iPad: Buy it Now or Later?

Now or Later?

• Total voters

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I am definitely waiting. I'm not sure there will ever be a price "drop" though. I highly doubt it's going below $499, though the capacities may increase next gen.

bconley007

May 9, 2010
Visit site
i doubt a price drop will occur anytime soon. you wont see a price drop til next gen comes out next year...i say go for it

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
i doubt a price drop will occur anytime soon. you wont see a price drop til next gen comes out next year...i say go for it

Not even. Apple said themselves that with the iPhone the price started high and then went low. With the iPad, they started low. One of Steve's major points on the presentation. The iPad will NOT see a price drop next year, it's already priced really reasonably.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Lol apple doesn't do price drops the only reason that iPhone got a decrease was because Att picked up the tab via subsidy.

MacBook Pro's entire line: price reduced. 17" MBP was Core 2 Duo and started at $2,499; New 17" MBP is Core i5/i7 and starts at $2,299. ;)

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
The iPad will drop in price next year I'm sure but probably only by $50 per unit. I say buy it now and then when the new one comes out sell the original one to someone.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Price aside, you can always wait for the next model. If it follows Apple's release schedule, there would be a new one around this time next year. Then again, just like a new iPhone, you can always wait one more year to get the newer model.

If you keep doing that though...you'll never buy anything! :)

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
To me, the joy of actually getting to use the device for a whole year before finally upgrading to the newer model far outweighs the benefits of waiting. I'd say go for it.

pat3ck

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm with the majority, you should buy it now.

Don't worry about some issues that will come up as they will surely fix that with their updates.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Should i buy it now or should i wait and see a price drop and/or 2nd gen??

This doesn't give me a lot of information to work about your needs or wants so,...

Buy it now. I made my purchase more or less by accident and haven't regretted it overall - mostly because the supply has been so funking low. I would rather own it and then get rid of it than go through the headaches many have faced waiting on the inventory to jump when I REALLY want it.

I wont lie to you, though. Depnding on the types of devices you are used to, this thing's "mono-tasking" could drive you nuts. I am used to my Pre's multitasking so may have bothered me more than an unjailbroken iPhone user.

If I couldn't use my phone to instant message people while doingn something else on the iPad, I would have had a much more negative experience with it.

I am HIGHLY anticipating the (pseudo-?)multitasking update.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
As far as I understand it, we will all get the multi-tasking software update later this year. That solves that problem.

In the 2nd generation models, they'll prolly add more memory and a camera. I can live without both of those.

I don't think the price will go down. They've already started these things really low for what they do, I don't think they can go much lower.

If you can live without a camera and more storage...then get one now. I, personally, already own 3 cameras and I could care less about the storage...I have the 32 and that's enough for me for at least the next few years.

The only other up in the air for me is the ability to print direct from the iPad. Jobs said that its coming, but I don't see the printing option becoming available till generation 3. I can live with no printing for now (I just cut and paste or use the cloud). I do plan on upgrading mine in generation 3...but it works wonderfully for me now.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
As far as I understand it, we will all get the multi-tasking software update later this year. That solves that problem.

In the 2nd generation models, they'll prolly add more memory and a camera. I can live without both of those.

I don't think the price will go down. They've already started these things really low for what they do, I don't think they can go much lower.

If you can live without a camera and more storage...then get one now. I, personally, already own 3 cameras and I could care less about the storage...I have the 32 and that's enough for me for at least the next few years.

The only other up in the air for me is the ability to print direct from the iPad. Jobs said that its coming, but I don't see the printing option becoming available till generation 3. I can live with no printing for now (I just cut and paste or use the cloud). I do plan on upgrading mine in generation 3...but it works wonderfully for me now.

I don't know if they even will add a camera. I feel like it would be hypocritical at this point. Maybe in two generations if they find that there's a new need for a camera, but I don't think they'd add it on the second gen after they saw no reason to have one in the first gen. It would be good to use with alternate reality apps though.

alled

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I want to wait.

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
It's nice to have a new product of a new kind when it's first released. This type of launch doesn't happen all the time.. the fact that it's a first gen model and it's pretty bug free and resonablely priced.. Apple made it real hard for you to sit around and wait for a second gen model when the ipad that's out now is pretty neat from all different angles.

afwriter

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't expect too much more from the second gen iPads other than a camera in the open slot that's already there and memory upgrades. While there's a lot that people think could be in the second gen iPad, based on Apple's history with the iPhone, it's more likely you see features added slowly over time to milk the most out of the product line -- and Apple's bottom line.

Later,

Don!

DocGo

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I say, buy it now. I initially thought this will be "just a big ipod touch". Now, I use it everyday and it has replaced my HP MiniNote. I do look forward to the future generation iPad, but then, every year, there's always going to be a new one coming. So go and buy and enjoy the one that is out there now. It is really a good product.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
My answer would turn on whether or not one is an iPhone user. The value to an iPhone user is so great as to be irresistible.

The iPad has no greater fan than me, but for others it is a tougher question. I gave one to a friend who was not an iPhone or mac user and the value was relatively low.

If you are not an iPhone user, buy an iPod touch now and an iPad later.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner