Is the iPad losing attention due to the iPhone?

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a real complaint or anything because I really like my iPad a lot, but with the iPhone back in the spotlight then I'm wondering if Apple and the developers have shifted their attention away from the iPad.

The reason I say this is because immediately after launch then all the news was about the iPad apps that were flowing in from major players, but after the first few weeks then it just slowed down and now all the news stories are about sales rather than Apps or Updates.

iOS4: Seeing iOS4 on the iPhone is great, but the iPad is desperately in need of Folders and Multitasking. And our update doesn't come until Fall? Why not?

iPad Native 3rd Party Apps - Non-iPad users claim the iPad is just a big iPod Touch, and for 200,000 Apps they're right. But when an App is built specifically for the iPad then it distinctly shows why the iPad is awesome. So why are so many major apps still not giving us an iPad version? Quicken/Mint, Facebook, CNN, Onion, Engadget, RedBox, Walmart, Most banks, Most games etc. I'm feeling neglected here :)

iPad Native 1st Party Apps - I understand why 3rd Party is slow to give iPad versions. But 1st Party from Apple too? iMove, Remote and the App Store should have an iPad version.

Camera - People made a ton of excuses on "why" the iPad didn't need a camera. But now that the iPhone has two then it's a bit annoying because it seems like major features were omitted purely so it wouldn't steal the big "One More Thing" for the iPhone 4.

Considering that most iPads are used indoors (with WiFi) then a WiFi-only chat app would've been perfect. I know, we'll get it next gen and it's the price to pay when you're an early adopter. But still, it's technology they had but intentionally omitted in order to boost iPhone 4 sales.

Retinal Screen - It's amazing how a Great screen will make last weeks "very good screen" look old. After playing with the iPhone 4 then every screen I've ever used just looks washed out (and that includes the iPad). I cant wait to see this on the next iPad.

Again, I hope people don't take this list as a slam. I like my iPad, but I'm really hoping it gets more attention beyond buzzwords and sales numbers.

Last edited:

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I feel like the iPad is "on hold". The iPad will regain it's time in the spotlight when iOS 4 hits it in the fall. Although, I still use my iPad daily.

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Agreed

I have actually been very disappointed since purchasing my iPad. The app selection since launch is pretty weak, the focus of WWDC was all on the iPhone 4, but if any device needed multitasking and folders, that would be the iPad.

I agree, I am not sure why Apple left out a front facing camera, retina display, and iOS4 out of the iPad. It feels to me in hindsight that Apple wanted to make sure there was enough demand in the iPad before putting too much R&D into the device.

Unfortunately, I believe that developers feel the same way which is why there has been some neglect on the iPad.

Not to bag on the iPad, but I also find that in my case it is simply collecting dust right now. When I want to casually browse the web, I grab my iPhone 4 and I still use my MacBook Pro for most computing. I know a lot of other iPad owners who have been sharing the same sentiment, which makes me wonder about the future of this device. :(

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Not to bag on the iPad, but I also find that in my case it is simply collecting dust right now. When I want to casually browse the web, I grab my iPhone 4 and I still use my MacBook Pro for most computing. I know a lot of other iPad owners who have been sharing the same sentiment, which makes me wonder about the future of this device. :(

Agree. It never found a place for me or my family. I still got a Kindle laying around for reading. Iphone 4 isn't too shabby for that either. The ipad never really offered much beyond what you get with an iphone.

Nook is going for 150 now. Soon they'll be 99 along with kindles.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's out of the spotlight it's just more of a behind the scenes device. The iPhone is a smartphone so you use it daily, it's in your pocket so it's basically the workhorse. I think once iOS4 comes to iPad so we have multitasking and folders it will be even better to use. They definately could have set it up more with a front facing camera but there is no way I will ever rather browse the web, check emails or look at images on my iPhone. I even love playing games more on my iPad I only ever use my phone when my iPad isn't around.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR