I think I might take my iPad 2 back...

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
am I crazy? My wife has an iPad 1 and after comparing the 2, I think I would be fine with the 1. I got caught up in all the hype. The 2 is definitely faster and runs apps better. But after travelling with mine all week, I realize its just an email and media device for me. I do not play games other than Angry Birds, will never use the cameras and do not think the 1 was too thick. With the prices you can snag an original for at Best Buy or online, I think saving the money right now is a better option for me.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey, if it didn't seem worth the extra money, I would too. All you have to make happy is you (and possibly your wife).

Tone1981

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I feel what u saying, I love my ipad2 but I also don't have a iPad 1 and having heard what u saying I would probably take my iPad 2 back and just use the iPad 1...

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Of course this is a choice that is up to you and while Im not sure exactly which iPad you bought I'll assume you got the 16GB. Taking it back may not save you the amount of money enough to make a difference. I'm not 110% sure but I think Best Buy charges restocking fees. So say for instance you bought the iPad 2 for $499 and would like to take it back to get the 1st for $399 a $100 difference. By the time you consider the restocking fee you may only be getting back anywhere from $50-$65 dollars. I think for a faster ipad and camera and video with the most up to dated verision ipad its worth it to keep. Again, I'm not sure which one you bought but if it was the 16GB then it may not be that much of a savings to you. Now, if you bought the 32 or 64 GB then of course it would be a huge savings for you. Again, it's your choice and you have to do what's best for you. I was just giving my opinion since you posted the question.

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Well I got the 32g 3G. I really do not need the 32g. I am only using 6.8g with everything I have loaded. I do rent movies but I always delete them afterwards. I do not store video at all. I am going to stick with 3G though. I like the convenience even though I have an IP4 with tethering paid for by my company. Also, I have found an open box at Best Buy so I am looking at around $300 in savings. Just too much to pass up. I love the iPad 2 but just not worth the extra dough. If I had of gotten the 16g 2 then I would have to think long and hard about it.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you answered you own question.

I picked up my iPad 2 on Friday and I already had an existing iPad 1. However, a buddy of mine told me he wanted to buy it. We had it all arranged. Well seems he forgot to pass that buy his wife, who vetoed it. Needless to say here I was sitting with both and needing the money for the iPad 1 to at least buffer some of the cost. So, I strongly considered just keeping the iPad 1 and taking the iPad 2 back.

Then I really started doing some comparisons between them and this iPad 2 it is just better all around for what I do. I do use mine for work, I edit documents, I use QuickOffice, Dropbox, send a lot of email, take notes, use the calendar. I have an iPhone 4 too, but everything is just so much more convenient with the iPad 2. The way apps open so quickly and I can just really push it where as the iPad 1, you just can't without noticeable lag and slow redrawing of the display.

I then said, well all that is nice, but I just can't eat the full cost here. So, I take a chance, place my iPad 1 on eBay. There are so many of these being sold on eBay. I did an auction with a buy now for the max I wanted. Placed the listing and 12 hours later as the luck of the draw would have it. Someone actually bought it at my buy now price of $599.00. I was thrilled and already have my money and just shipped them their iPad 1 today. The iPad 2 gets to stay! Oh yeah!

Just food for thought! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I guess it all boils down to different strokes for different folks. I'm dyin to get my hands on mine over here in Canada, it better not get pushed back like last year. I have been theming my current iPad and it is so customized to my taste I found new love for using it now. I've decided to keep it too, I figure when I get the iPad 2 I'll give the iPad to either my brother or my fianc?.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
yea after seeing the ipad 2 and what it does, i decided that my first gen is just fine for me. im sure the ipad 2 is awesome, but i didnt think that the ipad 1 was too thick, or too heavy. and the ipad 1 is fast enough for me. plus i have a dent in the corner so theres no way it would be worth selling on ebay lol

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess it all boils down to different strokes for different folks.

plus i have a dent in the corner so theres no way it would be worth selling on ebay lol

Indeed everyone has to evaluate their situation and tolerance level. I tend get spoiled fairly quickly. Knowing that I had that faster model and gave it up would eat at me. So, I had to do what I could to keep it and so I did. Not everyone as Jason points out has theirs iPad 1 in such mint condition as mine was after a year. Honestly when I took it out of the case and gave it a good wipe down. It looks brand new.

It is a lot of money to spend too and if you don't have need of the extra features and speed, then it is a no brainer as to what you should do and not everyone is anal and crazy like me. I am a speed demon! hehehe, I got to have my fix.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I'd sell it instead of returning it. Make a profit that way especially with iPad 2s going for crazy amounts right now due to the scarce stock.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Of course this is a choice that is up to you and while Im not sure exactly which iPad you bought I'll assume you got the 16GB. Taking it back may not save you the amount of money enough to make a difference. I'm not 110% sure but I think Best Buy charges restocking fees. So say for instance you bought the iPad 2 for $499 and would like to take it back to get the 1st for $399 a $100 difference. By the time you consider the restocking fee you may only be getting back anywhere from $50-$65 dollars. I think for a faster ipad and camera and video with the most up to dated verision ipad its worth it to keep. Again, I'm not sure which one you bought but if it was the 16GB then it may not be that much of a savings to you. Now, if you bought the 32 or 64 GB then of course it would be a huge savings for you. Again, it's your choice and you have to do what's best for you. I was just giving my opinion since you posted the question.

They don't charge

Reactions: touchyphone

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Well I have had a change of heart. It came from a surprising place, my wife. She convinced me that I should keep it. I made a good bonus and I can afford it. She knows me pretty well and thinks I will always regret taking it back. So, after listening to her as a voice of reason, I'm sticking with it. I still stand by my original comments but seeing as this is my first iPad, I might as well have the latest version.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I have had a change of heart. It came from a surprising place, my wife. She convinced me that I should keep it. I made a good bonus and I can afford it. She knows me pretty well and thinks I will always regret taking it back. So, after listening to her as a voice of reason, I'm sticking with it. I still stand by my original comments but seeing as this is my first iPad, I might as well have the latest version.

Congrats! It is easy to get caught up in the Apple hype. They are a hype machine! Nonetheless it is great that your own spouse ends up convincing you to keep the iPad 2. I think in the long run you'll be very happy! Now she doesn't have to share the iPad 1. hehehe, sneaky wife!

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Good deal! You'll be happy with it in the long run... congrats!

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't lynch me guys, but I have an iPad 1 and have since last september. I was fully ready to buy an iPad 2 and then give my wife the iPad 1 which she still doesn't realize she would love as a kitchen device.

Well, a few days ago, I went up to best buy to check out the new iPad. It felt "cheaper" to me for some reason. Like it wasn't made as sturdy as the previous model. "more disposable" is how it seemed to me.

Couple that with the fact that with 4.3, any lag I previously noticed while surfing intensive websites is gone, and you'll see why I decided to wait for the 3 to upgrade myself.

Don't shoot me but this was my experience, and I still love my iPad 1 which has basically replaced my laptop in 80% of my daily life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ballajb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
thats good that you are deciding to keep it. I also had the iPad one and I will be selling it. The iPad2 is much smaller and feels better in the hand. I like that iMovie is available on the iPad2 so now I will have to test out the editing capabilities. iMovie is not available on the iPad1. Take a look at my unboxing and a review of a app on the iPad2 YouTube - iPad 2 Unboxing and App Review

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods