How important is the GPS on the 3g model...

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
to most on here.

I am finding I do not need 3G data as my company pays for the tethering plan on my iPhone 4. I get 4 gigs of data and never use half of it. That makes my decision hard. How often do any of you use the GPS feature and would you let it be the deciding factor for 3G over the Wifi model?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you get the wifi version, and change your mind about GPS - go to amazon.com and search for "BadElf". It's a little GPS dongle that plugs into the charging port and gives a wifi ipad, or even an ipod touch full blown GPS capabilities.

*disclaimer: I'm a satisfied user of the BadElf. Nothing else. :)

Dabomb665m

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This is also one of my main questions. I will most likely never use the actual 3G function of the iPad 3G because wifi is literally everywhere and my jailbroken iPhone can tether. But the fact that gps is only available on the 3G really makes it hard for me to decide. I know location based apps are actually quite sparse for the iPad right now, which is why I'm inclined to get the wifi this generation and perhaps get the iPad that debuts with 4g/lte technology.

Laughing Man

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem. I then thought about it. Where and when would I use the iPad. The majority of situations I found that I would really just use whatever smartphone I'm carrying simply because it's more portable and I'm more likely to carry it with me than an iPad.

But it may differ for your situation. But just try to figure out what you would do most of the time. And given that, would GPS really be used if you have another option (a smartphone).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods