Laptop owners: Has the iPad made you think about going back to a desktop?

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
In a way, it has for me. I use my iPad more then my laptop when it comes to being mobile. I even thought of my next computer purchase being a desktop for the sake of better performance and just use my iPad when I want to be on the go web brosweing.

techie1961

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't use a desktop anymore but I am more and more dissapointed in my iPad. I find that I often have to get out my notebook to look at web pages that the iPad can't see because it doesn't support Flash. Really annoying!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not at all... I have been using a laptop of one flavor or another since 1996. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and both my Windows laptops (in the past) and my current MacBook Pro serve me well. No desire to go back to a fixed, heavy, non-portable desktop for any reason. In fact, the iPad has simply reinforced my feeling that "mobile computing" is the way to go...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm frequently surprised that desktops are still manufactured and sold. They don't offer any more than a laptop these days unless you are the kind of person who prefers a custom build. I have more (everything) on my laptop with a dock at home than I have on my desktop at work.

lorin.bute

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I use the desktop only for games. Unfortunately you can't beat the performance of a desktop computer when it comes to state of the art video games.

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree with lorin. All my games are in my desktop though I have a few like Modern Warfare in my HP DV5 ( gaming laptop), it is smoother playing it on desktop.

ziffos

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
In a way, it has for me. I use my iPad more then my laptop when it comes to being mobile. I even thought of my next computer purchase being a desktop for the sake of better performance and just use my iPad when I want to be on the go web brosweing.

I have done exactly that,

I now have a desktop for performance and an iPad just for web browsing and checking mail etc.:eek:

I find the lack of flash on the iPad has become very annoying!! :(

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I sold my Macbook Pro and now only use the iPad & iP4 for mobile computing. I have a nice 27" iMac at home so when I feel like sitting at the desk it is waiting for me.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It's funny to see this thread because I was thinking this same thing not 2 days ago, even stopped shopping for a laptop to find a good desktop. The iPad has been an official laptop killer for me. It's all in how you use a laptop that makes that decision but everything, business or personal, that I want to do on the go is easily handled by my iPad. Great post and I totally agree!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Desktops will always be around because the laptop uses miniaturized versions of full size components. This is why desktops are always more powerful than laptops of the same era. I also use my desktop as a server and gaming rig, laptop for work and i4 and iPad for basic browsing, email, gaming etc.

AppsforiPads

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used my PC in ages! I dock my laptop with a wireless keyboard and mouse when at my desk and I am good to go... And when I really am going I rarely pack that up anymore, I just take my iPad. I am not a gamer so I don't foresee a new PC anytime soon.

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I sold my Macbook Pro and now only use the iPad & iP4 for mobile computing. I have a nice 27" iMac at home so when I feel like sitting at the desk it is waiting for me.

That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing. My iPad is all I need for mobile computing.

itrix

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think that I could really replace my laptop with an iPad for now. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPad but after using my friend's for a week I felt it was lacking a lot of features that I generally use on the daily basis. I think I was having a laptop withdrawal. I will just have to wait for the iPod 2G to come out and hoping that it will be lighter in weight, with larger hard drive capacity, and a littler smaller in size so that its easier to hold on to.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
With me, I dont see the ipad as a computer replacement. I see it as like an internet hub. Sure theres no flash, but whast do I need it for? Youtube? You the Youtube app. Viemo? They are in hTML 5 now. Games? Hello! the app store! I dont visit that much flash based sites anyway.

Nebulosity

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I still use my desktop just as much as ever since getting my iPad 2 months ago. However it has totally killed my need / desire to use my Macbook. I really used my it for mobile web browsing and checking email, essentially nothing that I cannot do with my iPad.

Rudolphe

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I officially took my laptop out of my bag this week, took me a while but the ipad officially retried it. I use my desktop for work related stuff and things I can just do faster on the pc... Other than that, it's ipad all day. I really could use a smaller bag now, no sense in carrying around a bag made for a 17" laptop with a 10" iPad in it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
When I logon to Logmein I see 2 XP PCs, an Windows 7, and my newest, my MacBook Air. So I can legitimately ask, what is a desktop?

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
I still use my desktop just as much as ever since getting my iPad 2 months ago. However it has totally killed my need / desire to use my Macbook. I really used my it for mobile web browsing and checking email, essentially nothing that I cannot do with my iPad.

Same here. I use my iMac regularly. To me it is a must for photo editing and I just love that big screen. Otherwise I take my iPad to work to use during breaks, and at home when it is recliner/tv time it is my lap ready to go. My Macbook is tucked away in a travel case to use as a backup only.