iPad 2 light leak

Does your iPad 2 have the light leak issue?

• Yes

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Light leak? What's a light leak?

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got my 3rd brand new replacement white 32gig WiFi iPad 2 today, the guy helping me was great, he went as far as the open the new iPad 2 and take it in the back and check to see if there was any light leak, came back out said it was fine, I got excited. I got home turned it on and sure enough, with out even being in a darkroom or turning the light off I could see the light leak in about 5 places.

Anyone have any ideas? I think Im going to call Apple today and tell them I just want my case left open until this issue gets resolved. Like someone said earlier, I payed too much for it not to work properly

how bad is the light leak? Is it real bad? enough that you keep seeing it? Maybe wait a couple of months to exchange it again if its not bad. Hopefully quality control will be better soon. It will improve with enough returns country and or world wide

chasemyprov1

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

I got my fourth iPad 2 today, I've had 3 white 32 gig WiFi and today I got a fourth, this time it's black though. Got it home and took a look, the least light leak of all of them but still a decent amount.

I'm going to giv this one a week or two and see if it gets any worse or not. The first one I had got worse since day 1. It's not a HUGE deal but I do a lot of reading a night in bed etc, and seeing the yellowish tint then and on any dark screen is just annoying to me. I guess I just want it to work properly.

Anyone buy the Apple Care for their new iPad 2?? I'm still thinking about it, especially with this whole experience.

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
how bad is the light leak? Is it real bad? enough that you keep seeing it? Maybe wait a couple of months to exchange it again if its not bad. Hopefully quality control will be better soon. It will improve with enough returns country and or world wide

I have to say, I'm kind of wondering the same thing. Are people going into a totally dark room with a full-black screen, and seeing a speck of light leak at the boarders... or is there some real problem here that affects actual use?

thommie343

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, I'm kind of wondering the same thing. Are people going into a totally dark room with a full-black screen, and seeing a speck of light leak at the boarders... or is there some real problem here that affects actual use?

I know on mine in spots the light leak comes out almost a full inch off the bezel in areas. It's also on each corner and is very noticeable.

Reactions: SteveW928

brendonlee

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Both of mine are very noticeable when watching movies.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Just an update, I had the like leakage in one area and after today has been two weeks and tonight I just looked again and I don't see it anymore.

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I know on mine in spots the light leak comes out almost a full inch off the bezel in areas. It's also on each corner and is very noticeable.

Ok... yea, then I'd probably call it an issue and get it replaced. I was just curious how extensive the 'leaks' really were. At least it sounds like it isn't all that common (crosses fingers... as I'm hoping to get on in the next couple weeks).

Rudolphe

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
4.3.1 and the Light Bleeding issue...

Has anyone that had the light bleeding issue with their iPad 2 upgraded to 4.3.1? If so did this 'fix' the issue? Apple wont support me unless I upgrade to 4.3.1 and I'm pretty confident this wont correct this issue... thanks.

Rudolphe

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That's what I tried to explain to her... I would've just returned it but of course there was no stock. Ever.
Hopefully this is something warranty can cover... Thanks.

terpdog

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with the bleed, but I also noticed that since my upgrade the iPad2 was running really slow. I just took it to the store and they are replacing my iPad2 with a new one. They let me keep the other one until the new one comes in. Probably a few days.

iPad(which doesn't have the latest and greatest) was running apps and browsing the web faster than iPad2 running 4.3.1 sitting right next to each other.

Rudolphe

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with the bleed, but I also noticed that since my upgrade the iPad2 was running really slow. I just took it to the store and they are replacing my iPad2 with a new one. They let me keep the other one until the new one comes in. Probably a few days.

iPad(which doesn't have the latest and greatest) was running apps and browsing the web faster than iPad2 running 4.3.1 sitting right next to each other.

Oh really they allowed you to do that? I should walk around to the apple store after work then...

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Darn - I have some on the left side. Don't really notice it unless I am using an older iPhone app (at 1X) but did not really bother me until I tried a movie trailer. I might take mine back too - but I am waiting for more inventory to roll in. That and the fact I have already put a iCarbons back on it that I will lose if I do.

Ramses21

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea I have some as well but it's not bad I can't notice it's only on the start up apple logo. But last night I placed my iPhone 4 on top of my iPad 2 and Iwhen I woke up there was a iPod nano? Hmmm..

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My suggestion for those of you who have this issue is sit tight and wait a bit. I know someone in Cupertino and Apple is well aware there is a issue and they are trying to figure things out. You best bet is to call Apple and tell them you'd like to open a case and sometime in the future when the issue has been 100% resolved to get a replacement. Be sure to get a case number. There really is not point in swapping out the device now since it's more than likely to have the same issue at this time.

Reactions: SteveW928

4Him

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had light leak mainly at the bottom of mine. Had it 5 days, sent to Apple for replacement, didn't get the replacement for 11 days and the light leak is 100% worse than the 1st one. I can see it on all four sides of the screen. I told a senior tech that I would be willing to wait a short period of time for them to get this resolved and they could send me a new one at that point. But the more I think about it, I didn't pay $600, to have to send it back, wait for a another one, get another bad one, send this one back and wait some more for hopefully a good unit. Chances are the longer I wait, they'd send me a refurb which is not what I paid for. Contacting them again today I think.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I had light leak mainly at the bottom of mine. Had it 5 days, sent to Apple for replacement, didn't get the replacement for 11 days and the light leak is 100% worse than the 1st one. I can see it on all four sides of the screen. I told a senior tech that I would be willing to wait a short period of time for them to get this resolved and they could send me a new one at that point. But the more I think about it, I didn't pay $600, to have to send it back, wait for a another one, get another bad one, send this one back and wait some more for hopefully a good unit. Chances are the longer I wait, they'd send me a refurb which is not what I paid for. Contacting them again today I think.

Like I said, get it put in your notes and make sure to open a case and ask them to include that in your case. They know there is a issue here and will make it right for those of you with the issue.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Mine has a minor light leak along the bottom. It's only really visible in dark rooms when the screen is completely black (at 50% brightness). As it's very minor and I don't notice it in day to day usage (and I have a year to get it fixed), I'm in no rush to replace my iPad with one that could be much, much worse.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73