iPad WiFi Owners- Do you regret not getting the 3g?

Trodecke

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Uuuuh, then be disappointed no more! because it does have a GPS chip?

I didn't think the WiFi version had a GPS chip. I thought it used AGPS (assisted GPS) which gets location information from your WiFi connection somehow. I know I tried to pull Google Maps once when I was on the road and my iPad said it needed a data connection to work.

paulpenny#IM

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I got the wifi model and a MiFi on the 3 network here in the UK.

Cost of the MiFi was ?45 and it is much more versatile. No contract needed for data. Just pay as you go. Mostly I have wifi available at home and in the office but if I'm away then the MiFi just gives me my wifi connection.

It means apps like the BBC iPlayer, which only work over wifi, can be accessed as the iPad doesn't see the 3G part of the chain.

It also allows the data to be shared. Sometimes I need it and other times my wife does. Otherwise we'd have needed two 3G iPads and two data subscriptions.

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
Not in the least. The iphone is my "mobile" device and when I am "mobile" my iPhone takes center stage. As of now I am Jailbroken so if I do need to connect my WiFi iPad on the go, I use MyWi.

pgapro

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Not at all

I bought the iPad 16g model when it came out and could not be happier! I use it around the home and on vacations! Most places have Wi-Fi if I need it. My Iphone is my overall main device!:)

Paul

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
GPS Chip.

3G I could maybe do without, but the fact that the WiFi-only model doesn't have a GPS chip is disappointing.

Yeah, $130 for a GPS chip & 3G is crazy, but I'd definitely get the 3G version. Just In Case I need/want access to information. Plus I bought the TomTom app for $40 a while back when it went on sale. So it would only make sense to me to get the 3G version.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought the wifi only and regretted it almost immediately. Unless I was at home with wifi, it was almost useless. I'd think, "I'll use my iPad for that...oops, no connection". I'd have to find a McDonald's, Starbucks, or a Barnes & Noble to use wifi, and I found it too limiting. After two weeks, I returned it and bought the 3G. I use it just about everywhere. I went to Chicago recently, and I was looking forward to using the hotel's wifi (I thought that it would be free), but it was expensive. If you've got free wifi everywhere, or if you have a portable wifi hotspot like a Mifi or a jailbroken iphone, then good for you.

I think that the question is more of, "do you have an internet connection on the wifi only model everywhere that you need or want, or not?" I don't. I'd love to not have had to pay the extra money, but until wifi becomes more available for me, 3G is better for me.

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
@gern - exactly. I don't have wifi everywhere. We go out of town every two weeks to my father's house and it's like out in the wild.

One time, we had to go to this nice beach resort and there was no wifi. It was completely useless for me but not for my partner who loves to play games.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Yup. When I had just the wifi model, I tried using a shared internet connection from a phone and it wasn't fast enough or reliable enough.

I hate the crap AT&T pulled but unlimited, everywhere is beautiful - especially when traveling. Hotel wifi may be spotty, expensive, or congested. Family wifi tends to be nonexistent or unmaintained.

This is freedom.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I use MyWi with my iPhone and I find that the connection is super fast when I have a strong 3G signal (which I do pretty much everywhere around here). No complaints from me on that. Now I don't know how well the AT&T tethering works nor do I want to pay 20-30 a month for it.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I use MyWi with my iPhone and I find that the connection is super fast when I have a strong 3G signal (which I do pretty much everywhere around here). No complaints from me on that. Now I don't know how well the AT&T tethering works nor do I want to pay 20-30 a month for it.
Surprising. I thought MyWi used ad-hoc networks for internet sharing, which keeps (most?) mobile devices from connecting to it. I know my Palm Pre can't connect to MyWi from an iPad.

sbrianw

Jun 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm so stupid. I was so excited about the iPad coming out this year, and had pre-ordered the 3G model. Then I couldn't wait when the WiFi version was released first and all my friends had one but me. So I cancelled the order with Apple and got the WiFi model instead.

UN-happy.

WiFi isn't everywhere. Hotel WiFi is crazy expensive or just sucks. About 2 weeks ago, a friend asked me what iPad to buy, so I said, "why not buy mine?"

Just got a 64G WiFi+3G iPad and all is right with the world now.

paulrkiii

Sep 29, 2009
www.facebook.com
I just bought a 16 gig wifi only version...I'll tether through my jailbroken iphone 4 so no worries...don't want to pay for apples 3g service for my ipad as well as my iphone...

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm so stupid. I was so excited about the iPad coming out this year, and had pre-ordered the 3G model. Then I couldn't wait when the WiFi version was released first and all my friends had one but me. So I cancelled the order with Apple and got the WiFi model instead.

UN-happy.

WiFi isn't everywhere. Hotel WiFi is crazy expensive or just sucks. About 2 weeks ago, a friend asked me what iPad to buy, so I said, "why not buy mine?"

Also known as PEER PRESSURE. Glad that you got what you need.

I am still waiting for mine to be shipped. Ordered it a few days ago before I started this thread.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
So, I guess I'll be "that guy."

UN-happy.

You totally got me with that one.

I thought that, after your misstep, when your friend asked you for advice because he had to make the same choice you did, you'd say, "I'm not happy with the wifi model. Don't make the mistake I did. Get the 3G model!"

Instead, you sold him yours so you could get a better one. Sorry but, as presented, that kinda sucks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh