Review your iPad 2!!

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My iPad 2 review:

There isn't much to say in a review that hasn't already been said. However, I will give it a shot. :D

Faster.

To start, the iPad 2 has had it's processor upgraded from a A4 to a A5. While the A4 was fast, let me tell you, the A5 makes it feel slow. Some report that they don't notice much of a difference, but from my usage, I can definitely notice a difference. One app I particuarly notice a difference in is Momento. Keep in mind, this app isn't for the iPad, it is designed to run on the iPhone. When I force the app to update my feeds (Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, YouTube, and Foursquare) it was done in one little blink. If i do the same task on my iPhone, connected to the same Wi-Fi network, at the same time, the iPhone still comes in second, by at least a minute. I wouldn't think this would be a processing issue, but I guess it is. Other apps I notice speed improvements is the iPad-only app We Rule. For those unfamiliar its a FarmVille like app specifically for the iPad. Running the same "kingdom" on the iPad 1 and iPad 2, the iPad 2 will always load my farm quicker, and my gifts if I have any.

Lighter.

While the iPad 2 isn't much lighter then the iPad 1 from a 'On paper' perspective, in real-world-use, it is much lighter. If you use iBooks, and you hold your iPad while reading, versus leaning it on/against something, you will notice the weight difference is quite significant while reading. I really appreciate this because I love iBooks. However, that isn't to say that the iPad is 'light', because it isn't. While it may be lighter then the first gen iPad, it still doesn't have the book like feeling the Kindle offers as far as weight. In all honesty though, I like the weight of the iPad 2. It makes me feel that it is secure, sturdy, and could take a hit (although I would never want to test this).

Cameras

While the cameras are rather disappointing, they serve their purpose: A fun, cool way to share goofy pictures, or to FaceTime with friends/loved ones/enemies. I never expected great cameras in the iPad, but how great would that be if they had used the cameras from the iPhone 4? Can you imagine FaceTime HD, iPhone 4 quality pictures and videos on the iPad? I can, and I really hope they make it a reality in iPad 3. Some people will laugh when I say this, but I think it would be awesome to use the iPad for video and photos. You can laugh, it's okay. But imagine being on a vacation and pulling out your iPad to take a picture of some scenery. You are a top a cliff, looking at other mountains in the distance. You pull out your iPad (with a iPhone 4 back camera lens or better...) and tap the camera app. It springs to life much quicker then the camera app on your iPhone. You gaze in awe as your eyes are met with the best camera view finder created. While it may be big to hold/use, you are amazed with how everything you want a picture of is so beautifully framed, thanks to your iPad. You click the shutter, and the picture zips to your camera roll. You navigate to the camera roll, and using your built-in 3G, you send the picture to the photo site, or person of your choice. Many of you who are still reading this may ask yourself "why not just use my iPhone?" and to that I say this: With the iPad's 9.7" screen as a view finder, and an array of photo-editing apps at that are made for the iPad's screen, processor, and memory why would you want to settle for less?

Hardware

Whenever a new Apple product is announced, I am always in awe at it's beauty. With the exception of the first iPad. While I loved my first iPad, i never fell in love with it's hardware. The home button felt too small, I couldn't stand that ugly metal strip that ran along all four sides of the black bezel, and considering the goal of the project, a lightweight computer, it felt heavy. With the iPad 2, all of my complaints have been addressed in terms of hardware. The home button feels bigger, more clicky. Gone are the thick ugly metal borders from the sides of the device. In addition to improved cosmetic appearance, Apple took care of my RAM complaints. I do not miss having to reload each, and every, page I had opened in Safari if it was more then 2. The weight of the iPad 2 feels just right, as does it's level of thickness. I really love how thin the iPad 2 is. It amazes me that so much can fit in so little a housing. With that said, I agree with Andy Ihnatko when he says "I hope they don't make it much thinner then this". I feel that Apple has found, and landed on, the sweet spot for the level of thickness for this device.

Software

When iOS 4 hit for the iPad, it made it useful, let's be honest. Before iOS 4, the iPad was little more then a big iPod Touch. With iOS 4, it truly became the mobile computer that Apple made it out to be. I never felt that my iPad was slow, but when I first laid hands on the iPad 2, I felt that my iPad had become old. While it isn't screaming past the original iPad, it is a significant speed boost. Particularly, in Safari. When I first used Safari on the iPad 2, I was amazed at how much faster it loaded sites like Gizmodo and Engadget compared to the first iPad. This of course, is impart to the RAM that has been added to the iPad 2, but I believe that a lot of software optimization has gone on under the hood. There aren't many software enhancements this time around, so I guess this part of the review ends here.

Final Thoughts

I can honestly say that if you have a iPad 1, and you are looking with the iPad 2 with jealous eyes, it is worth the upgrade. If you are completely satisfied with your first gen, hang on to it. The first iPad is still a great piece of hardware. It's fast, reliable, and durable. While it may not be the best looking, most of my performance complaints were addressed with software update.

NickFalk

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Really starting to look like a must-have now! Would of course also like to try my hand at developing something designed specifically for that large touch-screen. :)

katrina2475

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got my iPad 2 on Friday and I am absolutely in love. My phone is Android (HTC Incedible) so I was seriously considering the Motorola Xoom. I wanted full integration with my Google stuff and Flash. After having this thing 36 hours, I can't even believe I even considered anything else. The amount of apps that I am able to use as opposed to Android is what initially won me over but the more I use it, the more I realize that this interface just works for me. My husband is a no frills kinda guy who is perfectly happy with his freebie flip phone and even he is in love with the iPad. I've never used the original iPad but have seen my cousin's I use so I can't really compare it to that but this thing rocks. I am thinking at this point that when I am eligible for a new phone in a couple months it will be a iPhone.

xxraffyxx

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend went out the country on a Vacation, so I let her borrow my Xoom. I'm now strictly on my Ipad 2 So I'll post on here with a mini review after a week.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got my iPad 2 on Friday and I am absolutely in love. My phone is Android (HTC Incedible) so I was seriously considering the Motorola Xoom. I wanted full integration with my Google stuff and Flash. After having this thing 36 hours, I can't even believe I even considered anything else. The amount of apps that I am able to use as opposed to Android is what initially won me over but the more I use it, the more I realize that this interface just works for me. My husband is a no frills kinda guy who is perfectly happy with his freebie flip phone and even he is in love with the iPad. I've never used the original iPad but have seen my cousin's I use so I can't really compare it to that but this thing rocks. I am thinking at this point that when I am eligible for a new phone in a couple months it will be a iPhone.

Awesome, cool to hear that you are switching!

Jonesy27

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am completely and utterly delighted with this amazing bit of kit!
I loved my iPad 1 and didn't think the iPad 2 would be much better..
HOW WRONG was I.. Straight away before I'd even turned it on I knew it was better! Just the feel of it how thin and light... Then when I finally turned it on the speed as it goes between web pages and apps!
I can't praise the iPad 2 enough!! It's pure and utter class... In one word awesome :)

kingdavidfive

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Def can't complain got my iPad 2 white 16gb for 400$. Thank god I waited cause I almost got a first gen iPad and this guy was selling his iPad 2 16gb cause it had a small hairline crack on it I had ton jump on it because every where was selling out I called every radio shack in my area and. No one had it checked the websites for release dates. I am def not disappointed in the iPad might just replace my laptop

vince1979

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I got a Honeycomb Acer Iconia A500 about 4 months ago; I was debating of whether to get a honeycomb tablet or an Ipad 2 unfortunately I made the wrong decision and got the Honeycomb Iconia tablet but I find myself playing with the Ipad 2 demo units at the stores all the time...so deep down inside of me I really wanted an Ipad 2. Yesterday I took the plunge and got myself an Ipad 2; I have not been able to put it down, the interface is cleaner it's a lot smoother than honeycomb and the most important factor is all the amazing apps that I have been able to install and play with. Honeycomb is a good OS however the lack of apps gets really annoying after a while. I am very happy with my Ipad 2

iPadDemon

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,
I have just received my iPad 2 and i'm loving it!! :)
I can't believe how good the FaceTime feature is and love talking to my family and friends on it.
My Dad always reads the news on it and my brother loves making movies on the 720p camera.
I was lucky enough to get mine for free when I purchased a mobile phone contract at CompareYourMobile.com

n1smo

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Great reviews, I'm also in the honeymoon phase and absolutely loves this thing. The time spent on the Windows 7 laptop has been replaced by the iOS and it is so much more enjoyable! I have the 16GB wifi..

JakeInFla

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
iPad 2

What can I say? The Apple Ipad2 is on very impressive piece of modern technology and a wonderful addition to my tech\geek lifestyle. ;)
Pros: Ease of Use and just about everything else!
Ease of use: Having the iPhone 4, navigating the OS is pretty much a seamless transition. Options are easy to manipulate, icons are self explanatory, and it's easy to see how the iPad has won the tablet war, hands down!

Overview: After mulling over countless iPad 2 vs HD/Pro release speculation threads, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a 32GB 3G Black IPad2 with a Military spec Survivor case today. Loving everything about this thing and honestly anyone on the fence like I was should just go for it. You'll have zero regrets after she syncs up, trust me!

This is my first IPad so comparisons can't be made to the Gen 1 model, but overall I'm extremely impressed with the overall design and functionality. Having an iPhone 4 makes navigating it pretty much a seamless transition.
Gripes: Well, the price is a little high, but as they always say...you get what you pay for. Other than that I don't really have any complaints. I'm in love with this silly little device. It's an amazing achievement in technology!

Ipad 2 HD/Pro/3.0 Holdouts: Honestly I debated long and hard about buying the Ipad2 so far into its cycle, but honestly all those concerns faded away the moment I synched her up and started using her.

I can see how better cameras and a higher resolution screen would be welcomed improvements, but honestly it's well worth the purchase. There will ALWAYS be something new and updated rendering current technology obsolete. That's just the nature of the beast.

So enjoy the thing for what it is and happy Ipad hunting!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The screen is bad too! I hate the screen,I can see every pixel and the blank between pixels

You must have a different iPad 2 than I do, because I don't see any at all. The 9.7" screen is absolutely perfect. Obviously it's not going to be of HD quality, so anyone wanting that will need to look elsewhere.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I have had my iPad 2 for almost a month now, and am very happy with my purchase. The one thing I am a bit unhappy about is multitasking, I hope that in a future os update that it can be simpler to switch between apps instead of hitting the home button. (usually have to copy/paste things from safari to mail quite often etc. So a gesture would be awesome instead of find information, hit home, tap other app, input info or read from that app, hit home again, tap first app...)

Overall I am very, very pleased! It works wonderfully taking notes in class, and the battery life blows my old pc away. Not to mention it is much lighter than lugging around my notebook. I'm disappointed in the lack of textbooks available on the device, but that's still in the future I suppose!

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have had my iPad 2 for a little over 1 month and a half. I am really excited about my purchase. The kids are loving it a little more than me but that is good. I haven't had any issues with it, battery life is really good on it even when my kids are watching videos.

Really happy with it. If you can get one, do so!

thewolfsage

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Android fan (don't hurt me) who received an iPad 2 as a birthday gift this past June. After spending a few months with my new toy here are my impressions.

The good
-I love the iPad 2's design. It looks great, feels nice in your hands, and is just a well designed product.
-I have to admit that wail I still love Android I'm becoming more and more of an iOS fan by the day, largely because of the sheer number of great apps available. There are some really cool iPad apps out there, and it's been great discovering them.
-The iPad 2 takes some really nice looking 720p video.

The bad
-If I have one major complaint about iPad 2 it's that my iPad seems to have some issues with wifi. Every once in a while it will disconnect from my home wifi network for no apparent reason and I have to reenter my network password a bunch of times or restart my router to get it to reconnect. My 4th gen iPod touch has the same problem, actually. I took my first iPod to the Apple Store to get it replaced and my new iPod has the same issue, so I doubt that replacing my iPad will solve the issue. It's not an everyday occurrence, but considering that I have a wifi only iPad it's a big problem when it does happen.
-Video recording is great, but still photos are another matter. I really with Apple would have given the iPad 2 a better camera.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
First I was one of those iPad "haters" - what do you need a giant iPod for? I already had one of those. Then Verizon finally got the iPhone, and I fell in love just a little bit more.

While shopping for e-readers, I picked up an iPad for the first time to show my 6 year old. "Mommy, I can't find the games!" "It's a giant iPod, Ryan, you can figure it out." (By this point he had inherited my iPod Touch when I got my iPhone).

Then I was one of those "fencers" - I debated for a month, and through 2 e-readers on Best Buy's 14 day return policy, on whether my iPhone would be sufficient with an e-reader, or to just bite the bullet and go for it. I finally just did it (white 16gb wifi), and this thing blows my mind.

Besides my son having an absolute ball playing his favorite games on it, and my just loving the huge Words with Friends screen, the ways I've been able to use it at work are just amazing. I was a horrible note-taker - I had things scattered across multiple notebooks. I'm paperless now, and I love it. I can find any note I've taken in seconds.

I tether it to my phone and on the bus ride into work, I can catch up on emails from work, Words with Friends, surf for new apps to download when I get home, etc.

There's a ton of other uses for it. We recently started our son on a chore/reward chart. On the iPad. There really is an app for everything!

I don't think I can really convey how useless I thought this "giant iPod" was, and how I laughed at everyone I saw with one, thinking what a waste of their money it was. I saw a woman on the bus one morning start up her iPhone tethering and connect her iPad to it, and laugh at how ridiculous she looked, with her giant iPod. Now that's me. :eek:

I honestly don't know how I made it so long without one. It's easily one of the best electronic purchases I've made, if not the best. I still use my laptop regularly - Quicken, Flash, and let's face it, typing on a keyboard is a lot easier. (That, and I just bought my laptop a few months ago, and I still love it)

I know it's been said a million times, but I'll echo it - if you're on the fence, do it. You won't regret it!

Reactions: tuanlt