IPad 2 wi-fi with or without 3G

ssgoldbug

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Going to surprise wife with Ipad 2. Most of time will be able to use wi-fi. Aside from access to internet where no wi-fi, what will she be missing out on?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
GPS applications.

I have owned 2 iPad first gens. My first was a 3G and I loved the 3G built in. I ended up selling it and later on got a wifi only. I DEEPLY regretted not spending the extra and getting the 3G again. It is SO nice to have the 3G service when wifi isnt available. I can think of MANY MANY occations that I have my wifi only iPad and there was no wifi. It was so annoying.

And then I can think of having the 3G when there was no wifi available and it wasnt a problem. Started up the 3G service right from the device. Such a nice convenience.

aimetti

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
everyone has their own applications for use of the ipad but ill be teathering with my i4 + mywi ondemand. Ill just use my iphone for gps apps.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
if you use mywi and a wifi only iPad you can use the Maps to show navigation routes?

Depends -
As you know, 3G iPad uses A-GPS which uses a database of cell-tower locations to get a very rough fix, which makes finding the real satellite fix much faster.

Wifi only iPad uses skyhook, which triangulates from a database of known wifi base station locations. This is very accurate if you're in a densely populated city with lots of wifi base stations around. Accuracy is through pings to three base stations and depending on how it takes to get a response from each triangulates your position. Work well but DOA in less populated area.

Based on that, I wouldn't count on the mifi - bouncing from spot to spot for accuracy.

I wish you all well in HI....I'm hearing there's a chance of strong wave from the earthquake heading your way.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR