10 Things Netbooks Still do Better than an iPad

natehugg

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
While the iPad might win out on some particular functions--video playback quality, in particular, the truth is there are a great many things Netbooks can do that an iPad just can't. Right now, at least. And while that may not make a Netbook better than a laptop, in some instances a Netbook certainly seems better than an iPad.

1. Video chat.
Most Netbooks, even low-end ones, now have Webcams enabling basic video chat over Skype or any other program. The iPad, however, does not. We wish the iPad had a camera and iChat, especially since it would make the tablet a unique communications device to rival the iPhone. Perhaps cost was a factor, even though most Netbooks manage the feat in a package under $500.

2. Run Flash.
While Steve Jobs called the iPad "the best Web experience you've ever had," there is a big missing piece right now, and that's the whole Web. Browser-based apps and Flash-driven content are huge elements of cloud computing and of many Web sites, and right now it's not even clear whether the iPad can even run Hulu or Netflix. Atom Netbooks can be slow and stuttery when playing Web video, but at least they can.

3. Programming.
Most people aren't programmers, or anything close to it, but most Netbooks do run on a full Windows 7 OS that can be used for programming or modification. For the friendly hackers out there, that's a deal-breaker on the iPad.

4. Upload photos from a camera.
No USB ports on the iPad mean no connecting cameras or other peripherals, which can be a drag if the iPad is meant as a portable computing replacement for bloggers. Netbooks have at least 2 USB ports standard. We should use [link removed] to upload photos, but when we're on the go we prefer a direct connection.

5. Store more than 64GB of data.
We expected a little more memory on the iPad. Even the most basic Netbook has a 160GB hard drive. Cloud storage can assist with data, but it's still no replacement for onboard capacity.

6. Play Facebook games.
Without the aforementioned Flash, browser games aren't really possible on the iPad. Those looking to play Farmville will have to wait for the App or just flock to a Netbook.

7. Swapping batteries.
Sure, the iPad is slim, attractive and very showy. But its battery is fixed, while a Netbook can not only swap its battery, but upgrade from a three- to a six-cell or more.

8. Install CD media
With the addition of a simple USB DVD/CD-ROM drive, disc-based software can be installed on a Netbook even without an optical drive built in. Netbooks can also install files off USB drives, or via any other input method. The iPad wasn't designed with this flexibility in mind, but it's still nice to be able to do.

9. Type on your lap.
Yes, the iPad has a virtual keyboard, and even a cool keyboard dock that turns the tablet into a quasi-desktop device. But the dock can't be used for lap typing, and the Apple demos didn't make iPad typing seem as comfortable as pounding away on an old-fashioned hinged Netbook. For long-term writing on the go, a physical Netbook keyboard with an attached angled screen still wins.

10. Upgrade.
Netbooks can upgrade their RAM--albeit slightly--and with a little effort, that hard drive can be swapped, too. The iPad is a fixed entity, so there's no going back once you've picked 16, 32, or 64GB.

[link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Depends on how you define netbook. I'll have to tell my wife to quit calling her netbook a netbook.

I couldn't handle one of those 9 or 10" deals with a crappy screen and Atom processor.

But something like Acer Aspire 1410 review (dual core version) is more like it. Even then, personally, i'd step up and just lug around a real laptop..around 15" or 16".

The iPad though seems pretty durable. Has a great indoors screen. And if all you want out of it is a web browser, an e-reader, or basically consume media, then its a winner.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Boy, these forums fill up with fake posters pimping their lame websites faster than you can say "shill".

I don't even understand this whole netbook vs. iPad thing. If I wanted yet another Windows PC in my life I would have bought one. But I don't- I have enough already. I wanted a device that doesn't need an anti-virus and almost daily security patches. One that turns on instantly and doesn't get slower and slower as I install more apps. One that is easy and fun to use and designed from the ground up to be finger-friendly. Hello, iPad. Then again, I never understood the whole netbook thing anyway. Why shell out hundreds of dollars for a slow, crappy computer with a bad screen and cramped keyboard? If I need an ultra-portable laptop, I'll save up and get one. I guess I believe that many times when you buy cheap, you get what you pay for.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I hear you on the viruses. I've had to fix my sis in law's laptop twice in the last month. This is with both antivirus and spyware programs installed. She somehow finds a way..

I'd love for her to get an iPad. And leave a desktop in another room just for things like printing, burning cds, typing that occasional doc, etc.

I also think there's thousands of people just like her that have very simple needs.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Although it was somewhat sales "puffery" and quintessential Jobsian marketing flair, Steve-o hit the nail on the head when he proclaimed that netbooks don't do ANYTHING better than their larger laptop counterparts. When you are dealing with the iPhone and the iPad, you accept that you are living in a closed system averse to hackery. Personally, I'm at a point that I don't mind the closed system at all if it just plain works -- I want to turn it on, do the things I need to do, and turn it off again. No worries. That's why I'm looking forward to getting my iPad 3G -- I want something that simply works and works simply.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Just got the new GoodReader update that has file sharing. So I can open mail attachments in GoodReader, etc. A small step, but one in the right direction. Now all the other doc managment/viewer/cloud-storage apps need to do the same and the iPad becomes just a little bit more functional.

Not that I'm complaining- I got it primarily for what it does well- movies, books, light email, twitter, web surfing and apps. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to take it to the next level and see it do more than it currently can.

The first iPhone was severely limited, but I gave up my love affair with Windows Mobile devices for its very closed feature set simply because its UI, built-in apps and browser were light years beyond WinMo 6.0 IMO. And of course the iPhone really came into its own with OS 2.0 and the App Store. Very curious to see what the next year brings. Hope I don't regret getting a non-3G iPad. Might have to reevaluate that later.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I will say it again I never understand why everyone is so obsessed with proving one thing is better than another? Who cares as long as the object you bought does what you need it to that is all that matters. I can tell you many things my MB Pro does better than a netbook, I can tell you many things my desktop does better than my MB Pro. They all fulfill certain duties and everything has pros and cons otherwise there would be no need to innovate and upgrade.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Dyvim, I hope you don't regret getting a non-3G iPad also, but at least you have an iPad! I'm still waiting for mine... I have severe iPad envy.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone was simply limited when it was released -- didn't even have 3rd party apps. It will take some time and evolution, but the iPad will come into it's own.

Agreed. This is a first generation product, I can't name many first generation products that didn't have areas of improvement.

Ibri I think your example of the iphone is perfect. If you bought an Apple product in the past you know it's never going to have everything you want. Compare the 1st gen iphone to the 3Gs. Heck, this is a company whose 3rd generation phone included such futuristic features such as "cut and paste". And just recently Apple finally, finally, FINALLY introduced multi-tasking. Apple doesn't do anything on your time schedule....Jobs & company do things on "apple time".

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Agreed. This is a first generation product, I can't name many first generation products that didn't have areas of improvement.

Ibri I think your example of the iphone is perfect. If you bought an Apple product in the past you know it's never going to have everything you want. Compare the 1st gen iphone to the 3Gs. Heck, this is a company whose 3rd generation phone included such futuristic features such as "cut and paste". And just recently Apple finally, finally, FINALLY introduced multi-tasking. Apple doesn't do anything on your time schedule....Jobs & company do things on "apple time".

Thanks for the compliment :) I get a little nutty about my gadgets, but I do have to say that I have fairly high expectations for the iPad and truly believe that Apple provided a form-factor and platform (the sandbox, if you will) in which developers will truly take it to heights that even Apple hasn't contemplated. I'm excited to be at the front of the line on this one and plan on giving it at least a couple years of solid use to see what happens.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The only one of the ten that really is a loss on a product like the iPad is video chat. The other nine aren't really issues IMO.

It really depends upon the user. My girlfriend couldn't survive with an iPad over a netbook/laptop simply b/c of the lack of flash. She does too many of those facebook apps that are written all in flash. She even has work items that she accesses from home, that are oddly enough, done in flash ( some insurance thing for keeping her license up to date ).

I played with an iPad for about 30 min at an Apple store. Yes, it was a little snappier than my 3GS but overall it felt like a large iPhone. It was just a prettier screen and watching movies/reading books on a screen like that would be far more enjoyable than on an iPhone. Unfortunately, the iPad ( for me ) doesn't replace enough hardware for my girlfriend and I ( she'd still need her laptop ) to justify the purchase.

I like the iPad, I just can't justify the expense for hardware it would end up replacing in my house ( which at this point would be nothing :( )

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The original poster was simply plugging his web site... he does not even deserve my response to his article - so I won't give one. Carry on. ;)

derrythe

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I will say it again I never understand why everyone is so obsessed with proving one thing is better than another?

There are a number of reasons people exhibit this behavior. The first one being that we as a species are a naturally class based or hierarchal people. This is why communism will never work. People are wired to want to have more than others, a bigger share of the pie, so we reason with ourselves as to why our possessions are better than another's. Secondly, we are also creatures that pride ourselves on our intelligence and logic/reasoning. We do not want to think that we are stupid or make bad choices. So when we buy a product, we want to think that it is the best version of that product to own and that we made an intelligent decision when we bought it. This is why the game console wars are so heated, with everyone screaming that their xbox or ps3 is the better console for whatever reason.

I hope I helped you understand. I personally wish we could all just get along and love one another.

Last edited:

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Anytime one wants to compare a netbook to an iPad...do us all a favor and just hand that person your iPad and ask him or her does their netbook look and feel the way this device does.

I'm sorry but for a unit the size of a magazine with a battery life that's almost ridiculous as to how long it is...I'll sacrifice many things, you can keep you 4 usb slots.

iPad is the first of its kind...holding one in your hand just feels spectacular and unlike nothing we've been used to holding or using in the past. No not everyone needs one, but boy am I glad I bought myself one!

I mainly keep it covered with the apple case, every once in a while I take it off and fall in love with the sleek smooth design all over again :) If you had a detachable battery, it would ruin everything. Literally. I'm just amazed how some people still can't comprehend that.

Last edited:

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry but I'll take all of the amazing apps over all the corny little flash games that are online anyway! I love having an iPad and don't want a net book at all. I got my MacBook for uses that the iPad can't cover. Since getting the iPad over a week ago I have used my MacBook once to sync my iPhone and to listen to the TiPb podcast.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW