iPad data plan - prepaid vs. post paid

Jgittere

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am SOOOO confused. Trying to decide if I should get the wifi only or wifi + 3g. So then I wanted to see what would be cheaper, wifi only and tether to my iphone or 3g plan for iPad.

Just talked to AT&T and was told the $25 2GB plan was as post paid plan. You can use it until you use the 2GB and it doesn't have to be used in a month period/billing cycle. This sounds great until I ran across this. Which to me means you better use the 2GB in the month period/billing cycle or you lose it.

Answer Center | AT&T

Which says "Each DataConnect Pass has its own service expiration period which does not start until the Pass becomes effective. If you purchase an additional pass, the new DataConnect Pass does not become effective until you have reached the maximum usage limit on your current DataConnect Pass, or until the current DataConnect Pass expires (whichever comes first). "

Then on tipb.com I found this. AT&T vs. Verizon iPad 2: Which should you choose? | TiPb

"Prepaid
250 MB ? $14.99, $14.99/250MB overage charges
2 GB -$25, $25/2GB overage charges

Postpaid
250 MB ? $14.99, $14.99/250MB overage charges
2 GB ? $25, $10/1GB overage charges

The other difference, of course, is when you pay for the plans. In the prepaid options, you pay ahead time for the data and if you use it up before the month is over, you have an option to buy more. In the postpaid options, you will be billed for the data you used at the end of the month. So if you want to ensure that you never exceed your alloted data cap, stick with the prepaid options. On the other hand, if you want data regardless of overage charges, go with postpaid option; you?ll likely save money in the end."

Can someone, who is currently using the post paid data plan, please explain how it really works?

THANKS!

Jgittere

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
By the way, I have the unlimited data plan for my iPhone 4, so I am hesitant to move from that to the data/tethering plan for $45. Once I switch, I can't get my unlimited back.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't answer your question, but it's a suggestion that will be echoed here quite a bit.

I got the first gen iPad on Saturday and went with 3G just in case. Did the jailbreak last night and am using the trial for Mywi. After which, its a one time $20 fee to turn your iPhone into a wifi hot spot. Had I known how well it worked I would have just gone wifi on the iPad. It was really cheap though so I'll use this knowledge when I get iPad 3! ;)

Btw...I am also on unlimited and there's NO WAY I'm giving that up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the unlimited plan for my i4 and starting to loose appreciate in its value. I'm considering stepping down to the 2GB plan (I've maxed 1.2GB in month over a 24 months - average 0.7GB) and since I'm picking up a 3G iPad2, I'm gonna attach a 256MB plan to it mostly for gps/email/apps. Major browsing will done over wifi. Total data coost will be capped at $40 to ATT.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR