iPad Live No. 26

paulpenny#IM

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Seems like no-one is commenting on the podcasts lately.

I wanted to comment on the Verizon/Apple iPad deal.

Chad was pretty dismissive of using a MiFi with an iPad. I thought he gave a very one sided and superficial analysis. My experience differs and I wanted to put the case for using a MiFi.

We have two iPad's in our house (in the UK) and most of the time we connect using WiFi. We don't normally carry them around when we are out and about although my wife does use it on her train journey to work sometimes. However, both my wife and I travel for work from time to time and we make very good use of our MiFi. Typically, it gets used in hotels and other overnight venues where WiFi is either not available or at a big extra cost. The battery life is fairly decent, but normally it is possible to have it plugged in to the mains which means it isn't an issue and improves the range.

The other big advantage is that we can share the data allowance rather than each have to have a 3G plan. From what was being said, MiFi's are being sold at a much higher cost in the US than they are over here. Mine is on the 3 network and cost ?50, which included an introductory 1gb of data. Top ups range from ?10 for 1gb to ?20 for 7gb. Although it's pay as you go the allowance only lasts for a month. Of course, you only need to top up if you are going to be travelling.

My advice would be to look at a MiFi solution unless you are on the move a lot, where the convenience of having it built in might be worth the extra costs.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Clear would be a great deal if they covered anywhere I go...but their coverage doesn't cover where I live or those places I travel. Oh well.