Do you wish the iPad came in a smaller size?

katrina2475

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Not at all. I think this is the perfect size. I don't necessarily use it to replace my laptop completely but it significantly cuts down on my laptop usage. Anything smaller wouldn't work for my needs.

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
yes, definitely...it's bigger than my handbag...

Yep, that is pretty much the only reason I can think of why Apple should consider a smaller size. There are people who would be willing to suffer with a lesser UI experience in trade for the practicality of the smaller size (whether they realize it or not... which I'm guessing many of the 7" tablet fans of other brands do not).

Historically, the way Apple decides on these things doesn't bode well for your wish though.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you wish the iPad came in a smaller size?
Nope.

But really Steve????? Four versions of the iPod makes sense but "One Size Fits ALL" for iPad? "Seriously", I say in my best Grey's Anatomy voice?
What year did the iPod originally come out? What year was the first year with multiple (physical) sizes of iPods?

So, out of sheer curiousity, if the next upgrade to an iPad was a smaller size, would you buy one if this was your FIRST iPad purchase?
Nope.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I love the current size and no, I wouldn't purchase a 7" "tablet". I don't consider an iPad "portable" and didn't buy it as such. It fits in my bag and when I'm sitting somewhere that I can sit back and relax, I use it. When I'm at the grocery store and need a list, I want something that slides into a pocket easily, thus my iPhone. I definitely couldn't see myself comfortably watching streaming media from my desk on a 7" device. Two different devices for two different needs...one portable, the other practical. No need in my life for an in-between size.

IMO, the iPad was more a laptop replacement than anything. I've never carried a laptop around, but this baby goes to work with me every day and will also travel with me. It's perfect!

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Vote for 7" iPad here as well. I think at least having the option is definitely worth it. Even if the thickness of the device was a concern and mandated a thicker shell - the trade-off is sooo worth it. As a matter of fact, I think a bit of thickness added onto a smaller form factor would feel "just right" in my hands when I was on the move. Sometimes I am worried that this paper-thin piece of electronic wizardry is going to slip right out of my hand and make that final marriage with the concrete at my feet!

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
@SteveW928 - the comment on Apple's decisions coinciding with the wishes of the consumer is so true! I wish it wasn't as I believe there are so many great ideas that come from the community that I would love to see implemented into a real-world device, but who are we to question the God's over there anyway? ;)

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
@SteveW928 - the comment on Apple's decisions coinciding with the wishes of the consumer is so true! I wish it wasn't as I believe there are so many great ideas that come from the community that I would love to see implemented into a real-world device, but who are we to question the God's over there anyway? ;)

Remember, it's a double-edged sword though. If you allow too much input from customers, you'll end up with all kinds of crazy stuff, too diverse of product lines, and generally a mess. It ultimately ends up holding back innovation. Apple tends to err on the conservative side. Generally, I think they do well because if it, even though they get so much flack on it.

Giving someone an inferior device, even if they have asked for it, is a tricky thing. People usually end up, at least sub-consciously, blaming it on the company. For example... say Apple makes the 7" tablet, and people generally have a more difficult time using the UI, though the problem is too slight to be absolutely obvious. (because with the compressed UI, things are harder to do) They aren't going to say, 'Gee, Apple warned me about this, so I should have bought the 10"' Instead, they will just be more likely to be slightly unsatisfied and buy some other brand the next time.

Also, in my many years of experience with Apple, they actually do seem to listen quite a bit. I've submitted many ideas to them over the years on their products, and a good number of them have been implemented. I'm sure some of them were natural directions they were headed anyway... others were probably things lots of people asked for. But, some were things that were pretty obscure, so I've almost wondered if my voice played a part in it happening.

xxraffyxx

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Vote for 7" iPad here as well. I think at least having the option is definitely worth it. Even if the thickness of the device was a concern and mandated a thicker shell - the trade-off is sooo worth it. As a matter of fact, I think a bit of thickness added onto a smaller form factor would feel "just right" in my hands when I was on the move. Sometimes I am worried that this paper-thin piece of electronic wizardry is going to slip right out of my hand and make that final marriage with the concrete at my feet!

Good to hear I'm not the only one. I have soo much more to stay about why the 7" is a great size, but I thinkg too many people dont like the idea of a "only" 7 inch tablet.

Common people haven't you heard..... "dont knock it till you try it"

I have a ipad 2 and a xoom, and would quickly drop both of them for a 7" ipad or honeycomb tablet.

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
There are people who would be willing to suffer with a lesser UI experience in trade for the practicality of the smaller size (whether they realize it or not... which I'm guessing many of the 7" tablet fans of other brands do not).
No offense, but what added practicality UI-wise does an iPad offer over an iPhone? Other than apps being specifically designed for the larger screen, there really isn't much of a difference. Plus the argument that you cannot offer a comprehensive user experience on a 7" device isn't necessarily true either. Take a look at the Blackberry PlayBook, for example. It's not just a larger Blackberry phone as it has an OS specifically designed for a tablet, unlike the iPad.

If you look at Apple, they have essentially 3 product lines running the same software (iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad). I'm not saying it's not a decent OS as I left Android for an iPhone 4 when it came to Verizon; however, a tablet should offer the user functionality that they can't get on their phone, much like Android Honeycomb (despite it not being totally finished) and Blackberry's QNX OS.

Last edited:

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I want a tablet to approximate the size and dimensions of a piece of paper. My mobile phone falls short of that and my laptops more cumbersome than I would like for reading books, flipping through comics, etc.

Seven inch tablets might have advantages but, with the right accessories, some of which I've yet to see, I would stick with the almost ten inch iPad.

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but what added practicality UI-wise does an iPad offer over an iPhone? Other than apps being specifically designed for the larger screen, there really isn't much of a difference.

Well, that IS the difference... that's kind of what UI is all about. The UI is designed for the size, which is especially important for a touch interface (than it would be on, say a desktop with a mouse). If you shrink it, you have to either make a new resolution (another version of each app), or you have to just squish the UI to fit the same rez on the smaller device, which makes for a harder UI to use. Notice that iPhones don't just squish down iPad apps, but actually have a separate version.

This problem is going to show up on all these various sized tablets if the designs aren't targeted at them... but like the Windows world in desktop OSs, that market doesn't really give a hoot about UI design. It is one of Apple's big advantages... always has been.

Plus the argument that you cannot offer a comprehensive user experience on a 7" device isn't necessarily true either. Take a look at the Blackberry PlayBook, for example. It's not just a larger Blackberry phone as it has an OS specifically designed for a tablet, unlike the iPad.

The iPad has it's own UI design, that's why there are different apps for iPhone and iPad. It doesn't require a different OS. BB had to do that because their phone OS was never designed for a tablet. Apple's design originally started as a tablet OS.

If you look at Apple, they have essentially 3 product lines running the same software (iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad). I'm not saying it's not a decent OS as I left Android for an iPhone 4 when it came to Verizon; however, a tablet should offer the user functionality that they can't get on their phone, much like Android Honeycomb (despite it not being totally finished) and Blackberry's QNX OS.

There are really only two. The iPod Touch is an iPhone without the cellular chip... OS and UI wise, they are the same.

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I would buy a 7" iPad only because it'd probably be cheaper. I'm very much enjoying the 10 inch screen. Safari is much more enjoyable/usable in the iPad than on an iPhone. And sketchbook pro is a much better app when it's on a paper sized device. Although, I DO stick to playing angry birds on the iPhone.

Smokexz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I would buy an iPhone, if it came with a bigger screen, the 3.5 size is just so childish, once you hit 4 and up... it's kinda hard to go back. Yes, I would buy an iPad if it were maybe 8.9, the Optimus Pad looks like it hit a new sweet spot. As a Xoom owner, I really doubt you would want to go any bigger, cause the Xoom is pretty big, though they are essentially the same size( compared with a friend's iPad 2). They are so similar, I am using an iPad case to hold my Xoom, lol.

Sent from my Xoom

dach818

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
If they came out with a smaller ipad, I would definitely buy it. I find that the ipad is just a little too big for me to carry everywhere.

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, that IS the difference... that's kind of what UI is all about. The UI is designed for the size, which is especially important for a touch interface (than it would be on, say a desktop with a mouse). If you shrink it, you have to either make a new resolution (another version of each app), or you have to just squish the UI to fit the same rez on the smaller device, which makes for a harder UI to use. Notice that iPhones don't just squish down iPad apps, but actually have a separate version.

I think you're missing my point. Other than a slight scaling of apps, there is no ADDITIONAL functionality over an iPhone provided by the OS of the iPad. There isn't anything you can do on an iPad that you can't already do on an iPhone.

Take Android for example. While Honeycomb may be in its infancy and does have its fair share of bugs to work out, the OS provides a lot of extra functionality, whether it be from a fully implemented tabbed browsing experience, the new way of handling notifications, the multi-tasking switching, etc. All of these processes are handled much differently than they are in the software versions of Android designed for their smartphones.

While I do love the simplicity of iOS on my iPhone, I feel that it is too dumbed down for use on a tablet (for my own needs, your mileage may vary). I do hope that iOS 5 does address some of the shortcomings that currently can only be solved by jailbreaking.

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think you're missing my point. Other than a slight scaling of apps, there is no ADDITIONAL functionality over an iPhone provided by the OS of the iPad. There isn't anything you can do on an iPad that you can't already do on an iPhone.

Why would there need to be? Again, iOS was developed for the tablet originally, and adapted to the phone.

Also, all your examples are simple OS feature additions, some of which are already addressed by 3rd parties, or as you noted, could easily be added in the next iOS update. There isn't a need for a separate OS for each.

My point is that good UIs are designed for a certain size, especially for a touch based device like this. When you start to scale them down, they get harder to use. The phone IS harder to use (that's why I want an iPad), and that is kind of a compromise. However, by having separate apps where developers try to optimize things to the small screen, it somewhat counters this effect.

Peaches19

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I really wish we had the option because a smaller iPad would still be way better for surfing than an iphone but would be cheaper and more convenient.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit