Stand alone ipad

Studio15

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could backup without the need for a computer, why can't apple release a large external disk and an app so we backup and restore to that. Then we could be stand alone on iPad

It would be great for my mother, she is over 70 and has never used a pc or Mac, iPad is the perfect tool for her to communicate with family around the country, and have access to the web for the first time, if only she didn't need to have to own and master another main computer as well.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you set it up for her? Perhaps once a week or once every two weeks you help her with it. You'll be a great son/daughter if you did that for her.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I wish I could backup without the need for a computer, why can't apple release a large external disk and an app so we backup and restore to that. Then we could be stand alone on iPad

It would be great for my mother, she is over 70 and has never used a pc or Mac, iPad is the perfect tool for her to communicate with family around the country, and have access to the web for the first time, if only she didn't need to have to own and master another main computer as well.

It would be a better device for many of us if it didn't require a computer and could be "its own man."

katiiegm

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
My question is - what would your mother need to back-up/sync onto a computer. I have had an iPad for three months now and I can't remember when I last connected it to my laptop. It gets my emails and contacts and calendar information just fine over the air through exchange and gmail. I sync important documents I want to use when traveling though Drop Box or Logmein.

If as you describe your mother just wants to stay in touch with family, I really dont see why the laptop connection wold be important. Maybe for the initial setup but after that I think it could stand on its own with maybe a periodic refresh when you visit.

A I missing something by not backing up frequently?

Studio15

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
thanks for all your comments. I agree an online email account would do away without the need for that backup. The main thing i wanted backups of were things like photos and things she would create in ipad apps, documents lists etc..

thanks for the dropbox suggestion I'll look at that

cheers guys :)

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Your 70+ year old mom has an iPad, how cool is that! My mom is only approaching her 60's and teaching her Facebook is such an ordeal but this is one the moments with her I treasure the most.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2