iPad 2 cracked glass

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought my iPad 2 at Best Buy - I did not take the insurance they offer and was told I had 14 days after my purchase to opt in - when the glass cracked I brought it to Best Buy and the (very unfriendly) clerk immediately asked if I bought the insurance - I told her that I did not, but was told I had 14 days to do so - she said it was too late because my iPad 2 was damaged - so i asked "what if I was to go to a different Best Buy and ask for the insurance?" and she said that since it's after the time I made my purchase they would have to physically see the iPad 2 to make sure there was no damage. Fortunately, Apple is making good on this kind of damage!

Wow... you really expected BestBuy (or anyone) to insure your device AFTER it was damaged? The point of insurance is to hedge against the risk of damage... it's not about "oops, I broke it, now can I pay you 1/5 the value of the device to replace it"...

*SMH*

Last edited:

scorourke

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow... you really expected BestBuy (or anyone) to insure your device AFTER it was damaged? The point of insurance is to hedge against the risk of damage... it's not a "oops, I broke it, now can I pay you 1/5 the value of the device to replace it"...

*SMH*

Not at all - although Apple DID insure my device AFTER it was damaged - I went to Best Buy to see what could be done - I was willing to pay for a repair - but Best Buy wouldn't even talk to me when they found out I didn't get the insurance

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not at all - although Apple DID insure my device AFTER it was damaged - I went to Best Buy to see what could be done - I was willing to pay for a repair - but Best Buy wouldn't even talk to me when they found out I didn't get the insurance

Apple did not insure the device... they agreed to repair/replace it for whatever reason (good will, concern about a design issue, or whatever)... it was NOT insurance. And Best Buy is in the business of selling stuff - including their after-market warranties... if you had bought their warranty, they may have replaced it - or sent it to Apple for repair. Since you did not, their business transaction with you was completed.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought my iPad 2 at Best Buy - I did not take the insurance they offer and was told I had 14 days after my purchase to opt in - when the glass cracked I brought it to Best Buy and the (very unfriendly) clerk immediately asked if I bought the insurance - I told her that I did not, but was told I had 14 days to do so - she said it was too late because my iPad 2 was damaged - so i asked "what if I was to go to a different Best Buy and ask for the insurance?" and she said that since it's after the time I made my purchase they would have to physically see the iPad 2 to make sure there was no damage. Fortunately, Apple is making good on this kind of damage!

Apple has A+ customer service. Never seen anything like it in retail. Just a FYI, if you have renters or homeowners insurance you probably can endorse your iPad against breakage or theft and usually very cheap with little or no deductible.

Reactions: scorourke

scorourke

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple did not insure the device... they agreed to repair/replace it for whatever reason (good will, concern about a design issue, or whatever)... it was NOT insurance. And Best Buy is in the business of selling stuff - including their after-market warranties... if you had bought their warranty, they may have replaced it - or sent it to Apple for repair. Since you did not, their business transaction with you was completed.

I never questioned that

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
moral to the story is

apple is top notch with me.. i broke my ipad it was my fault and they replaced it for free for me

user_name

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
yeah I dropped my ipod touch 2g on the floor when I dropped it, it was facing flat on the floor. And there was just a 2 or 3 scratches on it.

michb

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Same problem

Oh my gosh! The same thing happened to mine! Can you tell me the cost?

Has anybody had to repair glass on an ipad2 is it a pretty easy process?

Mine fell on the corner of it too and the back aluminum case got dented in the corner too is that something tha can b replaced or fixed too?[/QUOTE]

Ashmarie73

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
forgot to update what happened with mine.

took it to the Lehigh Valley apple store after calling applecare. applecare said they would do a one time exchange. now me being the pessimist, I figured by the time i got to the store the story would change. but to my surprise nope! she said she would do a swap. unfortunately they did not have one in stock to replace mine, so she called the King Of Prussia store and thankfully they did!

a bit of driving later I have a brand new iPad2!!

seconds later got the ZAGG invisible shield installed and its been smooth sailing ever since :)

Good Luck All!

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a 1g iPad but I'm skeptical about invisible shield. Does it take away from the beauty of the glass and/or responsiveness of the touchscreen?

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I had one on my droid but it drove me nuts. There's no doubt it protects the screen but its definitely not invisible. You can tell it's there.

Ashmarie73

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
i have the ZAGG on everything Apple and would never go back!

if u have a ZAGG installation shop near you its worth the investment.

The one at the King Of Prussia Mall in PA will replace it whenever you find something you dislike about it, lint, scratch, bubble whatever, for only the installation fee, for the iPhone its $10 for the whole thing (front back sides) not sure about the iPad bc mines been perfect ever since install.

If its within 30 days of the last installation its free!

MrPaul#IM

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Also cracked my screen

I just wanted to put a bookend on my story: I was called by the Apple Store last night to let me know my iPad 2 was ready - I brought my cracked one in and we did an even swap - the staff was, once again, courteous and friendly, and I am now using my new - new - iPad 2! For the time being I have my iPad 2 in the original Apple Case (that I bought last year for the iPad) - it doesn't fit properly but I am very paranoid about any harm coming to it! I now continue my quest for the 'perfect' iPad 2 case - does anyone here use one that they love? Please let me know!

Cracked my screen and apple are repaving free of charge. I have the leather smart cover. Cool to use but no protection. I have just got the Targus ipad2 case / cover. Protected in a plastic holder. Rotates. Looks amazing. Highly recommend this. Only down side is that it doesn't switch off automatically like the smart cover.

Kube

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
iPad2 broken glass poor service

My iPad2 fell off my lap and hit the ground and broke all four corners. I took it to the Apple Store #345 in Temecula, CA. Instead of assisting me and explaining my options, the Store Manager actually said, "Sorry I cannot take it back because I would have to discharge it as damaged goods." After reading several blogs/comments, many people have been fortunate and their store replaced it no charge. I guess my Apple Store is more interested in profitability than actually helping customers. I called Apple direct and they said replacement is $419.00. Evidently, the product is poorly designed and too many iPad2's are coming back due to broken glass. Or better yet, it is designed correctly so they can take advantage of Apple's customers for profitability. Sad situation. Considering changing to a Tablet from another manufacturer.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
You admit your iPad fell of your knee and somehow its Apple fault? Really?

Do you honest think if it was an HP Tablet and this happened that HP would just replace it for free? What about Motorola with there Zoom or Samsung with there Galaxy Tab? Think they would have replaced it for free?

No offense here, but this was your fault, these devices have glass displays and while I understand that accidents happens it is the very reason I have a square trade warranty because it covers these type accidents. I think it is unrealistic to expect Apple to just give you a free one, but that is me.