iPad Pro (2020) deals at Amazon: Save $100 or more!

I’ve stated for years the iPad Pro should be able to truly be a pro device and should be able to run macOS. iPadOS , although good, is still limiting, in my opinion. What do you think of the thread question?
    04-10-2021 04:32 PM
    I wouldn’t want to run the Mac OS on my iPad Pro. I think to do so would reduce the functionality of the operating system that runs on a Mac. The two types of device are optimised for different purposes.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-10-2021 04:54 PM
    Don’t really see the point op.
    Once apples transition from intel to apple silicon is complete and all Mac apps are ported over and can run natively on iPads, it kind of becomes a moot point.
    Just_Me_D and calebt like this.
    04-10-2021 05:02 PM
    I wouldn’t want to run the Mac OS on my iPad Pro. I think to do so would reduce the functionality of the operating system that runs on a Mac. The two types of device are optimised for different purposes.
    I’m not sure I understand. How would running macOS on an iPad Pro ‘reduce the functionality of the operating system’ on the Mac? The functionality should remain the same with the difference being the devices themselves.
    04-10-2021 05:06 PM
    Once apples transition from intel to apple silicon is complete and all Mac apps are ported over and can run natively on iPads, it kind of becomes a moot point.
    Good point….
    04-10-2021 05:07 PM
    A Mac has a far more complex range
    of capabilities. From programming function keys ( which require an expanded keyboard ). A Mac is not such a closed system. You have Terminal and the Command Line. The list is endless.

Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-10-2021 05:57 PM
    I think the plan is the other way round. Macs will be able to run iPad Apps, by emulation if necessary.
    Last edited by Mars20; 04-11-2021 at 04:03 AM.
    04-11-2021 02:12 AM
    I think the plan is the other way round. Macs will be able to run iPad Apps, by emulation if necessary.
    Not really, since that would not require any transition or emulation.

Apple silicon can already run iOS apps natively.
    04-11-2021 11:06 AM
    I use a Surface Pro 7 for work.

And unless Apple makes a better touch interface than Microsoft for their older operating system, it’s best that they stay completely separate.

My number two work tool, PowerShell (Windows PowerShell and PowerShell Core) pretty much don’t work with a touchscreen. And the Apple equivalent (Terminal) does not exist on iPadOS and the macOS version is as friendly as Windows.

For the other tools, most of them have very small touch targets and are very hard to use, even when provided by Microsoft.

The better interfaces I have seen are: Remote Desktop and websites (includes desktop Microsoft Teams client).

I want to be proven wrong by Apple, but I don’t see it happening as is. I have situations where a touch-only laptop is better suited, and I use my Surface in those kinds of scenarios, even if I can’t do 100% of my work.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-11-2021 01:10 PM
    The reason why I'll never purchase an iPad Pro because of iPadOS. I wish Apple would make the iPad Pro run like the Surface Pro tablets. Surface Pros run like actual computers, not like mobile devices. The hardware is wasted on the software on the iPad Pro.
    04-22-2021 09:29 PM