iPad screen protector: to be or not to be?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
My iPhones have all received the same treatment out of the box -- I immediately apply a screen protector, even though the glass is scratch resistant and now smudge-resistant. With my new iPad on order, I'm trying to decide if I want to apply the same treatment or go "naked" with that gorgeous 10" display. I'm leaning toward naked. Community thoughts?

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Thats a large screen protector. You're not putting the iPad in your pocket so I dont imagine in needs one all that bad.

MikeCase

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I keep a screen protector on my phone is to protect it from potential hazards in my pocket like keys. Since I won't have my iPad in my pocket, it will be naked except when traveling in my bag, I'll be using the Apple case with it.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I'm also leaning toward naked because a screen protector will diminish the screen's luster. I may try an anti-glare one like I have on my iPhone -- I've liked that one.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That would be one big screen protector - would look tacky and honestly scratching a glass screen is not the easiest thing to do. Perhaps I am more careful than most but still...

skirsk

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Go commando! In the two years I've owned my 3G iPhone, I've never used a screen protector. I've tried to apply 2 that came free with my SwitchEasy cases, but messed up both my attempts and have never looked back. I've never had an issue with my screen. No scratches on it, even to this day. I'm a big believer in a case, because, drops I have done. I have to say, going in, it being my first super smart phone, I thought there would have been more babying required, but the thing has been a soldier up to this point.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Have you been going commando successfully with your iPhone? No scratches? Smudge-resistant?

I've tried a screen protector back on the original iPhone - removed it and it's been that way ever since. Again I am more careful than most though. :eek:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Even with the coating, don't you experience a fair amount of fingerprints, smudging and glare, Jeremy?

I carry around the cloth I got with my new MacBook Pro in my pocket at all times... I have a bottle of iKlear at my desk at work and one bottle at home... I'm prepared. ;)

The coating on the screen does help some but it's not perfect.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Even with the coating, don't you experience a fair amount of fingerprints, smudging and glare, Jeremy?
I'm going to put a giant screen protector on mine. My iPhone's screen is scratched all over but the actual screen isn't taking the hit : ) Thanks screen protector and no Apple the iPhone can't go without a screen protector unless you don't care about your phone.

skirsk

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an iPad at Best Buy today and the salesman tried to sell me the screen protector for $31 dollars and before I could say no, he said "the Geek Squad can also install it for you for 13 bucks". I could NOT stop laughing as he kept trying to talk. :p I think I'll start a sticker collection and call them out for help putting the stickers in the book.

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I had the same issue as you so I ran to my local zagg cart got the screen shield and put it on my iPad. Guess what less than a day I took it off, it degraded the screen and feel. So for me no screen protection just a micro fiber and the oem apple sleeve . And figure this life is short let's enjoy our gadgets to the fullest and stop hiding them with plastic and rubber. And antiglare will also lower screen quality I also had that on my iPhone crystal is much better if u need one.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I took the anti-glare cover off my iPhone and, yes, it's a tad more vibrant, but I couldn't stand the fingerprinting and smudging! I put a new cover on and am enjoying less glare and virtually no fingerprinting or smudging. If I can get a similar one for the iPad -- the same thickness and quality of the one that is now on my iPhone -- I might have to do it. Jury is still out! :)

Wasgo

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I've tried a screen protector back on the original iPhone - removed it and it's been that way ever since. Again I am more careful than most though. :eek:

I'm not careful with my iPhone but I still wouldn't use a screen protector. I'd rather have one or two small scratches than have to deal with the way my phone looked and felt with a screen protector.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I have the anti-glare one I got from Apple for my 3G. I LOVE it! I love not having fingerprints all over the screen and the screen still looks good color wise. I will say that when I get an iPad (next week) I won't be putting a screen protector on because like others said it wont be in my pocket so I'm not worried about it too much.

I can't believe Best Buy has the audacity to charge $13 to apply a screen protector to a screen!!!!! Its a process that takes less than 30 seconds, especially on a big screen where there is more room for your hands to be! I love Best Buy but they should be ashamed of themselves for that! I actually want to go to a Best Buy and try to buy a screen protector to see if they offer me that service so I can let them know how crazy that is!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2