Mute vs Orientation which side are you on?

Should the button on the iPad be mute or o-lock?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Ok so I've heard about this issue over and over. The iPad's switch that was previously orientation lock is now the mute switch thank god. However there seems to be a few people saying they rather have it as an orientation lock. The problem is their reason for this is I rather have it lock my orientation because it's so easy to mute the iPad by holding the volume button down. Well I find that a very egocentric statement because you're assuming that your choice is the choice. So let's have a friendly poll to see what is the actual winning choice? So which do you rather that switch be? Mute button or orientation lock?

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that at first I would have been on team orientation lock switch, but after listening to the last tipb podcast, I have to agree, as a student, I keep going from place to place where sound would be nicer and sound needs to be off, and the mute toggle does come in handy cause I can garuntee myself that it is in fact muted while it's sitting in my bag, by simply reaching down and feeling that the mute switch is flipped over.

alpha752

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer the orientation lock. Its so easy to mute with the down volume button. Plus, the hardware mute switch doesnt work on everything, until apps are updated it just works for apple sounds. You cant mute Pandora with it etc.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer the orientation lock. Its so easy to mute with the down volume button. Plus, the hardware mute switch doesnt work on everything, until apps are updated it just works for apple sounds. You cant mute Pandora with it etc.

Oh yeah you do have a point... I think given the option I would probably turn it back to orientation lock... Although it's not too big of a deal, since imp getting really used to it the way it is now.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think before 4.2.1. I would have gone either way though still rather the Mute switch. The problem is on my iPhone I got used to iOS double tapping for the app switcher, using multi-tasking and orientation lock. So I would get back on the iPad and tried to do those things and oh yeah it didn't have iOS 4. So now that it does I find it so much easier to consistently do the same things on each device. Sure the mute switch doesn't do all sounds now but apps will update. When iPhone 4 came out many apps didn't update to take advantage of save state, retina display, etc. But it was there for them to implement.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There really needs to be a choice. I mean if your in a public place like a class room you shouldn't have the ipad blasting out sound in the first place. Use headphones. Not everyone wants to hear your music.

alpha752

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I think before 4.2.1. I would have gone either way though still rather the Mute switch. The problem is on my iPhone I got used to iOS double tapping for the app switcher, using multi-tasking and orientation lock. So I would get back on the iPad and tried to do those things and oh yeah it didn't have iOS 4. So now that it does I find it so much easier to consistently do the same things on each device. Sure the mute switch doesn't do all sounds now but apps will update. When iPhone 4 came out many apps didn't update to take advantage of save state, retina display, etc. But it was there for them to implement.

Thats a good point. I think that iPhone users would probably prefer the mute switch as thats whats on their phone. I dont use an iPhone (Verizon), so I dont have that behavior ingrained. Hopefully next year we get the iPhone, and I can run both... at that point I could see wanting them to be the same.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
When I updated to GM 4.2 I didn't like the new way for locking orientation. I find it harder and not convenient at all to double tap the home button and slide to the left. Switching the toggle on the right side is awesome. I will jailbreak my iPad again when the untethering one is released and install the tweak to get orientation back the way it was originally.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah there's w tweak for that isn't there? I think I'm gonna try that out! I assume I'll find it in the article about it on the site here

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
IMO, the switch should be software / setup selectable as to either function. Or gosh, add another toggle button, Apple.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Thats a good point. I think that iPhone users would probably prefer the mute switch as thats whats on their phone. I dont use an iPhone (Verizon), so I dont have that behavior ingrained. Hopefully next year we get the iPhone, and I can run both... at that point I could see wanting them to be the same.

I didn't even think about it from that point of view. I sort of assume that anyone with an iPad has an iPhone LOL but I think personally I feel because it's beside the volume rocker it's just expected to be a mute switch? Yeah there should be an option I don't think it's that hard to just have a toggle orientation lock <>Mute but we all know Apple and that aint gonna happen.

PS
I am glad to see Mute is catching up LOL

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't really care, but I voted orientation cause that changing when I didn't ask it to p*sses me off more than volume. Wouldn't be so bad if we had gesture orientation control wile locked, like one or two finger circle, or two finger swipe in direction u want your display to be in.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Not a big deal either way. However, since I have both an iPhone and an iPad, I want it the same on both devices.

jeff1974w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got my iPad dec 3rd and installed the latest os before playing with it.

Not using it befor the update, I can say it's pretty stupid that the switch doesn't lock rotation.

I'm sure apple has a good reason for doing it.

Otherwise I'm really happy with my iPad :)

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This isn't really an issue for me. There wasn't a single time I actually used that switch. Even with it being a mute switch now, I still use the Volume Rocker.

bluebomberx

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Mute switch. If you need pandora to be silent, it has a pause button for that. Apps that I want sound from, such as iPod, pandora, or slacker, I want that sound regardless of the mute switch settting. However, i don't want my email notification going off all the time at work.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mute switch. If you need pandora to be silent, it has a pause button for that. Apps that I want sound from, such as iPod, pandora, or slacker, I want that sound regardless of the mute switch settting. However, i don't want my email notification going off all the time at work.

Thats why you use headphones.

wiggy1

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am in the camp that likes orientation lock. I move my iPad around and like haling the hardware flick of a button. I also mish the button was software configurable like my Tablet PC buttons.

mtnmedic

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I think it really needs to be made user-definable/selectable. I, for one, prefer the hardware switch for orientation lock. Mute is simple! Just press the volume-down rocker for more than a second or so and.....VOILA!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2