Android Thunderbolt's hotspot.

I really liked the iPad but I didn't get to play woth one for more than a week.

Is the lack of Flash really noticeable and a deal breaker? I like having Flash on my phone but I'm not sure how many sites I visit actually need it.

Most sites don't need flash, but there are some, and yes it's a pain to have to put the iPad down and go to a pc to view that site. However, there are alternatives like Puffin browser and Iswifter. It's not better than having native flash support, but it gets the job done.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

drmonocle

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
It bugs me occasionally when I can't watch a video, or come across a site entirely in Flash. It's becoming less and less of an issue though, since the iPad's popularity is encouraging HTML 5 use.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the lack of Flash is noticeable, but definitely not a deal breaker. Have both a iPad and a PlayBook at home, I notice the difference when browsing on the two, but iPad more than makes up for it with all the app support that it has.

Rademe

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
i agree with the previous post.... the youtube app makes up for the lack of flash.... an as someone stated before, the web is html5 and still evolving so flash is soon #dead

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It bothered my girlfriend at first since she plays a lot of Facebook/zynga games, but after introducing her to bejeweled, angry birds, plants vs zombies, words with friends and the large number of hidden picture games (which look and play far far better than their PC counterparts), her complaints have all but vanished, as has my iPad. I'm gonna have to get her an iPad sooner or later.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I confess that it can be a pain when it happens that you need it. That said, I have been evaluating Android 3 and iPad 2 for work projects and it didn't stop my getting one for personal use. The newspaper readers, a time and billing app drove the purchase more than needing Flash.

I do suggest trying the Android tablets even though I own the Apple because they like my Android phone are superior to Apple's platform in some ways that might be important to you.

Have fun shopping.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Another question: do i need a computer to own an iPad for set ups, updates, backups?

Thanks! I'm looking for a WiFi only tab.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Like all the iOS devices, you'll need to initially connect it to iTunes to get it working. iTunes basically acts as the manager as well, to do all the things you mentioned above.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Another question: do i need a computer to own an iPad for set ups, updates, backups?

Thanks! I'm looking for a WiFi only tab.

Hi,

Tablet or iPad? I ask because you don't for the Xoom but do for an iPad. Think of iTunes as your mother ship if you're not technical where the Android 3 just needs the battery charged and access to the Internet for Google's cloud.

Have fun shopping and enjoy the results.

o2sys

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
For me it didn't bother me at first but now it starts to get annoying. There are just days that I would just be visiting flash sites and made my ipad useless. Though lots of website will soon be HTML 5, there is a long way to go...

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You'd probably need to figure out the latter to answer the former for your self. What is and what isn't a deal breaker will always vary from person to person and not just when it comes to the iPad but for anything out there.

Crypton

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
If you happen to need flash on the iPad, you can either use any of the above mentioned Apps or Splashtop to connect to your computer and start IE/Safari/FireFox there.
splashtop has a verry nice video on their site demonstrating the streaming from your desktop to your iPad. I use splashtop to watch DVDs (discs) on my iPad (streamed from my desktop), so flash shouldn't be a problem.

AJErvin12

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Many sights are compatible with the iPad, but there are still enough out there not compatible to annoy the crap out of you. iFannies point to alternatives that are at best reliable with flash 50 percent of the time. In my experience not one Flash alternative browser for the iPad works for every site I want to view flash content, so I currently use three browsers in addition to Safari to make up for the lack of flash compatibility and I still can't view ESPN 3 most days. The short answer is the iPad is great with lots of video, but if you watch enough video content you will surely run into enough road blocks to piss you off.

zpithika

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yea I agree with the poster above. The lack of Flash is noticeable but I still got the iPad because I really don't go on a lot of sites with flash and I couldn't pass up all the apps. The apps for me make up for it. For example the only flash videos I watch are YouTube and there is the YouTube app. Also, most websites I go on are technology websites which for the most part use YouTube. So that's not a problem. For tv shows, there are apps like the abc player, adult swim, hbo, and crunchy roll. For movies, there is crackle, and Netflix. And for everything else I need (which isn't much) I use skyfire or splashtop. Yes it's far from perfect and not as convenient as native flash but for me it works well since I dont use a lot of flash. But I would say it all depends on your needs and the websites that you go on regularly. if you truly need flash everyday and can't make up for it with apps, then maybe an android tablet is right for you. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner