Ipad vs MacBook

jervis961

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
My goal, once I receive my iPad 3G (someday.... someday....), I plan to see how far I can push that sucker to replace what I do with my MBP. I have a theory and I realize my theory may be laughable to some, but here it is: Steve Jobs and Apple are not pitching the iPad as a laptop replacement because they still sell a bunch of MBs and MBPs. As a first generation device, the iPad isn't completely ready for that anyway. But... I believe that Steve-o very much believes that the iPad is not truly a 3rd category -- it will one day be the device that replaces laptops. I'm wearing my asbestos suit in preparation for the flaming ;)

Actually, I don't think you are too far off. There are some great apps that are making me spend less and less time on the MBP. I say 3rd gen will be when the iPad really hits it's stride.

mqguitar

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPad, and had a macbook which gave away to family and my computer now is an iMac. The iPad doesnt replace a laptop completely just yet. Look into the future people. Remember the first iphone? and look at what it can do know and still ahead. I know for sure that once multitasking comes and i have a feeling more things will be implemented in OS 4 for the ipad. Because why the dealy till fall right? It will probably replace many of the things a laptop does. Yet of course it all depends what you do with your laptop at the end of the day. For programming, music creation, and editing photos and things. Probably not yet. Albeit that i have seen nice photo editing softwares and music creation software on the ipad that works great and the experience is awesome.

The iPad is not a laptop replacement if you use a laptop for those things. But think about a laptop is portable and the macbooks are real expensive. Why not buy an iMac for your tougher bigger tasks and get an iPad as your portable device for media viewing and things. Which im sure so many people use it just for that anyways.

the ipad is awesome, and i just can not wait to see what the future holds for it :)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
My goal, once I receive my iPad 3G (someday.... someday....), I plan to see how far I can push that sucker to replace what I do with my MBP. I have a theory and I realize my theory may be laughable to some, but here it is: Steve Jobs and Apple are not pitching the iPad as a laptop replacement because they still sell a bunch of MBs and MBPs. As a first generation device, the iPad isn't completely ready for that anyway. But... I believe that Steve-o very much believes that the iPad is not truly a 3rd category -- it will one day be the device that replaces laptops. I'm wearing my asbestos suit in preparation for the flaming ;)
I really do not want it to replace my laptops; I have three. I like them. I like what they do and how they do it. When I had no alternative, I did not even mind carrying them, not even the 7 pound Toshiba.

I just noticed that, even when in the same room with laptops, I often preferred the iPhone. I discovered Air Mouse and found that the iPhone was a good way to operate the laptops. Then I discovered LogMeIn Ignition and found that I did not have to carry a laptop at all.

So, what I want the iPad to do is give me one more choice about what to carry and how to do my applications. Of course, I am still waiting for Apple to ship so I am not quite sure how well it will work, but I am pretty sure that I will not carry a laptop on any trips less than a week after I get my iPad.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
The iPad is definitely not a replacement for a laptop... but it wasn't designed to be. With that said, the iPad will replace *some* things you use a laptop for. Primarily content consumption. There have been several days that after coming home from school, my MacBook never left my backpack as I only used my iPad for the rest of the night. I dare even say that the iPad has replaced most of my laptop uses, but definitely not all of them.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The iPad has alot of good features and depending on the user it may replace alot of basic functions of a laptop. It is however a media consumption device right now while the laptop is a media creation device. Yes if you are a very basic user you could say that it replaces your need for a laptop but this is not the case for the majority of people. My iPad allows me to take my MBP home only on the weekends but that's only if I don't have to do more than basic things at home. You can't even join in the live TiPb show on ustream fully. If I have to use photoshop, iMovie, Excel I have to carry my laptop home. So the list of things the Macbook can do that the iPad can't will be a very, very long list.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm still getting used to mines and finding it's true place in my life. I think it will definitely keep me away from my Mac to do things like this. Browse the web, post on tipb forums, emails and some MINOR productivity tasks such as create to-dos, create a new calendar appt, and even update my budget. Other than that it can't possibly replace my MacBook. Uploading & Editing my photos. Creating iMovies & finishing them off with iDVD. And a bunch of other stuff. The more I use it the happier I am with the purchase. I'm hoping that happiness continues to grow!

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
My iPad has replaced my Macbook for 90% of the stuff i do at home. But the 10% that the iPad CAN'T do is how I make 100% of my paycheck.

What I want to see is a 12" Macbook with a touchscreen.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner