iPad 2 cracked glass

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
thinking about what the apple rep was telling me i believe the apple enigineers are looking at the fact that since the smart covers have magnets in the them that are all seperated like not one continuous piece they actually could do more in making the glass shatter then preventing it..

what do u guys think? like if it was on solid piece of course it wouldnt b foldable but the physics of separate hard pieces hitting the ground would have to harm the glass even more right?

what do yall think?

scorourke

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat, I'm afraid. Last night my iPad 2 fell off the arm of my sofa and fell about 2 feet to the ground - I have a carpet on the floor and I had the Apple cover on my iPad so I would never expect this rather short distance fall to cause such a crack - the crack is about half the size of a thumbnail and doesn't interfere with the viewable area of the iPad but it's still a crack that could potentially "spider"
I brought it directly to Best Buy this morning (where I purchased it - Best Buy is a lot more conveniently located than the nearest Apple Store). They said there was nothing they could do
I called an Apple Tech just to find out how much it would cost to fix - he told me that screens were $349 to replace! Then he urged me to go to my nearest Apple Store because he believed, from the description I gave him of the crack, that Apple would replace it for me free of charge. So I have an appointment this evening at my Apple Store. I will update this forum with the results of that visit

scorourke

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So I went to the Apple Store where I was greeted numerous times by friendly and courteous sales people - my appointment at the Genius Bar was at 6:20 and even though the store was crowded I was seen about 15 minutes early - the Tech listened to what happened, ran some diags, punched some info into his iPhone and about three minutes later informed me that Apple would replace my iPad 2 FREE OF CHARGE!!!!! And, he actually seemed as happy to tell me that as I was to hear it!!!!! They didn't have any there so he gave me back my cracked one and said they'd call me in about 3 days at which time I could bring mine in for an even exchange! God bless Apple!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So I went to the Apple Store where I was greeted numerous times by friendly and courteous sales people - my appointment at the Genius Bar was at 6:20 and even though the store was crowded I was seen about 15 minutes early - the Tech listened to what happened, ran some diags, punched some info into his iPhone and about three minutes later informed me that Apple would replace my iPad 2 FREE OF CHARGE!!!!! And, he actually seemed as happy to tell me that as I was to hear it!!!!! They didn't have any there so he gave me back my cracked one and said they'd call me in about 3 days at which time I could bring mine in for an even exchange! God bless Apple!

Awesome news!!!

Reactions: scorourke

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site

yep! samething that happen with mine.. there is something going on! perhaps them smart cases give it a greater chance of the glass shattering

scorourke

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
yep! samething that happen with mine.. there is something going on! perhaps them smart cases give it a greater chance of the glass shattering

I agree - going in to the Apple Store, i had major apprehensions about getting it replaced - especially for FREE - because it was my fault that I let it drop... but the Apple Tech I spoke with on the phone earlier gave me the impression that Apple is dealing with many "glass issues" on the new iPad 2 and that my broken glass fell into the right category for free replacement. The Apple cover is cool, but it protects nothing..... and now I'm wondering if it actually assisted in cracking the glass....
For my replacement, I purchased the Zagg invisible shield and I'm also currently on the prowl for a good case..... as much as I didn't want to bulk up the iPad 2, I feel protection beats out aesthetics!!!!

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
warranty

if you paid with a credit card, does it offer you extended protection? I only use cards that offer extended warranties. I've collected from Amex a couple of times with no hassle.

Ashmarie73

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine just decided to take a nose dive off of the dock and cracked the top right hand corner :( I'm sooo sad!! I've been waiting for my local ZAGG retailer to get the stock of ipad covers!!

I'm super nervous about my appointment, so I made two appointments and the two local apple store.

Wish me luck. Will post what happens.

mperkel

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Purchase your iPad with an AMEX card. AMEX offers 90 dayas loss/damage protection, and extends AppleCare to 2 years automatically.

Dodgelf

May 11, 2010
Visit site
My ipad 2 dropped about a foot when the magnets released off the cover. The glass shattered. This was a 5 days after I purchased it for 829.00. Apple is charging me 461.00 to repair. I am very unhappy about this. It is very very fragile!

smiley44

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Glass Easy to Replace

I broke mine a couple of weeks ago, took it into the apple care center and they switched the glass out for me while I waited, took about 15 mins and they didn't charge me anything. My friend had the glass in his iPhone 4 replaced independently from Apple and it cost him $120 and they did it on th spot as well. Guess it depends on the service provider, but mine was done so fast it can't be a complicated process.

allout46

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
for those of you who purchased your device from best buy you have thirty days from the purchase to add on insurance which is about 100 bucks. Purchase than and then claim the broken ipad

scorourke

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to put a bookend on my story: I was called by the Apple Store last night to let me know my iPad 2 was ready - I brought my cracked one in and we did an even swap - the staff was, once again, courteous and friendly, and I am now using my new - new - iPad 2! For the time being I have my iPad 2 in the original Apple Case (that I bought last year for the iPad) - it doesn't fit properly but I am very paranoid about any harm coming to it! I now continue my quest for the 'perfect' iPad 2 case - does anyone here use one that they love? Please let me know!

scorourke

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
for those of you who purchased your device from best buy you have thirty days from the purchase to add on insurance which is about 100 bucks. Purchase than and then claim the broken ipad

I bought my iPad 2 at Best Buy - I did not take the insurance they offer and was told I had 14 days after my purchase to opt in - when the glass cracked I brought it to Best Buy and the (very unfriendly) clerk immediately asked if I bought the insurance - I told her that I did not, but was told I had 14 days to do so - she said it was too late because my iPad 2 was damaged - so i asked "what if I was to go to a different Best Buy and ask for the insurance?" and she said that since it's after the time I made my purchase they would have to physically see the iPad 2 to make sure there was no damage. Fortunately, Apple is making good on this kind of damage!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen