Smart Cover attachment strength & wake/sleep

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Congrats to all you lucky people down in the US with new iPad2s! If any of you got it with the new smart cover, I'd love some feedback on it, especially around a couple points.

1) Do you think it stays attached well enough that if it were in a backpack or saddlebag, etc. that it would stay on and not fall off if it shifted around some?

2) (kind of dependent on #1) Is there a software setting to turn off the wake/sleep feature so that if the cover did shift on and off a bit, it wouldn't automatically wake/sleep?

3) If someone has a semi-accurate scale, I'm also curious how much it weighs.

Any other feedback is fine too. It looks like a really great idea... keeps everything to a nice small package... and has the built-in functionality of being a stand. But, if it only works moderately well, I'll probably just go for ordering a sleeve (I really like the ColcaSac ones!), but hate adding bulk if the Apple cover works well.

Thanks!

Bigchris

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
1. To me, I think it stays on very well. I think you should be fine placing it in a book bag or saddle bag. The cover offers good screen protection. Now, if you have some heavy books or things in your backpack or saddle bag pressing against the cover, it could cause it to slide and unlock it. That takes us to #2

2. There is software that is built in that you can set to have the cover not wake the iPad or unlock it.

3. Sorry I don't have a scale.

Other then that, it's a good investment, I got the leather one, so I'm sure the other ones are similar as well. Hope that helps...

Reactions: SteveW928

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
There is no threat of the smart cover shifting on the iPad, so no need to worry about that. Weight wise, it comes in at only a few ounces and adds no noticeable weight to the iPad.

Also, for xultar, I have two dogs and two cats so we don't lack pet hair in our house. I have had the smart cover for a day now and the inner lining has stayed as clean as it was when it was removed from the package. I've set iPad down on my lap, my coffee table, a kitchen counter and even the floor in my daughter's room and it hasn't picked up the slightest amount of lint, dirt or pet hair.

Reactions: SteveW928

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.... it really does look like it would work well from what I've seen. As much as I like some of the other accessories, I'm thinking that is what I'm going to go with, as I think I'd use the practical aspect of it as a stand as well, especially while traveling. I don't care all that much about protecting the rest of it, as I plan on really USING my iPad, not trying to keep it totally pristine. :)

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I may get some kind of back protector for it once the usual suspects start rolling them out. Other than that, I am very happy with the smart cover.

AppleFan

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Guys, what do you think of the leather smart cover? If i'm to get a practical cover, one that won't get dirty easily, which smart cover would you recommend the leather or the plastic one?

Bigchris

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Guys, what do you think of the leather smart cover? If i'm to get a practical cover, one that won't get dirty easily, which smart cover would you recommend the leather or the plastic one?

I got the black leather one because I thought it would last longer and provide a little more protection. So far so good, it's working great, no problems. It's pretty durable in my opinion.

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Weight?

I'm still kind of curious how much the thing weighs if someone has a somewhat accurate scale which can weigh things that light.

I also saw a video where when the iPad was tipped screen facing down, the cover just drops away. I was hoping it was attached a bit stronger than that! Can anyone comment on that? If so for everyone, is that a problem? I can imagine it would just flop on-off then while in a book bag, etc.

Jo-9

Mar 11, 2011
about.me
I think its worth it, however you are going to want something like an invisible shield to protect the back. Other than that its an awesome stand and screen protector! :)

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think its worth it, however you are going to want something like an invisible shield to protect the back. Other than that its an awesome stand and screen protector! :)

I'm not too worried about the back. I'm really looking at this like I do my laptop... it is a tool I'm going to use to it's fullest. My laptop bottom has some scratches, but I don't care all that much. I'm not going to try and damage it, but I'm not going to be overly protective either. About the only thing that would make me add a case to it for that kind of protection, would be if it makes it better to handle (something like a thin silicone case maybe).

I think I'm wavering between something like a sleeve (iPad Sleeve By ColcaSac) and stand (Compass Mobile Stand) or trying to get by with the Smart Cover. I'd rather go with just the smart cover, but I'm not sure it is going to ultimately be as functional as the stand... and then if so, I'd rather just do a sleeve. I really need to see one in person I think.

Last edited:

Jo-9

Mar 11, 2011
about.me
Cool! if you aren't worried about the back then the smart cover plus an incase or pouch of your choice should be fine!

I got an incase pouch from Best Buy and it does the job well!

Last edited:

cassady83

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
strength

As to the strength, in a demo I saw at the apple store, the guy let the iPad dangle while holding onto the smart cover. You can hold the iPad by the smart cover and let it dangle there and it stays attached. I'd say that's strong!

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
As to the strength, in a demo I saw at the apple store, the guy let the iPad dangle while holding onto the smart cover. You can hold the iPad by the smart cover and let it dangle there and it stays attached. I'd say that's strong!

I was meaning more how strongly it 'sticks' to the screen, than at the hinge point. In other words, when it is in the book-bag, is it going to be flapping open and shut while one walks or runs? That kind of thing.

That said, I don't think I'd try what that demo person was doing! :)

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Congrats to all you lucky people down in the US with new iPad2s! If any of you got it with the new smart cover, I'd love some feedback on it, especially around a couple points.

1) Do you think it stays attached well enough that if it were in a backpack or saddlebag, etc. that it would stay on and not fall off if it shifted around some?

2) (kind of dependent on #1) Is there a software setting to turn off the wake/sleep feature so that if the cover did shift on and off a bit, it wouldn't automatically wake/sleep?

3) If someone has a semi-accurate scale, I'm also curious how much it weighs.

Any other feedback is fine too. It looks like a really great idea... keeps everything to a nice small package... and has the built-in functionality of being a stand. But, if it only works moderately well, I'll probably just go for ordering a sleeve (I really like the ColcaSac ones!), but hate adding bulk if the Apple cover works well.

Thanks!

1. Nope, it's pretty secure :)
2. Not sure, would assume no.
3. Not sure, might say on apple.com

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Weight.... finally!!!

I finally found an answer over on MacRumors forums:
by HXGuy
"I just weighed it on my postal scale and it comes in at 4.8oz, so just over a 1/4 lb. The iPad itself weights 1lb 5.2oz, so you're looking at a 18% increase in weight with the cover on."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73