Should Apple Allow macOS To Be Run On The iPad Pro?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve stated for years the iPad Pro should be able to truly be a pro device and should be able to run macOS. iPadOS , although good, is still limiting, in my opinion. What do you think of the thread question?

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn’t want to run the Mac OS on my iPad Pro. I think to do so would reduce the functionality of the operating system that runs on a Mac. The two types of device are optimised for different purposes.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Don’t really see the point op.
Once apples transition from intel to apple silicon is complete and all Mac apps are ported over and can run natively on iPads, it kind of becomes a moot point.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t want to run the Mac OS on my iPad Pro. I think to do so would reduce the functionality of the operating system that runs on a Mac. The two types of device are optimised for different purposes.

I’m not sure I understand. How would running macOS on an iPad Pro ‘reduce the functionality of the operating system’ on the Mac? The functionality should remain the same with the difference being the devices themselves.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Once apples transition from intel to apple silicon is complete and all Mac apps are ported over and can run natively on iPads, it kind of becomes a moot point.

Good point….:)

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
A Mac has a far more complex range
of capabilities. From programming function keys ( which require an expanded keyboard ). A Mac is not such a closed system. You have Terminal and the Command Line. The list is endless.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site

I think the plan is the other way round. Macs will be able to run iPad Apps, by emulation if necessary.

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the plan is the other way round. Macs will be able to run iPad Apps, by emulation if necessary.

Not really, since that would not require any transition or emulation.

Apple silicon can already run iOS apps natively.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I use a Surface Pro 7 for work.

And unless Apple makes a better touch interface than Microsoft for their older operating system, it’s best that they stay completely separate.

My number two work tool, PowerShell (Windows PowerShell and PowerShell Core) pretty much don’t work with a touchscreen. And the Apple equivalent (Terminal) does not exist on iPadOS and the macOS version is as friendly as Windows.

For the other tools, most of them have very small touch targets and are very hard to use, even when provided by Microsoft.

The better interfaces I have seen are: Remote Desktop and websites (includes desktop Microsoft Teams client).

I want to be proven wrong by Apple, but I don’t see it happening as is. I have situations where a touch-only laptop is better suited, and I use my Surface in those kinds of scenarios, even if I can’t do 100% of my work.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The reason why I'll never purchase an iPad Pro because of iPadOS. I wish Apple would make the iPad Pro run like the Surface Pro tablets. Surface Pros run like actual computers, not like mobile devices. The hardware is wasted on the software on the iPad Pro.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
"Surface Pros run like actual computers"

Except they don't work as tablets. Windows 10 blows as a touch system.

BTW, an iPad IS an "actual computer". An "actual computer" is not defined as having a mouse and a "C" drive.

"The hardware is wasted on the software on the iPad Pro."

LOL, good one.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The reason why I'll never purchase an iPad Pro because of iPadOS. I wish Apple would make the iPad Pro run like the Surface Pro tablets. Surface Pros run like actual computers, not like mobile devices. The hardware is wasted on the software on the iPad Pro.

I’m thankful iPad os is nothing like the surface or I wouldn’t have one.

Sales wise iPad sells a lot more than the surface, no idea why apple would want to tank iPad sales by copying a bad product.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2