Got iPad 16GB Wifi+3g as gift, should exchange for 32gb Wifi?

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
My wife's company gave her a brand new iPad 16 GB wifi+3g version. We were told, if we want, we can take it to the Apple store to exchange or upgrade if we want. Is it worth keeping the Wifi+3G version or exchange it for a WIFI only 32GB version or even upgraded to 32 GB Wifi+3g version. We were not going to get an iPad because it was expensive, but since we got it as a present we are deciding if we need the 3G version or not. I don't have an iPhone, I have a HTC EVO for Sprint, no tethering though. We have WIFI at our house, but we are unsure where we are actually going to use this unit. We don't go to a lot of places that have WIFI, except our house. I don't want to be short sighted, knowing that you don't have to sign a contract for 3G and can cancel or start anytime, and just pay for that month. Start up again anytime. I am not sure I can convince my wife to pay the extra 100 to get the 32GB wifi+3G, but I could, for the same money exchange the 16GB Wifi+3g for the 32GB version with just WIFI.

O.K.

I am looking for the positives and negatives of keeping or exchanging.

Any help would be appreciated.

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have an opinion? Any help would be appreciated. I can't open the iPad until we decide if we are going to keep it or exchange it.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, for one how much do you plan on putting on it? I for one was content with the 16GB version and am always near WiFi so that is what I went with. In your case it sounds like you would certainly benefit from a 3G model. I guess from there the biggest question is storage size.

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The problem is my wife is not sure what she wants to put on it. She never had this type of device. She is asking me if she could do some of her work on it and use it sometimes instead of her bulky laptop. She uses Word, excel documents a lot. I am not that up to date on what can be done with an iPad, yet. I am now thinking it is a good idea to have the 3g, just in case, for the future, but maybe pay the $100 to upgrade to the 32 GB one with both Wifi+3g. Is it worth upgrading for more memory even if you don't know now if you will ever fill 16 GB. I have to guess right now, and I really don't know. That is why I am asking for some advice.

Airwolf

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd keep the 3G version because of the built in GPS. Then again, I'm a pilot and would find it useful. I guess it all depends on what you'd do with it. I stream all of my media (music, movies, TV shows etc) from my computer at home, regardless if I'm on my home Wifi, 3rd party Wifi, or tethering to my phone, so I find the capacity of my iPad 16GB superfluous.

Last edited:

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Well we went to the Apple store and traded up from the 16GB Wifi+3G to the 32GB Wifi+3G. It was only 100 out of my own pocket, and I thought having the 3G, even if I don't use it right away, could be good to have down the road. Even though it is my wife's iPad, I should be able to use it a lot.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's how I would look at it.

1. How much is AT&T going to charge you for data?
2. How much is Sprint going to charge you to add tethering?

My best assumption is that it is cheaper to go with the tethering on sprint, than a separate data plan on AT&T. Plus Sprint's network (if you're lucky enough) could very well be a 4G area.

So in summary, I would go with the wi-fi only. I currently use the 32 GB wi-fi only, and have no complaints. I use an Android phone as well to tether it away from home. Though, realistically, the times I've needed an internet connection on my iPad away from home, could probibably be counted on one hand.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well we went to the Apple store and traded up from the 16GB Wifi+3G to the 32GB Wifi+3G. It was only 100 out of my own pocket, and I thought having the 3G, even if I don't use it right away, could be good to have down the road. Even though it is my wife's iPad, I should be able to use it a lot.

I think you'll be happy with that decision. Plus I can almost guarantee you that if you decided to sell it you'll get your money back out of it! You can't beat a 32GB 3G iPad for $100!:D

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I would say get the 32GB model, I had the 64GB and never ran out of space, but didn't fill it up either and I carry a lot of media and apps. So I would say 32GB is a better capacity for a more well rounded use device. Music, apps, movies, photo's etc. Nice gift btw.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site

Good decision. That's the model I have. When I don't think I'll be traveling, I cancel the data plan. And I don't have all that much on it but I only have 10GB left.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site

Good move.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro