I bought a friend's iPad; Afraid to synch

scotwharton

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought a friend?s iPad several months ago and hadn't plugged it into my computer, until last night.

When I did, iTunes was asking me questions that I didn't know how to answer....things about synching and deleting and that it was the first time my PC had seen this iPad and that it was registered with another computer, etc. I got nervous, hit Cancel and ejected the iPad.

There are no movies and no music on this iPad, but it has several apps that my friend purchased that I'd like to keep on the iPad, but if I synch will it delete them since I didn't purchase them with my iTunes account?

Also, is there a way to rename the iPad in iTunes?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:

scotwharton

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Really? There isn't a way to manually synch or something like that? If it deletes everything, does that include the apps that I installed and paid for with my iTunes account? Will it re-install those?

If I want to sync music, will I have to first delete those apps and run through that process. This doesn't seem right?

What about changing the name of iPad, can I do that?

I'm hoping that buying this iPad from my friend wasn't a mistake....I mean, I can't make a backup without synching right?

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Really? There isn't a way to manually synch or something like that? If it deletes everything, does that include the apps that I installed and paid for with my iTunes account? Will it re-install those?

If I want to sync music, will I have to first delete those apps and run through that process. This doesn't seem right?

I'm hoping that buying this iPad from my friend wasn't a mistake....I mean, I can't make a backup without synching right?

Take a look at this:

Using iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers

And stuff on your OWN iTunes account can always be redownloaded and reinstalled.

As for renaming:

Just click on the device so its highlighted like so, then click once more and it will be editable.

Reactions: scotwharton

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
That's how it works. Unless your buddy comes to your house, signs into his iTunes account, authorizes your computer and stays signed in, everything he originally had on there is gonna be gone.

But, everything that YOU have bought with your iTunes account with be re-synced after... At least, it should be. If anything, you'll just have to download them again. Which, you won't be charged for.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

To change the name of your iPad, you must restore and "set up as new". I would recommend that anyways. When you restore, it will wipe everything on your iPad and restore the latest software fresh. Since you have not synced, it wont automatically restore your apps you paid for but you can re-download those for free as long its from your iTunes account. Another reason why its best to get synced.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
That's how it works. Unless your buddy comes to your house, signs into his iTunes account, authorizes your computer and stays signed in, everything he originally had on there is gonna be gone.

But, everything that YOU have bought with your iTunes account with be re-synced after... At least, it should be. If anything, you'll just have to download them again. Which, you won't be charged for.

Music, movies, TV shows you have to repay for unless it was backed up. Apps are free to re-download

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW