Anybody Ditch Their Laptop For The Ipad

anon(17713)

Banned
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has gotten rid of their laptop in favor of using an ipad. My God daughter is going away to college and needs a computer. I'm thinking about giving her my laptop and purchasing an ipad, but a little nervous about doing so.

Thanks in advance for any input.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on what you use your laptop for. Go look at the iPad and talk the Apple guys and then research a little more on if you can get by doing everything cloud based.

I would like to get an iPad 3G/WiFi also but I do too much editing of photo's and video's as well as other things that I can't give up my laptop for.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I have stopped using my laptop about 90% of the time for the iPad. There's still occassions I need my laptop, such as printing. But, for the most part, I don't use my laptop anymore. Most of the time when I need more horsepower, I use LogMeIn to access my desktop at home or in my office.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I got rid of my iPad in favor of a netbook. I couldn't do simple things on the iPad like upload files.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I got rid of my iPad in favor of a netbook. I couldn't do simple things on the iPad like upload files.

Alli.

You do have a strong point, especially if it's for college. Many assignments have to be uploaded to the instructors site. Luckily, I don't have that scenario of needing to upload very many files. I can save files to my Dropbox account when using Docs to Go and that works great for most of my needs. But I can see where it would be a problem for many people. I occassionally have had that scenario, but that's when I've used LogMeIn to access my desktop and do whatever I need to do. Printing has been a bigger issue for me.

anon(17713)

Banned
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm actually in an apple store using an iPad now. Sounds like the iPad may not work as my sole computer. Forgot to mention in my post that I don't own a desktop. Thank again...

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Nope I haven't. I am most of the time on the iPad though since I am like 15 hours online everyday. I need to print something from time to time and that's the time I use the laptop. Ill keep the laptop as a back up.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have made the switch ... I use Print n Share to print to my wireless printer, and DropBox for all my file sharing ... It works very well for me.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I keep my laptop, but got rid of the netbook. I used the netbook for in bed quick browsing or out on the go and my iPad is way better for those. Ali is right about uploading and such. I don't use a desktop at all anymore so my laptop stays as my " big boy" for the major stuff like doing my taxes and handling my more important stuff.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
My girlfriend did. It really depends on you as a person and what you do. Her, she just browses the web, uses apps, plays games, etc... all things her iPad can do.

I could never get rid of my MacBook, I need to be able to do things in Photoshop and several other things (like Alli stated, file manipulation and handling) that the iPad just doesn't allow.

It was an easier transition for the girlfriend. And honestly, we've got a MacBook (soon we'll have a Pro to replace it) and a 27" iMac and we both have iPhones. If she ever "needs" a computer, she'll have access to one.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I ditched my netbook for an iPad and have not regretted it one bit. Sure, there are things that a laptop can do that an iPad cannot but the things that an iPad can do that the laptop can't are a little bigger to me. And the iPad does everything very well imho. Like was said earlier, it all just depends on what you want to use your laptop for. To me though, there has been a way to everything and then some without needing an actual computer. Just me though. Deuces.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I orginally was trying to trade my Macbook for a iPad but I'm glad i didn't. I still use my Macbook just as much, mainly for working with pictures, AIM and a few other things. Yes the iPad can do those as well and it does them wonderfully when I'm on trips and such but its just easier to do them on the Macbook for me. I do love my iPad though, mainly for all the different apps and games.

TiggerSwindon

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I sold my laptop to get my iPad, but still have a desktop machine for the day to day stuff. The iPad works great for web/mail/IM etc sat on the sofa.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
It really comes down to what you use your laptop for. I could never get rid of my laptop entirely for an iPad. That said, I am a college student and the iPad is my daily driver. I type my notes using Coursenotes. I usually just use the onscreen keyboard, but I also have a stowaway keyboard. I can access one of two etextbooks in mobile Safari and keep my laptop connected to the network so I can run remote desktop for the other one, as well as any website that requires flash, or more?like organic chemistry's OWL site. Office 2 HD allows me to save docs to Google Docs should I need to upload those via remote desktop. Also, Blackboard has an app, but it hasn't been rolled out for my university yet.

Robert Waldroup

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
If you have ditched your laptop for an ipad, what that seems to indicate is that you weren't doing any heavy word processing, development, or other "work" on your laptop. Either that, or you've become adept at typing on the ipad.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Not quite. However, my laptop no longer qualifies as portable. It has a 13 port USB hub, hdmi, audio-out, external webcam and mic. At 4 lbs it is just too heavy. Then there are the power supplies. Battery life sucks. Therefore, it is now a stationary computer.

I carry only my iPhone 4 and my iPad. I have DropBox, AirShare, Evernote, Mobileme, PrinterShare, and LogMeIn Ignition on my both devices. They are truly portable devices with good battery life and light chargers. Since each can do most of what the other can, they back each other up. They give me good access to my home LAN, applications, and data. What little they will not do, access to the LAN provides.

The iPad is even more of a game changer than I could have imagined when I bought it.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I do wish I still had my MBP just for the purpose of typing but I'll be getting a keyboard so that I can take notes during my classes on my iPad.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
If you have ditched your laptop for an ipad, what that seems to indicate is that you weren't doing any heavy word processing, development, or other "work" on your laptop. Either that, or you've become adept at typing on the ipad.

Actually, I found that on the very first day of having the iPad, I was able to type fairly proficiently?only getting hung up on punctuation?without even looking at the screen. However, the iPad is no laptop replacement. A lot of the websites I have to access for homework are heavy flash and/or java. On top of that, I still have to use Excel for complex graphing and Word for documents requiring a lot of formatting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative