Very Basic Question for technologically challenged

newtotechnology

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So here is my question...I am sure that for those who are technologically savvy, this may seem silly...

My brother has an iphone, and when we are at our family's lake house, he can connect to the internet through his regular cellular service to check e-mail etc., however, things that require 3G access, larger streaming needs etc. are not available. I was wondering if I am going to be able to use my ipad (with 3G) in this area...

I know that the connectivity is through the 3G network on the ATT cell towers...so will I have any access in these areas or none at all because it is not a cell phone??

Thanks!!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
3522525481_3d09a3a7a5.jpg

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
If he can check email on his iPhone then he is getting some sort of data connection, i.e. either EDGE or GPRS. You can ask him if he sees a 'G' or 'E' in place of the '3G' on the top bar of his phone. Your iPad's radio can also handle GPRS or EDGE as fall backs in case 3G is not available, so yes it should work though network operations like browsing etc will be slower

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with minimo. If he's able to get some email, etc on his phone, then some sort of signal is getting through. You may be able to access some things with your iPad, but it will probably be really slow.

Just load your iPad up with tons of stuff, music..movies..books...and use it offline when you're at the lakehouse. Or you can go into town and find a wifi spot and use the internet there. Or you can set up your own wifi hotspot at your lakehouse, which is obviously the more difficult option :D

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Oh, if you see an "E" instead of a "3G" you may as well not bother. You can actually create apps with a napkin and a big fat crayon faster than you can download an app over Edge. Edge is that slow.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal