Google Voice / Gizmo 5 on my WiFi iPad

TheMooch

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
I DID IT! WooHoo!

I can now send and receive Google Voice Calls (via Gizmo5) on my iPad.

Here's how I did it.

1.) Need a Google Voice account. (Check)
2.) Need a Gizmo5 Account (Check)
- This step will be impossible unless you already have one since they aren't allowing new accounts.
3.) Install "Whistle Phone" on you iPad/iPhone. (Check)
4.) You will need to configure Google Voice to forward to your Gizmo5 Account.
5.) Configure "Whistle Phone" to connect to a generic SIP. In this case it'll use your Gizmo5 number and proxy01.sipphone.com.
6.) Start testing. I was able to easily call from my house phone to my iPad and from my iPad to my cell phone with ZERO issues.

Since I'm trying to stay quiet (wife asleep in the other room) I'll have to try full on conversations tomorrow to see how the audio quality works. Gizmo5 hasn't been known for their audio quality in the past so this may be short lived.

mzl.grtjyoqq.480x480-75.jpg

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Let us know about the voice quality. This is something I want to do also. I downloaded the Gizmo5 app, but haven't really tested it yet (it will make call).

I'm going to download other voip clients because I want to see if the quality is different.

TheMooch

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Haven't had a whole lot of chance to test it today. I did try earlier, but had some difficulty with it.

I'll be able to do some fairly heavy testing of it from work tomorrow though.

TheMooch

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
So not quite ready for Primetime just yet. Calls come in and out without issue, but the audio is wonky. Sometimes I have incoming audio, but no outgoing, sometimes it's the other way around.

TheMooch

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
A little more testing today and it looks like I have things fingered out.

I was able to make a crystal clear call to a buddy of mine and he couldn't tell that i was calling from the iPad. There was no signal lag or clarity issues.

I have noticed though that my employer appears to be blocking sipphone.com or maybe sip in general since nothing goes in or out when I try to make or receive calls at work. Which is a bummer since that's what i was really hoping for.

One big note though is that whistle phone gives no feedback on whether or not a call is going through or not. You don't hear ringing on the other end or busy signals. Just silence.

TheMooch

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Well I have it pretty solid now. I can call my Google Voice number and have it ring on Whistle Phone as long as I'm on a network that'll let the proxy through (i.e. not at work).

Once I demonstrated it to my wife we immediately went into the killing off the AT&T account discussion. LOL Like I didn't see that coming. She absolutely hates the fact that you're required to pay extra for a mandatory data plan.

I gotta say though. Once the iPad updates to iOS4 it's a very real possibility that that may just happen!

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear it's going well (sort of!). I've got it working also and plan to spend some time playing with it this weekend. I'm also going to try the Gizmo5 client and see if there are any audio differences - I like the fact they have a G729 codec.

TheMooch

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear it's going well (sort of!). I've got it working also and plan to spend some time playing with it this weekend. I'm also going to try the Gizmo5 client and see if there are any audio differences - I like the fact they have a G729 codec.

I've, personally, found that the Gizmo5 client for the desktop is an abysmal failure with exceedingly unreliable audio. YMMV.

TheMooch

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Looks like the single largest hurdle is the number of wifi hotspots that block the SIP ports on the firewall. Wasn't able to make a call from the airport this morning. :)