Returned my WiFi iPad, but . . . .

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Much to my dismay, I am going to return my WiFi iPad this afternoon. I was so ready to use this device that I did not read the fine print about not having GPS or a compass. Fortunately, I learned about this while using the demo units at the Apple Store and did not open my purchase. I took it home to think about it overnight and decided to go ahead and return it. While I am at the store, I am going to pre-order the Wifi+3G model and just wait until the end of the month. While I will be missing out on a few weeks of utility and fun, I would prefer to have a device that will be able to leverage the full features of any applications produced for the iPad, including any of the fantastic augmented reality apps currently available on the iPhone. I feel that in the long run, it is worth waiting a few weeks. Maybe by then there will be a really simple way to import and store PDFs.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I hear you. I waffled back and forth and ended up choosing to wait for the 3G iPad. I'm not sure how often I'll use the 3G option, but it's nice to have it if I need it.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Much to my dismay, I am going to return my WiFi iPad this afternoon. I was so ready to use this device that I did not read the fine print about not having GPS or a compass. Fortunately, I learned about this while using the demo units at the Apple Store and did not open my purchase. I took it home to think about it overnight and decided to go ahead and return it. While I am at the store, I am going to pre-order the Wifi+3G model and just wait until the end of the month. While I will be missing out on a few weeks of utility and fun, I would prefer to have a device that will be able to leverage the full features of any applications produced for the iPad, including any of the fantastic augmented reality apps currently available on the iPhone. I feel that in the long run, it is worth waiting a few weeks. Maybe by then there will be a really simple way to import and store PDFs.
It is interesting that you say that. I discovered, to my surprise, that the iPad's version of Google maps knows precisely where I almost instantly.

Jerry-O

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So the WiFi version of the iPad does not have GPS capabilities but the 3G does??

Does the 3G need to be activated with a data plan to use the GPS??

This does not make sense.. what does the 3G side of things have to do with the GPS receiver? My garmin is not 3G and works great.

Need clarification.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
So the WiFi version of the iPad does not have GPS capabilities but the 3G does??

Does the 3G need to be activated with a data plan to use the GPS??

This does not make sense.. what does the 3G side of things have to do with the GPS receiver? My garmin is not 3G and works great.

Need clarification.

I don't have all the answers, but see my post above.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Finds me too. At home or even tethered.

My weather apps know where i am. I'm thinking that's good enough for most apps that want to know my location.

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
According to the Apple web site and the employees at the Apple store, there is no GPS or compass. They could have meant "augmented GPS" where the location is assisted by GPS servers online, but there is definitely no compass.

Last edited:

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
From Engadget:

Did you know there's a magnetic compass inside the iPad? From the same company as Clinometer HD comes Compass HD, which -- you guessed it -- offers up magnetic compass functionality, but it also integrates the iPad's accelerometers to double as a g-meter (you can change modes using the tabs at the bottom of the app).

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Pressing the "locate me" button in the Maps app twice will use the iPad's compass. It shows the compass in the top right corner and even has the "magnetic interference or re-calibrate" popup.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Here's what Apple has listed for "location" on iPad

• Digital compass
  • Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
  • Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

And here's a screenshot of using the compass on wifi iPad.

4497489755_8063d9049d.jpg

RKMichael

Mar 18, 2010
ipodrepairblog.com
iPad wifi can still find your location on google maps via wifi hotspots but the 3G Apple will have assisted GPS meaning it will use 3G towers to locate you. I don't know why you would want to use it for GPS anyway it's too big to hold while driving...

skirsk

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
iPad wifi can still find your location on google maps via wifi hotspots but the 3G Apple will have assisted GPS meaning it will use 3G towers to locate you. I don't know why you would want to use it for GPS anyway it's too big to hold while driving...
This was my thinking also when picking one up. I'm not at all trying to talk anyone into not buying one or the other, and think everyone will love either model, but for me I still have my phone first and foremost for my GPS duties. I will not be using the iPad while driving ever. And when surfing it now at home or at a coffee shop, friends house, etc , it always knows my location enough for me. I'm more than satisfied with a WiFi only model.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site

Of course, enthusiasts will find a way to mount the thing. Toss in some turn-by-turn voice directions and we're in business.

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I worked in research in the military long before the advent of the iPhone. Augmented controls deal with virtual environments as well as real environments. Augmented reality can be applied to the maps app using street view, but as far as it applies to the world of i-Pad/Phone, you are correct in saying that you would usually see these applications associated with a camera.

Unfortunately, I already returned the iPad and pre-ordered the Wifi+3G. No worries though. Thanks for all of the great information. I am going to speak to the "Genius" that told me that the Wifi-only iPad did not have a compass.