How much does 2gb of data really get you?

Illmusiq

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I'm finally looking to bring mobile data to my iPad and I was wondering how far 2gb would take me for simple Internet browsing? I wouldn't be watching youtube videos, just checking up on blogs like this and engadget, some news sites, and reading some textbooks online. Pertaining to the last option, I cannot find an e-reader who supplies my college textbooks, any students replacing their books with the iPad through some avenue to buy and download them onto it? Thanks for any help.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I'm finally looking to bring mobile data to my iPad and I was wondering how far 2gb would take me for simple Internet browsing? I wouldn't be watching youtube videos, just checking up on blogs like this and engadget, some news sites, and reading some textbooks online. Pertaining to the last option, I cannot find an e-reader who supplies my college textbooks, any students replacing their books with the iPad through some avenue to buy and download them onto it? Thanks for any help.

My daughter uses her Nook for her textbooks... and I know there are good/decent apps for both the Nook and the Kindle for the iPad, so that could be an option, as well.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
If you just do web browsing with no video, the 2GB should be fine, heck I'd be surprised with just web browsing you'd even hit 1GB.

I have the 2GB plan, and in my job, I use the browser at least 5 hours a day, every working day, no wifi, and I have never gotten close to the 2Gig cap. Of course when i get home I connect to my router, but you are 100% correct.

firedog25

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I tether my iPhone 4 (Verizon) and play World of Warcraft. About 8 hours worth of play is about 180 mb, yes MEGAbytes. I know that's not seriously data intensive but it's a constantly updating game so take that for what it's worth.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I actually have the 256mb plan. I choose it because I'm always around wifi at home, coffee shops, office, etc so I never go over my bucket. When I do go on extended trips and away from wifi, I have bumped up to the 2GB plan but have never been over 1GB. AT&T lets you go back and forth.

Travelin'Rich

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
On my iPhone4 I stream Sirius/XM for about 15 per week plus internet browsing, e-mails, app downloads/updates for about 1gb per month. When I do stream my Slingbox the data usage obviously goes up noticeably.

Unless you're going to be streaming a lot of video or frequently downloading large e-mail attachments I think you'll probably be OK with 2gb. I also use the myAT&T app to help keep rough track of my data usage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR