Anybody Ditch Their Laptop For The Ipad

patrickq

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a Macbook, a Vista desktop, an iPad and an iPhone - and I use one of these 4 devices almost every waking moment. I am an iPhone developer so ditching the Macbook is simply not an option but for a college students I would say it's unlikely that she will come across an app she absolutely must have that's not on the iPad so best wait till this need actually arises before possibly buying a laptop. However, for me the overriding reason to keep using a laptop is still the speed of typing: it may be just me but typing on the iPad still takes me 5-10 times more on the iPad when taking into account everything (not just typing): editing, cut-and-paste.

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Same here... laptop is now on the backburner. Its too bad that the ipad can't do everything that a laptop can. I'm a CNC Machinist, so I do need an actual laptop for machine programming. Once I can run CAD/CAM programs on my ipad... my laptop turns into a paper weight

DXmeatclaws via tapatalk

amg

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Need my laptop for too much - but I'm taking the iPad by itself to more and more meetings (notetaking and having reference docs preloaded) - I'm also leaving the laptop behind occasionally when it can be plugged into a reliable network connection and I use logmein to access it from the iPad.

Nowhere near a laptop replacement for me.. yet... but it's become an indispensable companion!

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Instead of buying a laptop for school (college), I got myself an iPad!
I thoroughly researched the decision, and decided I would prefer it. Does doc editing, great ebook reader, and SO thin!
Not to mention the games and everything else on it! iPad is awesome, glad I got one :D

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Why does iOS not have file uploading support to websites? If it's because of a lack of file system, couldn't u just have a search function to select a file to upload? Anyone think this is coming to iOS?

I think u need to have a household laptop (be it net book or desktop replacement) just incase u ever need to do anything major, and that the tablet is a luxury after that for basic computing on a more mobile device, unless u r never going to upload photos, files, or edit media or play a gamers game.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Why does iOS not have file uploading support to websites? If it's because of a lack of file system, couldn't u just have a search function to select a file to upload? Anyone think this is coming to iOS?

I think u need to have a household laptop (be it net book or desktop replacement) just incase u ever need to do anything major, and that the tablet is a luxury after that for basic computing on a more mobile device, unless u r never going to upload photos, files, or edit media or play a gamers game.
The issue is identifying the object and addressing the place to put it. iOS 4.2 uses different mechansms for the native apps, i.e., photos, calendar, and contacts, and the optional apps, those included in iWorks.

The native apps only provide for uploading locally to iTunes and remotely to the appropriate folder in MobileMe.

The iWorks applications, that is those that deal with files, provide for file uploading. Obviously the iPad has to have addressability to a file server and the privileges to upload to it. They provide for the easy special case, iDisk, and the general, slightly more difficult, case of WebDAV.

When you tell an iWorks application to save to a WebDAV server, you are prompted for the Server Address, your User Name on that server, and your password. There is also a button named "Learn more about WebDAV." You can also learn more about WebDAV from Windows help and Wikipedia. While I have set up WebDAV servers in the past, I would have to refresh from these sources.

In part because the system that you might want to upload to may be in a different domain, addressability is the issue. That is why we use MobileMe, iDisk and WebDAV.

wiggy1

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Can't ditch the laptop and Tablet PC completely, but I find I don't need to carry them much to get most of my work done. Still need the full OS computer while away on long trips though.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
There is no way I would ever ditch my MBP, I use that sucker for things the iPad couldn't come close to doing. I do use it for browsing the web, email, and remote connection to my desktop at work. I'm actually for the hell of it going to try and use the iPad all week at work next week but like I said I have a desktop that I can remote into for the things I know the iPad wont be able to do.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I no longer carry a laptop on the road. If my schedule has me on the Road Tuesday, I take my MacBook Air to do my webcast. Everything else, I can do with LogMeIn and the iPad.

I am hoping for the iPad 2 in the Spring and for it to have a camera supported by Skype so that I can do my webcast from the iPad.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Can't ditch the laptop and Tablet PC completely, but I find I don't need to carry them much to get most of my work done. Still need the full OS computer while away on long trips though.
I no longer carry a laptop on the road. If my schedule has me on the Road Tuesday, I take my MacBook Air to do my webcast. Everything else, I can do with LogMeIn and the iPad.

I am hoping for the iPad 2 in the Spring and for it to have a camera supported by Skype so that I can do my webcast from the iPad.

Reactions: PREferred#IM

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The iPad has replaced my need for a computer altogether. Everything I do, i can do with the iPad. I haven't used my desktop computer since I got the iPad!

Last edited:

mtnmedic

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have an HP TX2500 Tablet PC latop. Will keep that because it's now a back up to my desktop AND becuase it does have a true WACOM tablet. However...I used to have a Sony Vaio P530H Ultraportable. I ditched that as soon as I got my hands on an iPad at the Apple Store. :)

Gadgetholik

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

This is just a pure misconception that the current version of the ipad can replace a laptop.The ipad is a different device and it is meant for people who want to surf the web,play games,listen to music and do basic computational tasks on the go and are not willing to take the burden of carrying the laptop everywhere they go.The ipad can't do even 1/5th of the tasks that your laptop can do.Regards

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
This is just a pure misconception that the current version of the ipad can replace a laptop.The ipad is a different device and it is meant for people who want to surf the web,play games,listen to music and do basic computational tasks on the go and are not willing to take the burden of carrying the laptop everywhere they go.The ipad can't do even 1/5th of the tasks that your laptop can do.Regards

I think it comes down to the fact that many never used their laptops for more than what you can do on an ipad.

epb

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I think it comes down to the fact that many never used their laptops for more than what you can do on an ipad.

Exactly! People tend to get more power than they need with computers, and he iPad has proven a lot of people didn't need the power of their laptops or even their net books.

Player1

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Laptop and a Netbook.
Since I got my IPad I have stopped using the Netbook altogether and reduced using the Laptop by about 70%

I will always need a laptop or desktop to run dedicated applications for work or business which normally includes extensive file management and downloads.

PREferred#IM

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

I have to use Skype when I'm away from home, but if Skype comes out on the new iPad 2 (as I hear it may well do) then yes, I won't need the laptop on the road. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal