iOS for iPad wishlist

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
As a disclaimer, i love my ipad, and am using it all the time that im not working or asleep. Its replaced all other technology because of its ui, apps, and form factor, except when i need to do something the ipad cant do that another device of mine can, which is a rare occassion. However, my ios wishlist and pet peeves have Been growing, so i thought id start jotting them down before i forget them. This is what ive come up with so far:

Wishlist for ios on ipad

In the app store, ability to sort all apps, and app searches, buy rating.
4.3 beta gestures, + screen rotation multi touch gestures.
Advanced settings abilities:
Ability to turn advanced gestures off per app in settings.
Ability to set volume per app in settings.
Ability to turn off video auto play per app in settings (youtube!).
Better facebook in browser: videos, and one touch navigation, instead of two taps because of facebook being weird on the ipad.
Better google instant search. When going back in your browser to an instant search page, it goes to your first search. It should go to your last.
Paste button at top of keyboard, allways. (next to "next" button) if not more edit buttons.
Ability to enlargen text fields and scroll through text fields as you would a web page.
An advanced option in settings for thumb typing; keyboard = auto orientation to portrait.
Multitasking wile watching a video: go to a new app, whatever u want to do. Then, open your fast app switcher. Tap and hold icon containing your paused video, and drag it into your open app. A facetime like small box will be placed ontop of your app, containing the video.
Ability to have spell checker on wile autocorrect is off.
Ability to load any media or text file from the device to any site from within the browser when prompted to "browse" for a file. Maybe when you click that, you are taken to a mock up and simplified launcher, only containing apps that gives you access to your personal files. You open one, and choose a file as you would to view a picture or hear a song. Press ok and you are taken back to the browser where the file is uploading.
When opening a link in a new page, ability to tap a different page to go to another one you all ready have loaded wile the new page is loading. If you tap before the new page automatically takes full screen, your tapped page will take full screen.
Option to have the date displayed along with everything else, or replacing something, in the top bar.
A faster way to close an app from your fast app switcher, maybe pinching the icon in.
Ability to tap and hold text in a text field to select even if your curser is not all ready in that text field. as of now, there are too many taps for this.
Autocorrect dictionary editing.
Advanced setting to turn on tap to navigate individual characters in a text field, as opposed to the beginning of or the end of a word.
+ Edit: ability to use any mobile webpage you want instead of only having the option to download the app. Im thinking about google image search.
+ Edit: i like that the browser recognizes permalinks and skips down to where in the page it needs to go, like comments. But then i start scrolling, and as its still loading the rest of the ads and bs in the page, it keeps going back to the permalink even though im trying to scan more above or below it. It should only take you to the permalink once, and that would be perfect!
+ Edit: no password required to download free apps.

Ill add more if i think of any.

This list is focused around functionality and ease of use. Dont call me lazy, because the functions that are one too many taps away are important when your doing these things all the time, and you can save time and effort making it simple. So the list isnt about hardware or altering the stock grid of icons home ui so much. So along those lines, if you have more productive suggestions, feel free to add them.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
There are a couple of things I'd love to see but a couple of the major ones that I wish they would implement is

Ability to re-arrange webpages in Safari when in the multi-page view: It would be like when you have multiple tabs you can re-order them to have two side by side to do with the same topic. They should make the webpages movable so I simple click on the page and move it just like when I'm moving apps on the homescreen. This ties in even better to my next wish.

Swiping left and right to move between open webpages: I've always wanted this, long before they brought out multi gestures. This would be great especially if you've put all the relevant webpages in order. So instead of a two step process to get to the next page/tab you swipe right and to move back you swipe left.

Ability to save files: The ability to tap and hold to save files from webpages just like you can images. Then once you connect to iTunes it pulls in the files and saves it to a location you designate. This would make so much more use out of the storage that you have.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
: It would be like when you have multiple tabs you can re-order them to have two side by side to do with the same topic.
I can imagine pinching out two pages at the same time for split view, or for one hand, putting them next to each other, then holdung a finger on both to expand both to either half of the screen. I havnt had too much need for this, but at least there r a couple browsers in the store like this, thouh i know safari needs some of their functionalities.
Swiping left and right to move between open webpages: I've always wanted this, long before they brought out multi gestures. This would be great especially if you've put all the relevant webpages in order. So instead of a two step process to get to the next page/tab you swipe right and to move back you swipe left.
I like how webos implaments this, with each page being a different instance of the browser app, so you can advance gesture through all your open apps. Now if we're ever getting those beta advanced gestures, id imagine that ios would need to do a similar thing? I like these ideas tho!