Anybody Ditch Their Laptop For The Ipad

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Since I sold off my iPad (and want to get another one) I purchased a MacBook Air 13" full spec. It has been really great for travel and medium intensity work. I would like an iPad and could see me getting an AppleTV for our movie collection or taking it when we travel and using the iPad to push movies to the TV.

But I would not see the iPad as a full Laptop Replacement even with the BT KB/Case options available, there are still too many things I need my laptop for that the iPad wouldn't work really work well for.

JNMEATON#IM

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Dropbox is the file transfer king. I send files and pics to Db then pull up the app w/ my blackberry to sift and sort and email and any other redirect needed. thanks Dropbox!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Dropbox is the file transfer king. I send files and pics to Db then pull up the app w/ my blackberry to sift and sort and email and any other redirect needed. thanks Dropbox!

Agreed. I really did not understand The Cloud and services like Dropbox until I found myself with six computers. Dropbox makes sharing files across the Internet easier than sharing them on my LAN.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Sold my MacBook Pro after getting the iPad. I had little use for it since I already have a desktop PC and home media center PC.

GigaS27

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
ipad great for quick web searching and apps, but will NEVER replace a computer. Although it has taken up a big percentage of usage between the two

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
ipad great for quick web searching and apps, but will NEVER replace a computer. Although it has taken up a big percentage of usage between the two
The young believe that the world has always been as they found it and will always remain so.

Depending upon when one was born, the iPad is THE computer, a computer, or something else. Until the personal computer, most people had never used a computer. For most of us, the only thing that can qualify as a "computer" is something that is optimized for OUR application. Most of us chose our application based upon the typical configuration and user interface that existed.

Many people have become computer users, perhaps even without knowing it, since the iPhone and the iPad have come upon the scene. Whatever, anyone may think, these are computers that are simply adapted to an application and environment.

Those born in 2011, may never use a traditional personal computer, one that only has a keyboard, GUI, and mouse. They may believe that any computer that cannot talk and listen and recognize gestures is simply too limited to qualify as a "computer."

The little nuns that schooled me wrote beautiful hands. They failed to teach my generation to do so. I came of age at about the time that typewriters became "personal." I type reasonably well. I "write" with a computer. I like to "see" what I write. I do not dictate well. While I can do most of my applications with an iPad, I do not draft well using an iPad. I need a "computer" to draft. Kids born today will draft by voice because the power of their computers will encourage it.

What one calls a "computer" depends upon when one was born and what one does.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouln't say 2011, but anyone born with in the last 5 years, may be even ten. I was born in 1990. That year computers were still luxury items. Windows 3.1 came out and came with success due to the gUI being tweaked, and almost mac OS like compared to the DOS like UI that came with Windows 1 and Windows 2. Apple was under a diferent CEO with bunch of other models. By the time I started using a computer, Windows 95 and OS 6 (?) were the choices. Windows 98 was in testing. The macs were eirther huge towers or all in ones with CD drives and floppy disks and Steve jobs was just returning. Matter of fact the fist computer I used was a mac at school.

So lets say those born in 2000. their first taste of a computer would most likely have been Eirther XP or Vista, or even OSX tiger and Leopard (that is, if their parrents didnt have a computer in the early 2000s) They will be 11 this year, so from here on out, all they will use are mobile devices. Now if someone were born in 2010, then chances are your theorie may be right, as ten years from now, we may not have the keyboard and mouse,

but I don't think they will die off that soon. There will still be a need for a powerful machine that needs to get work done first over swiping, tapping and pinching. (trust me, there is) I do how ever, see the end of a physical keyboard, and more laptops, and even desktops having vitural keyboards that could even combine the mouse.

Few years from now, we may even see Apple integrating a iPad like display in to the macbooks and having that as the keyboard and mouse, may be even a secondary display.

but I don't see the world going to all iPads. that is just a bit over the top.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I only use my laptop for storing files and syncing to itunes otherwise it all iPad use only. I couldnt live a day without it

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Can someone ditch their laptop for the iPad, well depending what they do sure it's possible. This will not apply to the majority of users today though. The iPad has appeared and right now it might not be a contender to take over the role but there are still many generations to come and ways to grow. The 2nd gen is rumored to have an SD card slot, in the future as flash memory grows and prices get cheap who knows what the storage will become. If you compare a computer from 1990 to one today the features, capabilities and hardware is vastly different and in the same way comparing the 10th generation iPad to today's model could be the same thing.

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I use them both together. It depends on what I need. For example, if I need iChat then I'll need to turn on my MacBook/iMac. The main problem that I have with my iPad is the ability to upload images and stuff directly to image-hosting websites like TinyPic. Also, the lack of Flash means there are occasions I don't actually have a choice in the matter.

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I know I couldn't totally ditch my MacBook Pro, but having an iPad would definitely cut into my usage of a laptop. I'll be picking up an iPad once the second generation is released.

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I gave up my 17" laptop for a netbook. I then gave up the netbook for the iPad 3G. I have experienced a few situations in which I feel I would have liked to have had a real computer. One involved printing. The other is websites that require flash...it really seems like a silly thing to disallow on an otherwise capable device.

Last edited:

vapor03

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I have an older desktop and my work laptop. I don't own an iPad yet, but plan on getting the iPad2 instead of a new computer at this time. I decided my family and I would enjoy the iPad more and there are always deals to be found on new computers.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My laptop broke last year right around the time the iPad was coming out. Instead of getting a new laptop, I got an iPad. The iPad can do 95% of what a laptop can do. For me it does 99%. The only thing it doesn't do for me is flash. So I created a VPN at home and when I need flash I just go through the desktop computer.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
im kind of on the other side of things here. im kinda ditching my ipad for the mbp i just bought. ipads are great, and wonderful, but just not right for everyone. dont get me wrong i love my ipad, for games, movies, and small browsing, but until it can do everything a computer can do, it wont be as valuable to me.

another thing that makes me chose this, though, is im about to get my CDL (commercial drivers license), and get a job as a truck driver. doing this career, im gonna be out on the road, for extended periods of time, at least for the first year or 2. and i decided, for that it would be better to have a laptop, in case something with my phone goes wrong, or if say i actually have to use a website that uses flash. if i wasnt gonna be gone so much, i probably wouldnt of bought the mbp, and would of stuck with the ipad. for the price that it is, the battery life alone for watching movies and tv shows on it is worth it alone. the battery on the ipad (first gen obviously) is amazing. but like i said, it just isnt a laptop replacement for all, unless you arent going to be away from a computer for an extended period of time. if you have a normal job, where your home everyday, and you have a desktop computer, then its great and can replace a laptop in a heartbeat.

iPadJay

Mar 4, 2011
www.gamesontheipad.com
It depends what you use the laptop for, but no, i have to say I don't get much usage out of my ipad for work, email etc. it tends to be a leisure item rather than a work item....

I agree, I use my laptop for work stuff mostly...but thats at work. At home I used to use the laptop for reading/internet/movies and playing an occasional game.

So now I do all that leisure stuff on the iPad

kindaskimpy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I didn't ditch my Macbook Pro for my iPad but last month, my old Macbook Pro decided to go to sleep and never wake up and for the week it took me to get out to the Apple Store and buy a new one, my iPad was my computer. A quite competent computer. I did miss Flash though... terribly!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh