WiFi issues! Seriously?

h1w1nd

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have my MBP in the kitchen along with my iPhone. They both have full bars on WiFi and never drop out.

I bring my iPad into the living room or kitchen and it drops out all the time. Even in my room it will disconnect and say "connecting" 4-5 times while using safari.

I've restored the iPad as new, I've tried reseting network connections in settings. Power cycled my router and modem.

Is there a solution for my problem? Or am i SOL?

Thank you

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
What type of security is on the router? WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA Personal, etc, etc?

I'd probably change it to WEP (slightly lower, i.e. older security), and then see if that makes a difference...

I know you did a restore as new, another alternative is to do a 'forget this network', and then reconnect, see what that does...

h1w1nd

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

I'd probably change it to WEP (slightly lower, i.e. older security), and then see if that makes a difference...

I know you did a restore as new, another alternative is to do a 'forget this network', and then reconnect, see what that does...

I'm using wpa right now on channel 11. Channel 6 was even worse, constant drop outs.

I'll try forget network, thx

cgordonn

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I was having issues with my iPads wifi connectivity as well. Apple knows what the problem is, it's a design issue with the iPad. That black plastic apple on the back of the iPad is the only entry point for the radio signal. I can be in the same room with both my iPad and iPhone and my iPhone gets a much stronger signal then the iPad does. So it's not a router, channel or security issue. My resolution was to purchase a Hawking Technology wifi repeater. I keep it in the room where I use my iPad the most and my connectivity issues have gone away.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I disagree that its a set hardware issue or else the issues would be seen by mostly everyone and thats just not the case. I have heard of some people having a ton of issues and exchanging it and then having no issues at all. I would say return it to Apple for a new one and see if that helps.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I would say to just keep adjusting network settings and see if you can find a combination that will give you more stable results. I was using WEP on channel 11 initially, and I was getting drop outs constantly. After I changed it to channel 8 and WPA2, I haven't had issues since. Just keep trying.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
WiFi issues are an ongoing battle for iProducts... I have my iPhone literally 5 feet away from my router while I'm in bed and it still has trouble loading videos, even while it claims to have full signal (and, my internet is 25mbps).

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site

Yes i agree with him that what happened in our office they switch it to WPA then we turn it on to WEP.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I've been using WAP2 at home with no issues at all. I get the same signal as with my MBP and Dell XPS anywhere in the house. We use WEP/non-broadcasting at work and no problems there. I use a Clearwire hotspot in my F150 and take it in for meetings where's there's no WiFi and haven't had a problem yet. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Like others have said, I don't think it's a problem with all ipads, just some. I've had mine for a couple weeks now, and I haven't had any issues with connectivity (knock on wood).

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
It is a problem with certain routers, for example FiOS Actiontec routers as well as various dual band models (2.4GHz/5GHz). Symptoms include dropping wifi connections or repeated prompting for the password. In general, the following settings minimize drop outs:
1. Use different SSID names for each network i.e. one name for 802.11g and another for 11n
2. Disable mixed mode b/g. Run it in g-only
3. Switch wireless security to WPA/WPA2 or no security at all if you're comfortable with that
4. Force the channels (either 1,6, or 11). Use a tool like NetStumbler to scan your surroundings and see which channel is the least used and if possible check the signal strengths to determine the best one to pick
5. Set the iPad to use a static IP. Just give it a high number like 192.168.x.190 or something like that

After doing that I only get drop outs once every couple of days. I suspect its an issue with the networking stack in the iPhone OS since this happens to iPhones/iPod Touches as well (see Apple Support Forums)

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Funny, in my bedroom which is upstairs away from my router, I get much better signal from my ipad than I ever did from my iPhone. Exact opposite results as my iPhone wifi always drops out and switches to 3g while my ipad is steady and reliable.

May 11, 2010
Visit site
It is a problem with certain routers

not true.

my first experience with an ipad was at a best buy on opening weekend. they had 6 units, and each had a short line to use it. after a 5-minute wait, i had one. soon, i discovered that web pages and maps weren't loading properly. the wi-fi icon registered one "bar" (the dot at the bottom).

however, standing right next to me was someone else who had 4 bars. i didn't have to ask if he was having problems. it was evident that he was not. same with the woman on his other side: no problems at all.

i asked the guy working the floor if there was a problem. true to form, he knew very little about the ipads -- yet he was the one running the department at the time. (it still blows my mind that these big-box stores can't get this stuff right, but that's another issue.)

bottom line: in a row of 3 ipads, 2 feet apart, 2 were working properly, and 1 wasn't.

sorry, but that clearly had nothing to do with the router.

Duscraft

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Not too many issues

I have an iPhone 3G S, iPad and iMac all connected to my Wifi and I really don't have too many issues. My iPhone really hasn't had any Wifi issues, my iMac has occasional issues that are easily resolved by turning my Airport off and back on and refreshing the page (takes like 30 seconds tops ha ha) and that also goes for my iPad... It happens more often to my iMac than my iPad... But I really don't have any complaints and love my Apple equipment.

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
iPad Wifi major problems

I have a really weird problem at work with the Wifi connection when using my iPad, it is only a small office with a two PC's connected by ethernet and two laptops on wireless.

When I come in with my iPad it connects to the wifi but knocks everyone off or rather restricts certain web pages first then drops the internet to them, only rebooting the router fixes it until my iPad connects again and boom same outcome.

I have WPA security on the router and it is set up with b and g bands

The router is a BT Voyager 2100

Anyone have any ideas

Chris

jimmybowser

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Guess I'm One of the Unlucky Ones Too

My iPad has lots of disconnect issues. It happens at my house, at my job, at the college I attend, at Starbucks, and several other places. I get 1 bar or the dreaded "connecting" message several times anytime I am using my iPad. I love this thing and I really hope they will figure out a fix for this. I've had it for a few weeks now so I'm not sure if I can still exchange it. I did not buy the AppleCare or the BestBuy plan either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh