Is the iPad a good holiday gift for the family?

blueyxd

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
So I've been torn on whether or not I should bite the bullet and purchase an iPad for the use of my parents and 2 siblings (one's in 8th grade and the other is a high school junior). My siblings both have 3G iPod Touches but I was considering getting the iPad to function as more of a family-centric device. A device that my parents can use to check their emails, find fellow fbook friends, watch clips of dancing with the stars, etc. Not to mention there are a lot of awesome games in the app store that can definitely bring the family together for a fun game night... monopoly HD anyone? So what do you all think? Should I just go the easy route and get the whole family an iPad for the holidays? Or just end up getting them their own respective gifts. (Yikes I'm nowhere near done holiday shopping!) Thanks in advance for all your thoughtful responses!

robertpetry

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
The only challenge with this plan is that the iPad does not support different user accounts. So everyone uses the same apps.

Example: in mail all accounts from everybody would be added and then readable by everybody. Games would not distinguish between users so acheivments and levels would be shared.

Might not be an issue for you but it might.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
It depends on which "holiday" you want to get it for.

It does make a great Christmas gift but not so much for St. Patricks day or Labor day.

Gadgetholik

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are willing to wait a little bit then i would truly suggest you wait for apple ipad2's launch which will be anytime in Q1 of 2011.It'll be a much better gift for your whole family as it will pack in a front and rear camera and a retina display for a sharp and crisp viewing experience on the apple ipad according to rumours.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
My sister works for an Apple Authorized Reseller and they are selling more iPads than iPods. Buyers are having them engraved for Xmas Gifts.

Ugh, engraving, just wha apple loves, kills the resale value too....engraving single worst thing to happen to iDevices....ugh, tell your sis to tell them to stop!

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
If you are willing to wait a little bit then i would truly suggest you wait for apple ipad2's launch which will be anytime in Q1 of 2011.It'll be a much better gift for your whole family as it will pack in a front and rear camera and a retina display for a sharp and crisp viewing experience on the apple ipad according to rumours.

And you know it will have a retina display because??? You do realize that cost right? You do realize it's not even a retina display on the iP4 or touch right??? You're all sorts of fail....

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it much of a fam gift. It's a great individual gift.

I say that because we started out with one iPad for two of us. We get along wonderfully & never had a dispute, but when one is using it, then the other isn't. So we ended up with one each & now we're both iPad'ing away.

This is almost like saying if a warm overcoat is a good family gift. It's a great gift, but only one for one.

Gadgetholik

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

And you know it will have a retina display because??? You do realize that cost right? You do realize it's not even a retina display on the iP4 or touch right??? You're all sorts of fail....

Please read my post carefully and then comment.I wrote that a retina display might come in the ipad2 according to rumours and it's worth the wait,i'm not making any sort of claim that it will come for sure.The starter of this thread wanted a family gift and i just gave a suggestion that if he is ready to buy the ipad he should definitely wait for the ipad2's launch before spending his money.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2